• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mute-Tube anyone??

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ltbrown

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Mute-Tube anyone?? Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience with the Mute-Tube accessory? I have been trying to figure out some way to practice in my apartment without having to use a practice mute and I even got to the point where I was considering buying a tiny soundproof 4'x4' room.. I just found the mute-tube online and apparently they have been around for 2 years!

http://www.mute-tube.com

Has anyone tried one or have one? I would love to hear thoughts of anyone who has experience with one of these.

Thanks!
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of it before, but very curious if it really works.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
djpearlman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the recording on their site, the level sounds pretty much like playing with a harmon mute, which is a lot smaller....

- Monette Cornette
- Andalusia Cornet
- Carolbrass Pocket Trumpet
- Monette mouthpieces

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5NafoVeXrsRm-fOhKaIpnA
astadler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From the recording on their site, the level sounds pretty much like playing with a harmon mute, which is a lot smaller....

True, it is bulky and expensive, but even a Harmon mute is going to affect pitch and response things. As someone who does a lot of orchestral playing, this would be a better solution for that kind of playing than a Harmon or practice mute, if I needed to worry about sound in my living situation.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was living in apartment, I built a small box and filled it with egg crate foam. It did the job just fine. I tried to find other places to practice (outside, car, churches) and practice during business hours, but for off hours at home, it worked well enough.

This looks much nice than what I made, but mine cost WAY less and doubled as end table.
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This actually looks like a cool product-effective for city practicing, especially during the day. As for practicing with a harmon mute, that leads to playing issues, while this seems to allow the player to play with the same back pressure and technique.
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been practicing into a Studio case from Marcus Bonna since the fall and it definitely is a lot better than practicing with a mute. I've been in apartments for the last many years and the resistance is almost the same as playing completely open.

The Mute Tube looks like it is a similar idea (slightly cheaper I think, depending on what the euro is doing). The concept definitely works, only question would be ergonomics. I've noticed that due to the nature of the setup the stand is a lot higher (and the "sitting" pictures with the mute tube have it on a table).
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/quilted-cat-igloo/1913835

I've been using this cat 'igloo' with extra padding to try to reduce noise.
Similar idea and perhaps similar volume output too.

Like most of us I'd imagine, I've tried soooo many ways to practice without affecting others. This idea is OK, but still not the best. Although it is incredibly cheap and does help reduce volume, without back-pressure.

Oh, and I've rigged it so that it hangs in my closet, at standing/playing level, so that adds even more reduction in volume.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpethead wrote:
https://www.kmart.com.au/product/quilted-cat-igloo/1913835

I've been using this cat 'igloo' with extra padding to try to reduce noise.
Similar idea and perhaps similar volume output too.

Like most of us I'd imagine, I've tried soooo many ways to practice without affecting others. This idea is OK, but still not the best. Although it is incredibly cheap and does help reduce volume, without back-pressure.

Oh, and I've rigged it so that it hangs in my closet, at standing/playing level, so that adds even more reduction in volume.

Super! Simple, cheap, small and lightweight!
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, let's not compare it with a harmon or practice mute, because it isn't one.

Pros
If you want to play with effects on a gig and have a lot of amplified instruments around you, this could be the answer. I'm guessing a cylinder like this would also limit feedback when using these effects (in the same way a feedback buster on an acoustic guitar would).

At 93dB, that trumpeter isn't playing all too loud in that hall - and if you really want to work on intonation, you need to be able to do that at all volumes, but I think by and far it all comes from softer playing. Having said that, being able to play at slightly louder volumes with less resistance (this will have some, likely small, resistance) can be good.

I guess the advantage is that you can put a mic in it which means you could get a good representation of your recorded sound, or put it through a interface and hear yourself, like an over-the-top silent brass system. Could be good for a minimal studio setup.

Cons

Personally, I think the music stand attachment is a little silly, as it is really close to your face and a little higher up than I would like it. (Minor issue though)

It's not something I would take to a gig, because it's far too bulky and realistically, if I'm going to be playing through a sound system, I want to hear myself and I get the feeling like I'm not going to be able to hear myself as well playing into that thing at louder gigs. Of course, most of the times you'll get a foldback, or be able to use monitor in-ear/cans, but that's not always the case (for me at least).

It's also prohibitively expensive as a standalone practice tool in my opinion. Unless you have a sub-optimal studio setup and want to record at all hours of the day without soundproofing a room, or play live with effects AS WELL, it may not be worth the money.

Ifthe response from behind the horn isn't effected, this could be cool - I have a suspicion that I wouldn't like the response, but I'd have to play it for myself to know that. Also, if you were to compare with other methods of limiting noise for practice, it isn't as effective, and unless you're working on intonation at medium to loud volumes, it does the same job.
supercow216

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hei,

I revive this thread since I just bought a MUTE TUBE BASIC from Thomann a few days ago. We live in an appartment building, with a baby, plus christmas, so I think the purchase is justified .

The product is very solid (~7kg the tube + 6 kg metal stand). It is big, easily accomodate anyone up to 1m90 (~8.4feet?).

Raising the trumpet and putting it in the tube requires some time to get used to. If your playing angle is low (downward, >15 degree), putting in the tube is simple. If you play with bell horizontal, you actually need to raise the trumpet then step toward the tube to put in.

It is quite restrictive in movement, so I would not recommend it if you pivot a lot, or play live as a mic holder.

As you may guess, there is no resistant in blowing. But being restrictive in movement may cause additional tension in playing at first. After 1hr of testing, I think I got used to it.

Sound/Volune: The volume is between a Harmon mute and Straight mute. It is not for night practicing. Your roommate/mate will still hear it from the next room. However, by cutting off the upper frequency, it actually makes the sound very mellow and much more bearable for others. As you put the trumpet deeper into the tube, the sound is stuffier but not quieter. From the player perspective, I can judge my sound and tell/feel when I overblow or when the sound is airy.

The music board: I think a tablet is best used here. A4 music sheets may be slightly too big. It is quite close to the face if you put the bell deep into the tube.

Overall, I am happy with the product for my situation (semi-tolerant neighbor and baby) and will keep it.
I definitely don't see it live (as gimmick maaaybe), night practice or traveling. People playing with horizontal trumpet angle may find it harder to get used to.

I am still learning!
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might go to my local Lowes hardware store and pick up a 5 Gallon plastic bucket with lid then scrounge around for some foam. A cheap experiment. I have an old mic stand and old music stand for mounts.

Oh - I was wondering - what do bagpipe players do? The following link is an article on sound propagation of bagpipes that some might find interesting.

https://bagpipe.news/2020/07/14/the-acoustical-environment-of-the-highland-bagpipe-out-of-doors/

The old joke about trumpets sounding better at a distance applies.

The distance being calculated in kilometers...
Pablopiccasso
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supercow216 wrote:
Hei,

I revive this thread since I just bought a MUTE TUBE BASIC from Thomann a few days ago. We live in an appartment building, with a baby, plus christmas, so I think the purchase is justified .

The product is very solid (~7kg the tube + 6 kg metal stand). It is big, easily accomodate anyone up to 1m90 (~8.4feet?).

Raising the trumpet and putting it in the tube requires some time to get used to. If your playing angle is low (downward, >15 degree), putting in the tube is simple. If you play with bell horizontal, you actually need to raise the trumpet then step toward the tube to put in.

It is quite restrictive in movement, so I would not recommend it if you pivot a lot, or play live as a mic holder.

As you may guess, there is no resistant in blowing. But being restrictive in movement may cause additional tension in playing at first. After 1hr of testing, I think I got used to it.

Sound/Volune: The volume is between a Harmon mute and Straight mute. It is not for night practicing. Your roommate/mate will still hear it from the next room. However, by cutting off the upper frequency, it actually makes the sound very mellow and much more bearable for others. As you put the trumpet deeper into the tube, the sound is stuffier but not quieter. From the player perspective, I can judge my sound and tell/feel when I overblow or when the sound is airy.

The music board: I think a tablet is best used here. A4 music sheets may be slightly too big. It is quite close to the face if you put the bell deep into the tube.

Overall, I am happy with the product for my situation (semi-tolerant neighbor and baby) and will keep it.
I definitely don't see it live (as gimmick maaaybe), night practice or traveling. People playing with horizontal trumpet angle may find it harder to get used to.

Well, how much quieter was it? What do other people in your household think?
supercow216

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pablopiccasso wrote:
supercow216 wrote:
Hei,

Well, how much quieter was it? What do other people in your household think?

The volume is not on the harmon mute level but definitely quieter than a straight mute. My wife thinks it is easier on the ear, due to both the lowered volume and the high frequency dampened. She is thus okay with the price tag

My biggest issue is the restriction in trumpet movement, which takes some time to figure out how to get used to.

I am still learning!
Pablopiccasso
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a similar producer called the "musician coat trumpet by Phoncote"
Except its squarer in shape.

Or perhaps rwoTroyStudio Portable Sound Recording Vocal Booth Boxes at 30quid each?
Pablopiccasso
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pablopiccasso wrote:

Or perhaps rwoTroyStudio Portable Sound Recording Vocal Booth Boxes at 30quid each?

Here is the website address

https://www.musician-coat.com/
supercow216

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pablopiccasso wrote:
Pablopiccasso wrote:

Here is the website address

https://www.musician-coat.com/

I have never heard to this, very intesrting. Thanks. They need a video demo for this.

It looks much lighter and smaller than the mute-tube. However, -15dB is not a big reduction (about range of straight mute). But again, mute-tube is not all that much quieter. It just makes the sound more tolerable.

The vocal booth purpose is to remove echo, making the voice crispier. They hardly do anything in term of volume reduction.

I am still learning!
Pablopiccasso
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm making my own mute tube. So far, 15 for a bin with a lid from IKEA, 8 for a foam yoga mat from the supermarket. I cut a hole in the bin lid and used a hot glue gun to spot glue the cut up foam mat into the bin.

According to my sound meter free phone app I've got a 10db noise reduction or there abouts. It certainly takes the edge of the loud and high stuff, all for €23.

I might buy some proper acoustic foam, some high density flat felt and some lighter eggbox stuff on top like the mute tube. That's no more than 60

A PA speaker stand is 30, and an adjustable drum tom Tom bracket is expensive, say 40. (unless anyone has some recommendations for a good alternative).

Thats €153 plus a bit of time to cut, glue, and screw it all together. That's half the price of the mute tube or trumpet coat. If I get around to it.

But so far I'm impressed with my bin. I just pop onto the kitchen table and sit down and blow into that.

I'd encourage others to try it. € 23 instead of €379, that's a lot of beer tokens.

I could always add a mic socket if I want to record using it. I can't imagine a male/female mic socket would be too expensive.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pablopiccasso wrote:
I'm making my own mute tube. So far, 15 for a bin with a lid from IKEA, 8 for a foam yoga mat from the supermarket. I cut a hole in the bin lid and used a hot glue gun to spot glue the cut up foam mat into the bin.

hi maestro
do you have a link to the IKEA bin?
i have an inkling to makes me one for meself

thanks
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
das

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:

hi maestro
do you have a link to the IKEA bin?
i have an inkling to makes me one for meself

thanks

I recently built something similar to the musician coat. Could post the product links, but from German amazon (don't know if this would be helpful).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: