• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Gard Bag capacity help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nathanamiranda

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Gard Bag capacity help Reply with quote

Hi, I’m moving cross-country in a couple weeks and I need to bring 2 Bb trumpets, a flugel and a shepherd’s crook cornet with me. I have one of those Gard Bag Elite Triple cases, and I’ve heard of and seen people fitting up to 5 horns in them. Anyone manage to fit my loadout in one of these? I’ve don’t it only once before but with some struggle closing the case and I’m a little insecure about the well being of the horns in there... Thanks in advance.
Cornets:
ACB Doublers
Flugel:
Olds Superstar
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of jamming too many horns into one case, which is dangerous. This might sound crass, but I'd put the Strads $ Flugel in the case, then find a couple pillow cases, and a paper bag for the doubler..
or how about bubble wrapping one then in a cardboard box? - like you're going to ship it.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Ancientram

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Gard Triple Reply with quote

I had a Gard Triple and sold it because it didn't meet my needs well.

I recommend what Zaferis said.
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ca definitely do that safely with the Gard Elite, but you need the optional taco inserts instead of the standard dividers. Yes, they're really called taco inserts. You can order them from Josh Landress.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patdublc wrote:
You ca definitely do that safely with the Gard Elite, but you need the optional taco inserts instead of the standard dividers. Yes, they're really called taco inserts. You can order them from Josh Landress.

When I bought the leather version of this case from Josh in June 2017, they did not have these "taco inserts" at the time. I have since used this case with other padding to create ways of expanding use past three horns. It was almost a year ago when I heard that this was a "thing" about the Gard Elite Triple, that it had this reputation among many players of being one where you could put up to five horns. The main reason, I'm guessing, has to do with the amount of material used in manufacturing that allows it to "stretch" past the normal storage of three horns...particularly with the leather model and maybe not so much with nylon version?

Does anyone have this case with the taco inserts that they could share a picture (link to Dropbox if you can't load it into your TH post) showing how you'd get five horns, or as in the OP's situation, two B-flats, Shepherd's crook cornet, and flugelhorn? It might help to know from the OP what flugel, since bell size can make a big difference from one model to the next.

Last edited by dstpt on Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how are you moving (car, uhaul, airplane)? If you are moving by ground, I would just case or box them safely in the car. If you are flying, 5 as a carry on would be best. I would be apprehensive of cramping an overstuffed Gard bag into overhead compartment especially with other passengers jamming stuff up there.
Nathanamiranda

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzvuu wrote:
how are you moving (car, uhaul, airplane)? If you are moving by ground, I would just case or box them safely in the car. If you are flying, 5 as a carry on would be best. I would be apprehensive of cramping an overstuffed Gard bag into overhead compartment especially with other passengers jamming stuff up there.

I’m traveling by air, and I’ve got taco inserts to answer anyone above. Don’t have the flugel on me at the moment to get the bell size but it’s a Bach intermediate horn if that help. Belongs to a buddy of mine traveling with me.
Cornets:
ACB Doublers
Flugel:
Olds Superstar
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One time I crammed a flugel, Bb, C and picc on a Protec Super Triple bag by putting the flugel in the middle of the taco and the Bb and C on either side. Then I wrapped the picc in a towel and set it on top of the other horns and zipped it up. It was snug and I babied that thing knowing that protection was questionable. Snug as it was, I'm not sure it would have fit with a cornet.

FWIW when I bought my case it was only a Protec-made Kanstul-labeled double that I bought from a Kanstul dealer and it came with an incredibly cheap and ineffective Z-type divider that eventually resulted in damage to my flugel. After belly-aching about it here a good natured dealer (Pick Music, if I recall. It's been a while) here sold me the much improved taco divider that turned the case into a super triple.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some pictures somewhere of me packing a Bb, C, flugel, and a long bell picc with 2 bells. But, I think the video Jens did about a year ago is better than my pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u693q3KCovU
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 horns in a triple bag on an airline....

Yeah, nothing could go wrong there....

*facepalm*

(to be clear the real problem is the airline part)
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:

*facepalm*

Actually the real problem is 5 horns in a single case.

Beginning with the increased odds of damaging the horns while cramming them into the case, to the increased odds of damage due to pushing the case’s ability to protect from minor contact, to the fact that a horn case with five horns in it has infinitely more chance of five horns getting damaged than a case with one horn in it, to TSA deciding to unpack and repack while looking for contraband, ...

You get the picture.

If it were me I would box up all but one or two and ship them paying for the insurance. YMMV
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Crazy Finn wrote:

*facepalm*

Actually the real problem is 5 horns in a single case.

Beginning with the increased odds of damaging the horns while cramming them into the case, to the increased odds of damage due to pushing the case’s ability to protect from minor contact, to the fact that a horn case with five horns in it has infinitely more chance of five horns getting damaged than a case with one horn in it, to TSA deciding to unpack and repack while looking for contraband, ...

You get the picture.

If it were me I would box up all but one or two and ship them paying for the insurance. YMMV

Agreed.

You're putting all of your eggs in one overstressed basket.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patdublc wrote:
I've got some pictures somewhere of me packing a Bb, C, flugel, and a long bell picc with 2 bells. But, I think the video Jens did about a year ago is better than my pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u693q3KCovU

Thanks for sharing, Pat! Yeah, I probably wouldn't do this getting on a plane (maybe? ha!), but having a couple of gigs on the same day where I needed this many horns? Yes, definitely. Now, how many of you that have watched the video kept waiting for Jens to sit on the case to get it zippered!? Hahahaha!!!!
Dink

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Gard triple bag capacity Reply with quote

A flugelhorn and two B Flat trumpets will fit with no problem. On the trumpets, you need to place one bell down and the other bell up. However, this was using Altri padded instrument bags. I would wrap the other two in clothing in a suitcase.
Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
LeBlanc Bobby Harriott Model
My. Vernon Bach Mercury Model
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: