• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece Selection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcox6918

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Mouthpiece Selection Reply with quote

An interesting thought because throughout my trumpet playing over the years, I have only used the mouthpieces that I was given and never actively went out to choose a good mouthpiece that I liked or liked to play on. I kind of just stuck to what I was given...

The only mouthpieces I played on for some duration of time would be the Bach 1 1/2C and a 5C but mostly a 1 1/2C. (I've had a 3C, 7C, Giardellini 12M, Stork 1C) *Actually I quite liked the feeling of the Stork but maybe 1C wasn't the right one for me.

How did you go about buying a mouthpiece that you liked or how did you buy the mouthpiece that worked out for you?

With best wishes,

JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started trumpet in the 60's, the instrument came with a Bach 7.
I dabbled briefly with a Bach 5C, but returned to the 7. A few years ago I bought a new Bach 7 and continue to use it. Also tried a Blessing 7C for a while (it came with another horn).

I played French horn for quite a while before returning to trpt, started with a Holton DC, and did a mini safari of several others - finally returning to the Holton.

For me, it's largely a matter of which one feels comfortable, and doesn't exhibit problems.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the conventional wisdom is to try a few different makes and sizes of mouthpieces then stick with the one that fits you the best until you are experienced well with it. But I'm afraid human nature is to the contrary for many players.

In my case, I had to go through a TON of mouthpieces before I came up with my present one. All of that could have been avoided by just fine-tuning what I initially had because that's what I wound up with.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
rcox6918

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I think the conventional wisdom is to try a few different makes and sizes of mouthpieces then stick with the one that fits you the best until you are experienced well with it. But I'm afraid human nature is to the contrary for many players.

In my case, I had to go through a TON of mouthpieces before I came up with my present one. All of that could have been avoided by just fine-tuning what I initially had because that's what I wound up with.

Is there a place where one could try out a lot of mouthpieces without having to purchase them?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can check with some places like Mouthpiece Express, Osmun's, Woodwind and Brasswind and others but if they let you return them, you will have to pay return postage and a "restocking fee", who's cost varies. I mail-ordered all of mine in the normal manner and then re-sold them, privately. . . at a big loss, I might add.

As far as "a place" that would depend upon where you live.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Richard A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Mouthpiece Selecting Reply with quote

rcox6918 wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

Is there a place where one could try out a lot of mouthpieces without having to purchase them?

I had a fitting session with a GR consultant (Alexa Yates). Time and money well spent.
chrisf3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with kehaulani - to piggyback on that, I have used Mouthpiece Express a lot and it's a fantastic way to go! The restocking fee is nominal as opposed to being stuck with something you don't like. With patience, you can do it yourself.

The thing is, you would be trying mouthpieces that have not had any modifications done to them. I believe that a mouthpiece needs to "fit" you. When we start out at 12 years old, a 7c might be perfect for smaller lips. As we get older, a 1-1/2c may feel the way a 7c used to. Only you (maybe with the help of a teacher) can decide what fits you best - this is where trying out mouthpieces by mail really helps. It should feel good on the face with our lips free to vibrate, without the feeling of falling in.

For me, I stuck with one brand so sizing was consistent. I used Yamaha mouthpieces in my search - they're cheap, consistent and well made. Once I decided on a size, trying different brands in that size allowed me to compare rims that felt good. Later on, you can go down the path of slightly opening up the throat. The wisdom is go one size at a time until you find the sound you like with healthy resistance. Keep it simple at first! Fit to the face and then open up slightly.

Finding a size that feels good with a slightly open throat could be done in an afternoon. Finding your "perfect" mouthpiece might take a lot longer. Fortunately, there is a quicker second way - GR mouthpiece fittings are a great shortcut! Just be sure to have a decent idea of what size you like before you go in.
rcox6918

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo, how much are these fitting sessions? What exactly happens in these sessions?
chrisf3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully there's a GR person on here who can give a better idea. However, I had a fitting a few years back. The closest thing I can compare it to is an eye exam. "Try this - better or worse? Ok, now let's go in this direction. Better or worse?" Mine started with the question "What size do you usually play?" which, if I'm being honest, kept me in the size I was currently playing. Eventually, I ended up selling them and going one bigger.

That said, it's a great idea and a great experience. Alexa Yates is in the Atlanta area and Brian Scriver is in Toronto. These are both big cities that are easily reachable when things get back up and running. If I recall, the cost was nominal but the mouthpieces aren't cheap. They are made extremely well, though. So, what you get is a high-quality product fit for you. Once agin, just keep in mind that you should have at least a small idea of what you're looking for as a jumping off place when you do go. Good luck and post your results of how things work out for you!
Richard A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: GR Mouthpiece Fitting Reply with quote

rcox6918 wrote:
Oooo, how much are these fitting sessions? What exactly happens in these sessions?

When I did it it was a series of exercises and a series of mouthpieces, played with Alexa Yates listening. It took 2-2.5 hours and I played at least a dozen mouthpieces before settling on the one that played best.

I was truly surprised at the difference changes in critical dimensions made to how a mouthpiece played and felt. It was $75, and worth every bit.
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Alexa Yates is not in the music business anymore. There are other GR consultants located around the country. Access the GR web site or contact Brian Scriver. He can send you a GR "play test" to help you. He is a "consultant" and also great with advise. GR play tests can be done via Skype. You would still have to have an assortment of mpcs to try. Some GR dealers have a return policy. And there are many used ones available.

It can be helpful if you are near a mpc manufacturer to access their inventory. It's a treacherous $ path to start a mpc safari and most of us have those scars. I found mine though luck and a GR consultant. Tough to decide if the one you have is great or the next one you try will be "the one". No other instrument is beset with a mental dilemma of these proportions. Good luck.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of this presupposes that you will find the right mouthpiece. You may find the right mouthpiece for you now, with that horn, playing what you are playing now. But what about later? You'll change. The instrument will change. The music will change. Plus, trying something isn't enough time to really know. I truly believe everyone needs to have a ton of mouthpieces. Yup. There will be times when you think you know. Then you hit that music that it doesn't work the way you want. Dip into the collection and wham, there it is.

I have a bunch of mouthpieces for french horn, baritone, trumpet and cornet. It takes a long time before I'm willing to sell one. For each, I can say I have 6-8 that really work. They all have different sounds and responses. But they are the keepers. Reducing to just one or even a few is short sighted. You just never know what the future holds.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: mouthpiece selection Reply with quote

As many people I have bought a ton of mouthpieces.Was a big fan of 3 C mouthpieces, especially Denis Wick mouthpieces. Hated all of the Bach mouthpieces I received with trumpet purchases and ones I bought separately. Until I bought a Getzen 700 Eterna trumpet, it came with a Bach 1.5 C trumpet mouthpiece.
Looking forward to playing with my soon to arrive Getzen Renaissance trumpet.
Yamaha 11 e4 cornet mouthpiece
Yamaha 9e cornet mouthpiece
Bach 5 B cornet mouthpiece
lukeypoo

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I went about finding a size I liked might be a bit of an unconventional or unpopular method but it works for me. If you spend any amount of time on eBay, you can find some fine mouthpieces for a pretty low price. It's as simple as buying some 5-10$ mouthpieces, trying them out for a while, them either keeping them or reselling them for a profit, ot even just to even out.

I've used it to find ballpark estimates of the size I like. I bought an Olds 3 for like 8 bucks, and now I know I really like small, flat mouthpieces. It could never compare to a professional consultation, but it's cheaper and easier
(Sidenote: PLEASE clean them thoroughly, especially in times like these)
Hope this is helpful!
Cornet:
H.N White/King Cleveland Superior
Mouthpieces:
Olds 3, VB Corp. New York 10 1/2C
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stork mouthpieces are among the best value in the market. Their Studio Master series is excellent for all around playing or more modern pop/commercial playing. They are super knowledgeable and helpful if you contact them directly. There's no one else in the market that is as knowledgeable AND affordable!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: