• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Isolation Project - Pelican Air Double Case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Offbeats

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject: Isolation Project - Pelican Air Double Case Reply with quote

Hi gang,

One of the silver linings to the current isolation is getting to catch up on projects that have been sitting on the back burner. Last year I purchased a Pelican case to protect my horns during an international flight for auditions. However, being impatient and a ‘measure once, cut once, I’m sure it’ll be ok’ kinda of guy, I stuffed up the pick and pluck foam. Today, under the watchful eye of my father-in-law, who is a phenomenal draftsman, I completely the project properly.

I used a Pelican Air 1535 case, which is the largest case they make that still fits overhead on most flights. The Air is A LOT lighter than the standard Pelican cases. I originally got a Bb, C and long bell Eb into the case, with some foam dividers from another case, however I think it probably works better as a double. I still have the cutout templates I made if anybody ever needs them for a Yamaha Chicago Bb and C.

Picc: YTR6810S
Cornet: YCR8335S
Flugel: YFH631G
Mouthpieces: Undecided
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work!...especially with the cutaway areas for the bottom valve caps, bells, and 2nd slides! I've considered taking on such a project with a Pelican for some time. Did you consider leaving foam "squares" to provide "stops" for the 1st and 3rd slides? I know that would have been considerable extra work...or maybe you thought they would have easily gotten mushed over time. Just curious.
wayben

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job!! That looks great. I've tried using foam cases for other things, not trumpets, and mine always come out looking pretty well butchered, even with the pick and pluck foam.
Conn 40B Trumpet
Yamaha YTR-6310z Trumpet
Bach LR18037 Trumpet
Bach 184 Cornet
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the case looks great

what did the whole project end up.costing?
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Offbeats

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your comments so far!

Quote:
homebilly
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:15 am Post subject:
the case looks great

what did the whole project end up.costing?

Homebilly the Pelican 1535 Air with the ‘official’ pick-and-pluck foam cost me AU$375 on special, which is about US$240. However I butchered the original foam and had to buy more. You can buy official Pelican replacement foam for about US$70, however an audio-visual store near my house sold a block of pick-and-pluck with very similar dimensions for US$20. If you look in the photos, you can see I have had to add a small sheet of black foam at one end to compensate. I will say, the ‘aftermarket’ foam had larger ‘pre-cut’ squares than the official Pelican foam, which lessened my ability to get the shape more accurate - but we live and learn.

Quote:
dstpt
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:24 pm Post subject:
Very nice work!...especially with the cutaway areas for the bottom valve caps, bells, and 2nd slides! I've considered taking on such a project with a Pelican for some time. Did you consider leaving foam "squares" to provide "stops" for the 1st and 3rd slides?

To be honest I didn’t consider that, even though I use foam blocks in my quad case to stop this from happening. I suppose I could glue some of the offcuts in place to do this, although I do have some of those Yamaha silicone rubber slide things which would also work to hold the slides in place. You’ve given me something to think about!

This project was basically to have a case that I trusted if I only needed two trumpets on a trip and there was a chance they might get put under the plane (such as on a puddle-jumper). After many years of faithful service I have just replaced my Bonna quad case with a smaller quad that I’m hoping with fit nicely onboard when I move overseas.
Picc: YTR6810S
Cornet: YCR8335S
Flugel: YFH631G
Mouthpieces: Undecided
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: