• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Small diameter, deep bowl cup

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holton Heim 1 or Heim 2

ACB makes a good replica, but they call it the H2 or H3S

Kanstul also made a replica, theirs is called the G2

If you can't find any of these either a Bach 7 or 3 (no letter) will be good alternatives
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP asked for small, deep, and bowl shaped. The Bach 3 (the cornet mouthpiece I currently play) is neither small nor bowl shaped.

The recommendation of the Bach 8-3/4 is spot on here. The 8-1/2C also fits the bill.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP's suggested ID is right around a 5C or 3C, so that may be part of the challenge on "small and deep." I have played the 10C before and liked and it meets your requirements of small and deep.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loweredsixth wrote:
The OP asked for small, deep, and bowl shaped. The Bach 3 (the cornet mouthpiece I currently play) is neither small nor bowl shaped.

The recommendation of the Bach 8-3/4 is spot on here. The 8-1/2C also fits the bill.

The OP posted a desired diameter in the Bach 2 or 2-1/2 range, which most of us wouldn’t consider “small”, and my recommendation for the Bach 3 was geared to be close to that. The 3 may not be a true bowl, but most mouthpieces aren’t. It certainly isn’t a funnel shape like the 3B.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fredrik wrote:
I played a Bach 7A for quite some time in college with small group jazz and brass quintet. It took a while to get used to but I really liked the sound and it sounded fine in recordings too. Dark sound but not "dull", just a clear dark sound. I've moved on to different pieces now but it might be something for you to check out.

Kind regards
Fred

My go to in high school symphonic band was a Bach 5A, today play a Warburton 6XD, a bit smaller diameter but still a deep cup, paired with a 8* backbore. I had to get away from that godawful Bach inner rim.

Heard an urban legend, that I would like some of you more knowledgeable than me to either confirm or deny.

When Vincent Bach designed that inner rim, it was back in the day when he was tailor fitting rims to a specific customer's preference, and that sharp edge was simply a jump off point for machining, so he had a place to set the jigs that matched up with the mouthpiece.

It was never intended by design, to be the final product.

When he got slammed with mass orders, based on the quality of his custom fitted pieces, he did what Vincent Bach did, and shipped out all of them from the same basic blank he had used, and we gullible few jumped on the 7C like it was the Holy Grail.

His A cup mouthpieces came from the factory with a more rounded rim, as he took the short cut to go ahead and cut it down for a traditional cornet sound, same with the V cup, same with the 12C, which was typically peddled to women and whom as his experience dictated, could not accommodate a sharp inner rim.

We macho males just gutted through, and accepted diminished endurance and the imprint on our lips as the price of doing business.
Since all other motivesfame, money, power, even honorare thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it. Wayne Booth
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the original question, take a look at Parke mouthpieces. Modular (rims, cups,backbores). Cups have bowl-ish shapes. Sizes are logically identifiable.

To the question about sharp inner rims, it would be negligent not to speculate but didn’t mouthpieces from the turn of the last century typically have sharp inner rims? I’m thinking about the antique cornet mouthpieces I’ve seen. Pretty sharp by today’s standards. VB was working from established best practices of the era.
tubamuirum

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Schilke 9C4 Reply with quote

I think the Schilke 9C4 may fit the bill. Nice full sound, but still lights up when needed, thanks to what plays like a bowl shaped cup. Very comfortable rim and bite - for me, anyway. And as another contributor said, it plays larger than it measures...but may be a smaller I.D. than you were looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: