• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dolnet Paris PICS - but which one?!?!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ridders

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Dolnet Paris PICS - but which one?!?! Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Dolnet Paris Trumpet https://imgur.com/gallery/b4eBjlX

I am new so please bear with me. I am looking to restore what may well be the worst trumpet ever or a rare little gem, who knows, but it cost me 78.00 and I love its sound!
It's a Dolnet Paris as you can hopefully see by the pictures I will attempt to upload but I have no idea which model.
I am aware that it is none of the following, Dolnet mastertone, Dolnet Universal and also the Dolnet emperor virtuoso and it is quiet abundantly clear it is none of those.

I have read many articles and believe that this trumpet was made by a small trumpet maker in France on behalf of Dolnet and thus stenciled for sale as a Dolnet which would explain no serial number listings as a small firm may have gone out of business and all records lost. I believe Dolnet themselves stopped producing Saxophones which was their main business in the 1980s.

Sound plausible so far? I am working with little to no information on the internet or in books.

It has been stated that the valves in the Dolnet trumpets look and play remarkably like early 1960s (possibly late 1950s) kühnl & Hoyer valve and piston sets although I have no idea if this is true or if they made valves then! Would they know or have any records of any kühnl & Hoyer part having been supplied at any time to a company who were building and stenciling on behalf or Dolnet or even at a push to Dolnet themselves? There is a number on the 1st valve I can read which is 265 and shown in the attached images.

I ask for any help or info because I wish to restore this lovely trumpet and I would like to use as close as possible the original make parts should replacements be needed. I think 3rd valve will need replacing along with all washers and springs etc. The trumpet blows well if not lacking full tone as it needs some repairs and has a very Jazz sound and feel, it is also amazingly well balanced in the hand. The case is the original and it came with an Ambassador mouthpiece which has no sizing on it.

I have attached some pictures if it helps.

If any of you can advise on parts or help in any way I would be so grateful. This could be one of the worse trumpets ever made and heard but it is part of musical history and you dont seem to be able to find them these days so let's put her back together.

Many thanks.

Last edited by Ridders on Mon May 25, 2020 10:41 am; edited 3 times in total
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dolnet Paris - but which one?!?! Reply with quote

Ridders wrote:
I have attached some pictures if it helps. NO PICS. I cant figure out how to attach, newbie moment! Help....?

You have to host them on a public site - like Imgur or Flickr - and then link to them in your post.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Ridders

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Dolnet Paris - but which one?!?! Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Ridders wrote:
I have attached some pictures if it helps. NO PICS. I cant figure out how to attach, newbie moment! Help....?

You have to host them on a public site - like Imgur or Flickr - and then link to them in your post.

Many thanks! Will do that now. Apologies late reply I have been rather busy..thankfully!
Ridders

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this work?

Dolnet Paris Trumpet https://imgur.com/gallery/b4eBjlX
Ridders

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry should this be in a different section on the forum to reach the right audience?
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Is not this horn in Bb/A? The tuning slide system looks quite long with 3 braces..I doubt a Dolnet could be a “gem“ because the French big ones are branded Selmer, Besson, Courtois, Couesnon but who knows before playing it?
That said, if it is a Bb/A horn, it is of some interest.
Yes it should be in the Horn section.
blownchops

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a well made horn, but it still looks like a stencil horn.
That pictured valve looks pretty rough, and I am sure the horn is leaky as can be.
I am sure refurbishing it would be a fun project, but dont expect to come out on the other side with something super valuable or particularly well playing.

Non sequitur, I see you have Rutland listed as your location. Is that Rutland,Vermont? If so, beautiful place to live.
Ridders

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blownchops wrote:
That looks like a well made horn, but it still looks like a stencil horn.
That pictured valve looks pretty rough, and I am sure the horn is leaky as can be.
I am sure refurbishing it would be a fun project, but dont expect to come out on the other side with something super valuable or particularly well playing.

Non sequitur, I see you have Rutland listed as your location. Is that Rutland,Vermont? If so, beautiful place to live.

It certainly feels well made and although the valves are rough it's not a leaky little devil as one would expect! It will be great fun to refurbish it and I am under no illusion that it will be valuable or great to play, (although in its current state it is actually still a very good horn!) However I think it right and proper to do her justice. I have just purchased another project so will upload some pics on that too soon!

Rutland United Kingdom. Just as beautiful
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: