• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best cornet mouthpiece for high notes?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
olds1959special

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Best cornet mouthpiece for high notes? Reply with quote

What’s the best cornet mouthpiece for high notes?
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the cornet mouthpieces for high notes are made for piccolos with a cornet shank. Forget about the high notes, nobody plays a cornet for the high notes. I read your other posts and it's more important that start to learn to play and there is now no reason to worry about high notes.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beginners on the cornet will not benefit by using any specialized mouthpiece and doing so will very likely complicate your progress. Best to get a standard middle of the road piece until you reach a level of competence than you'll be in a position to consider more specialized hardware.

Per a brief research your particular Olds horn (in a previous post) should use a standard cornet shank. You'd do well to start with a stock Yamaha 11C4 (a little deeper) or 11B4 (a little shallower). Neither of these pieces will likely produce the characteristic tone often sought in the British brass band tradition. Pffft... Start here and get your legs about you first then refine from there.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/rGoV0TZAt5s

Some high notes on cornet.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a nice "high note" at the end of this piece.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEmk68U9otQ
Start at 4:29, but I suggest you listen to the whole thing and hear a great player playing the cornet properly. (This is actually written for trumpet, not cornet).
Schwarz was playing a plain old Bach 37 cornet and a 5C mouthpiece.
R. Tomasek
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Beginners on the cornet will not benefit by using any specialized mouthpiece and doing so will very likely complicate your progress. Best to get a standard middle of the road piece until you reach a level of competence than you'll be in a position to consider more specialized hardware.

Per a brief research your particular Olds horn (in a previous post) should use a standard cornet shank. You'd do well to start with a stock Yamaha 11C4 (a little deeper) or 11B4 (a little shallower). Neither of these pieces will likely produce the characteristic tone often sought in the British brass band tradition. Pffft... Start here and get your legs about you first then refine from there.

This.

The best mouthpiece for high notes on a cornet?

Your normal mouthpiece + practice.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giakara wrote:
https://youtu.be/rGoV0TZAt5s

Some high notes on cornet.

Regards

Though they are not really high (some high C's) it's indeed possible to play high notes on a cornet. If my post suggest otherwise sorry. I meant to say that the cornet is mostly played in a different way than a trumpet and that high notes are as a rule not the first priority of a cornet player. But yes, in the old style you find cornet players whose style is a little bit different from what is called 'the true cornet sound'.
trumpet_cop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
Start at 4:29, but I suggest you listen to the whole thing and hear a great player playing the cornet properly. (This is actually written for trumpet, not cornet).
R. Tomasek

Thought this was going to be Slavische Fantasy or Sounds from the Hudson.. where the ending high note is played on- oops.. almost gave away the secret!!
Good Ol' Boy ID#3624360
olds1959special

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Yamaha 6B4 Reply with quote

What about the Yamaha 6B4?
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha 6B4 Reply with quote

olds1959special wrote:
What about the Yamaha 6B4?

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/winds/mouthpieces/trumpets/comparison_chart.html

Yamaha uses the Schilke numbering scheme. Bachmouthpieces use a different scheme.

- The first number roughly corresponds to diameter - with the smaller number being a smaller diameter. A 16 and 17 is quite wide, the 6 fairly narrow, and the 11 somewhat in the middle.

- The capital letter after the number is the cup depth. A is shallow, D, E, and F are deep. D is pretty much the deepest trumpet cup, with E appearing on British-style short shank cornet mouthpieces, and F on flugel and mellophone mouthpieces.

- The next number is the rim shape, from round to flat (1-4). Most Yamaha trumpet mouthpieces have a "4" rim, somewhat flat. Schilke mouthpieces tend to vary more with rim number.

- If there is a lower case letter after the number, it indicates a different backbore. The only one I know of is the "a" on mouthpieces like the 14A4a.

Thus, 6B4:

6 - narrow diameter
B - medium shallow cup
4 - somewhat flat rim
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: best cornet mouthpiece for high notes Reply with quote

My personal opinion is to practice with the mouthpiece you like best with the cornet you play. I have always felt that improving the higher register comes with improving technique and air support.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure the mouthpiece affects range much, but it does affect tone and security. I have an MF Jet-Tone for emergencies!
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play extended dixieland gigs (more than two hours) and I use a Purviance 4*3 or a Reeves 43S for my LB cornet , I dont play extremely high but a shalow cup for me is a life saver.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet_cop wrote:
Vin DiBona wrote:
R. Tomasek

Thought this was going to be Slavische Fantasy or Sounds from the Hudson.. where the ending high note is played on- oops.. almost gave away the secret!!

Hee hee, yeah there is that method!
GeorgeGoodwin

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that using a shorter shank helps. You often see this setup in British Brass Bands. I use a Stork 2A with a short shank and it does the trick.
Jupiter Pic
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giakara links to a video of rod mason effortlessly nailing big fat solid loud locked in high G's...a bunch of them, and somebody poo poos it saying they were high C's.

Big diff between High C and big High G's

gotta love trumpet herald
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
giakara links to a video of rod mason effortlessly nailing big fat solid loud locked in high G's...a bunch of them, and somebody poo poos it saying they were high C's.

Big diff between High C and big High G's

gotta love trumpet herald

Wish there was a like button here, his G's were impressive, but those lip trills were awesome!

Never have been able to do them, and have probably spent more time in the woodshed trying to get trills and growls locked in than anything else, to this day still nothing I'm confident enough to use in performance.

And yes, before anyone says it, do lip bends as part of my daily warm up. Either I'm doing them wrong, or it is just never meant to be.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laskey PIC which I found making all registers quite effortless.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised a while back to learn that the great Warren Vache uses a Wartburton 5S. He told me when I saw him at Smalls in NYC, a performance I’ll never forget!

He used to play one of the larger Warburton 5 cups, but found he could get the sound he wanted on the smaller cup, and saw no reason not to make things easier for himself.

I was using the large GR #6 cup, but found I could use the smaller #3 for the same reasons. I’ve been wanting to get GRs #1 or #2 to see if I could actually get lead trumpet sound on my cornet—a low priority.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
cheiden wrote:

This.

The best mouthpiece for high notes on a cornet?
Your normal mouthpiece + practice.

+1!
Practice, practice and practice. It´s completely wasted time to be able to nail high D:s, Eb:s or even high F:s if you do not possess that very special sound so characteristic of the cornet. This I state as a genuine brass-bander. The mouthpiece to be used, irrespective of brand should, you propelling it, provide a mellow, round silky sound with a notable "core", more towards the flugel than the trumpet.
I have, just before the bl -y corona crisis, just for fun, used my simple Yamaha 2330II with a Schilke 143D3 for lead, easily reaching at least a nice E. But - if I had played like that in the brass band the director undoubtedly would have pierced me with the stick.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: