• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chinatown sound track

View previous topic :: View next topic  
william_p

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject: Chinatown sound track Reply with quote

I re-watched that great noir movie, and for the first time in a long time stayed through the credits. What was the music behind the credits, and who was the trumpet (cornet?) solo? Whoever it was bent a note so beautifully I sat hypnotized, wishing I'd been able to do that.

TIA.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uan Rasey was the performer, and Jerry Goldsmith the composer. Two of my favourite musicians ever!!

David Koch wrote, performed and recorded a stunning arrangement of the Love Theme from Chinatown - his playing is tremendous... you ought to give this a listen!

Link

https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've real all this and I'm sure there are others that have more immediate knowledge, but here goes...

For years, Uan Rasey had played a kind of Frankenhorn Olds, I think Robb Stewart's site says. He didn't like the feel of the Recording balanced model, but it was a Recording bell on another Olds body. I thought this is what Uan Rasey used for Chinatown, but no; he used a King Silver Flair. There's several threads about lessons with Uan (and one incredible anecdote by Tim Wendt about one of his lessons with Uan), but apparently Uan was NOT an equipment snob. When Olds asked him to play their Recording, he apparently misunderstood and responded something like, 'Oh, yes; an Ambassador is a nice horn, that'll work for me...' He played that Chinatown solo, which is hauntingly beautiful, after a week vacation when he probably did not touch a horn. He came in expecting a full orchestral setup for the recording session - and found one chair set up - a chair for him alone. All things considered, I think it's one of the most treasured trumpet solo's around; certainly in the movie world.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:
I've real all this and I'm sure there are others that have more immediate knowledge, but here goes...

For years, Uan Rasey had played a kind of Frankenhorn Olds, I think Robb Stewart's site says. He didn't like the feel of the Recording balanced model, but it was a Recording bell on another Olds body. I thought this is what Uan Rasey used for Chinatown, but no; he used a King Silver Flair. There's several threads about lessons with Uan (and one incredible anecdote by Tim Wendt about one of his lessons with Uan), but apparently Uan was NOT an equipment snob. When Olds asked him to play their Recording, he apparently misunderstood and responded something like, 'Oh, yes; an Ambassador is a nice horn, that'll work for me...' He played that Chinatown solo, which is hauntingly beautiful, after a week vacation when he probably did not touch a horn. He came in expecting a full orchestral setup for the recording session - and found one chair set up - a chair for him alone. All things considered, I think it's one of the most treasured trumpet solo's around; certainly in the movie world.

So far as I know he played a Silver Flair on this session, but I would love to be corrected.

Jerry Goldsmith also wrote this score in short order. Another genius, and a real treasure in the world of film scores.

Hope you are keeping well, Jonathan!

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:
JonathanM wrote:
For years, Uan Rasey had played a kind of Frankenhorn Olds, I think Robb Stewart's site says. He didn't like the feel of the Recording balanced model, but it was a Recording bell on another Olds body. I thought this is what Uan Rasey used for Chinatown, but no; he used a King Silver Flair.

So far as I know he played a Silver Flair on this session, but I would love to be corrected.

I could have sworn that I read somewhere that Mr. Rasey's Silver Flair was also a kind of Frankenhorn in that it used some components from the contemporaneous Golden Flair, so I did a Yahoo search and found pictures of his horn on Dr. Valve's Facebook page (he evidently did work on the horn at some point). Here is the link (you can actually flip through several different pictures of the horn from this page):

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1944139345847094&set=uan-rasey-king-silver-flair-we-built-a-second-slide-with-a-saddle-for-this-instr

If you study the pictures, you will see that Mr. Rasey's horn has the valve block (including top and bottom caps), reverse leadpipe/tuning slide setup, and slide saddle/ring (although Dr. Valve speaks of building a "second" first valve slide with a saddle) of the mid-70's Golden Flair, in place of the corresponding stock Silver Flair components.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
william_p

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all!
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I mistaken, do I recall something about the trigger on the stock Silver Flair that he didn't like, or found difficult to use?
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:
Am I mistaken, do I recall something about the trigger on the stock Silver Flair that he didn't like, or found difficult to use?

That could very well be, but it neither addresses nor contradicts the other observable differences in the pictures from Dr. Valve's Facebook page.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Scooter Pirtle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phillip Lambro wrote the original soundtrack that was rejected by Robert Evans. Jerry Goldsmith had ten days to write the soundtrack we know today that features Rasey.

I always wondered what Lambro’s soundtrack sounded like. His music was used in the original theatrical trailer for Chinatown. The original Lambro score was released in 2012 as “Los Angeles, 1937”. And it’s pretty good!!

https://youtu.be/AluXB_5IG8I
Yamaha Chicago C Gen III
www.middlehornleader.com
william_p

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Los Angeles, 1937 - holy cow!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: