• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Martin Committee

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amboguzzi

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Martin Committee Reply with quote

I have a Martin Committee flugelhorn that I acquired in the early 70's from a friend. I put it in a closet and there it has sat for more than four decades. I recently pulled it out and dusted it off. It looks new, so I don't think it is much older than a late 60's horn. The serial number is X 716089. I've read that the earlier Martin Committee's were nice horns and the later ones were not. This one sounds a lot like a trumpet to me, but in fairness I am playing it with a trumpet style mouthpiece made for flugelhorn, so that could be part of the issue. In my search for information on Martin Flugelhorns, I've found favorable information on the older horns and practically nothing on later Martin flugelhorns, which indicates to me that perhaps this particular model did not last long.
Can anyone provide any information on this model? Thanks.
darksmoke

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is specifically a Martin Committee flugelhorn? Not a Handcraft, Deluxe, or Imperial? I have heard that the Martin flugels have slightly different and odd MP shank sizes compared to others. They were not very popular and most professionals at the time stayed away from them and stuck with their trumpet line instead. That said, they are semi-rare nowadays and can be more costly than many others just due to the name on it. The production of their flugels may have started sometime in the 50s.
-Callet SC6
Zman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin actually started making Flugels in the 1920's.
The Committee models came much later - I take it that there is Committee somewhere on the horn?
I suspect it's from the RMC era going off the serial. (I wouldn't mind seeing a few pics if you want to PM me)

Miles recorded a few major albums with this style of horn - but they are not known for their tuning/play ability very much.
A good example would no doubt be of interest to a collector.
HC Committee #2
HC Imperial #3 LB & #4 XL Bore
Deluxe Committee Bb, C & Eb
Taylor Chicago II Lite
Yamaha 8335LA

www.thebrasscellar.com
www.facebook.com/thebrasscellar
www.youtube.com/channel/UCZk1sIuyVsQzrbsl7HfIfKw/
amboguzzi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darksmoke wrote:
It is specifically a Martin Committee flugelhorn? Not a Handcraft, Deluxe, or Imperial? I have heard that the Martin flugels have slightly different and odd MP shank sizes compared to others. They were not very popular and most professionals at the time stayed away from them and stuck with their trumpet line instead. That said, they are semi-rare nowadays and can be more costly than many others just due to the name on it. The production of their flugels may have started sometime in the 50s.

Yes!It says "The Martin Committee, Elkhart Indiana, USA" on the bell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: