• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Range expansion... the other direction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soulfire
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:39 am    Post subject: Range expansion... the other direction Reply with quote

Hey Guys!

So during this pandemic period, I've taken it upon myself to work on expanding my range in both directions... because why not?

The upper end is going pretty well so far. I'm getting more control over the lower end, but I really want to get that nice fat pedal C that I've seen so many pros have.

In the past, I've been able to play a pedal C by lipping down (sounds like garbage but it exists at least), but a recent Chase Sanborn video has him explaining he lips up from that lower slot, giving him that nice fat sound I want. He describes the lower slot to be a Bb. I find mine is much lower than that, almost a G. I've been able to get it up to an A, sometimes A#, but then I hit that break right where he says his lower slot begins lol. Of course I'm just going to keep plugging away, but I'm wondering how many other people have the slot that low?

Last edited by soulfire on Wed May 06, 2020 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the same problem you're describing when trying to play pedal C.

I've had some luck getting a nice sounding pedal C by making sure I don't lower my jaw too much and keeping the same mouthpiece contact on my lower lip. I can't explain any secret to getting it other than that. Also not overblowing. For me it comes out when I'm not forcing it. I can't play it very loud, but it has a nice sound.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The resonance peak for that 1st harmonic is arond an A. The C is deep into the non-resonant "trough". Dont worry if you cant play a C open.

See my videos in the recent thread titled "Pedal Tones 101" in "Pedagogy".

I explain pedals there.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=153805
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: