• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

UPDATE: Crackling in Ear Post

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjtrumpet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: UPDATE: Crackling in Ear Post Reply with quote

Well, I went to the ENT and the problem was actually a massive build up of ear wax, which he said was a little odd for a 23 year old. Apparently my ears weren't cleaning themselves out (the wax wasn't drying and falling out as it does with a normal person). After about an hour of cleaning, I was sent on my way.

A little disgusting, but hopefully will fix the problem. I haven't noticed any crackling sounds since.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: UPDATE: Crackling in Ear Post Reply with quote

jjtrumpet wrote:
Well, I went to the ENT and the problem was actually a massive build up of ear wax, which he said was a little odd for a 23 year old. Apparently my ears weren't cleaning themselves out (the wax wasn't drying and falling out as it does with a normal person).

In my experience this does not happen.

Regular flushing with warm water and a bulb syringe will help. There are drops called Debrox which will soften the earwax before flushing, or you can use a few drops of warm olive oil.

Kent
ShrubTrumpet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: UPDATE: Crackling in Ear Post Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
jjtrumpet wrote:
Well, I went to the ENT and the problem was actually a massive build up of ear wax, which he said was a little odd for a 23 year old. Apparently my ears weren't cleaning themselves out (the wax wasn't drying and falling out as it does with a normal person).

Regular flushing with warm water and a bulb syringe will help. There are drops called Debrox which will soften the earwax before flushing, or you can use a few drops of warm olive oil.

Kent

I have this problem and I am around the same age. +1 for the above solution. Do this monthly and you won't have to visit an ENT.
michael_bxl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case it can help somebody :

I also have this crackling sound in my left ear.

I also thought it was a build up but I went to the doctor and it was perfectly clean !

He said it can be from tiredness. I told him about the trumpet, it may come from pressure building in the middle ear when blowing. There is nothing to do (apart giving up the trumpet if it is the cause) and can be problematic if it get worse.
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a large buildup at age 19-20. Removed by doctor.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Connstellation 7B-N mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org

The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: UPDATE: Crackling in Ear Post Reply with quote

ShrubTrumpet wrote:
oxleyk wrote:
jjtrumpet wrote:

Kent

I have this problem and I am around the same age. +1 for the above solution. Do this monthly and you won't have to visit an ENT.

Or talk to your ent and discuss home remedies and whether or not they recommend them.

Why anyone would try to avoid discussing health issues with a health professional is hard to understand.

Perhaps this is why offering medical advice on TH is prohibited?

Medical Discussions
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking to an ENT, wax build up in your ears is variable, doesn’t follow rules and can change over time. The level of noise you exist in can appear to effect the amount of wax production, as does the level of cleaning of your ears.

GP advice, bin all products and gadgets apart from warm olive oil on a cotton ball (NOT A COOTON BUD) and. Rubber bulb syringe. Use the syringe only twice if you feel the need - gently.

Anything else smaller than your elbow stays out of your ears!

The crackling in one ear... I had this for many years, and it was traced back to sitting next to timpani And other loud noise environments. (Thanks Dave!) Ending up teaching, I much quieter environment and this subsided over a number of years. But if I am in a very loud space for a period of time, it does come back.

Treat your ears with care!

Cheers

Andy
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: UPDATE: Crackling in Ear Post Reply with quote

jjtrumpet wrote:
Well, I went to the ENT and the problem was actually a massive build up of ear wax, which he said was a little odd for a 23 year old. Apparently my ears weren't cleaning themselves out (the wax wasn't drying and falling out as it does with a normal person). After about an hour of cleaning, I was sent on my way.

A little disgusting, but hopefully will fix the problem. I haven't noticed any crackling sounds since.

Same here. Late 1963 I was 4 and my hearing had slowly disappeared without me noticing. Finally my parents took me to the doctor. The doctor removed the wax and also had my tonsils removed, a common cure-all back in those days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: