• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Arban and Clarke practice plan 1 our 4 times a week

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jairo_saade

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Arban and Clarke practice plan 1 our 4 times a week Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am in need of suggestion of a practice plan for 1 hour 3-4 times a week sessions. The idea is to keep things as simple as possible, focusing only on Arban and Clarke with a metronome.

The goals are: polish attacks and tonguing, master the scales/keys that are more complex when it comes to fingering and that are basic to learning Jazz standards and improvisation.

It would be awesome if you could post detailed plan if you had in Word or PDF (exercise number, suggested tempo, order of exercises, etc).

Thanks in advance.
Joe.
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick Google search found the following, there's probably more out there, but this should get you started;

http://abel.hive.no/trompet/pops/practice_Arban.html

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1341612

https://bolvinmusic.com/product/arban-manual/ (Scroll down to the bottom of the page, "The Arban Manual Downloads")
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arban is easy. You have at least two choices for well thought-out practice sessions: Eric Bolvin's Arban Manual, and Gerard Prescott's Arban Technic System. Both books tell you what to practice in Arban. Bolvin also gets into how to practice it. In my mind that makes Bolvin’s book more useful for someone studying on their own.

In the case of Clarke, here are a few options to consider.

The easiest option is to refer to Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach to Daily Practice and follow the detailed approach to Clarke therein; ideally along with the other exercises written out in the book or referred to (Smith, Colin, Irons, etc.).

Alternatively, you could follow Chris Gekker’s excellent Summer Practice Routine, which appears to be public domain, so I will quote from the Clarke section of his routine:

[Begin quote.]

Do one study a day. This makes a very nice eight-day cycle, where we hit our fundamentals every day within the framework of varying demands.

No. 1 – At least eight times in one breath. Whisper soft. Once you are in the middle register, legato tongue a few of them (four times through when tonguing).

No. 2 – Each one twice, at first. Stop where Clarke stops, don’t continue into the high register (this is meant to be an “easy” day). After you are very comfortable with these drills, go through each one four times: slurred, single tongue, K tongue, and double tongue – and keep the tempo the same throughout.

No. 3 – Each one twice. Work in some tonguing after you learn the patterns. Keep striving to be able to play these softly.

No. 4 – Play using the same approach as No. 3.

No. 5 – On this one we can open up dynamically as we ascend to the highest notes. Keep as much of it as “conversational” as possible. For now, skip the scale exercises 99-116.

No. 6 – Play these just as written, so the tongued arpeggios at the end are in contrast to the slurred material.

No. 7 – Again, work in some tonguing as you get comfortable technically. Stay as soft as possible. For now, skip the arpeggio exercises 151-169.
No. 8 – Play using the same approach as No. 7.

On your first few cycles, omit the etudes at the end of each study. After the studies are fairly well learned, start to learn them. I usually tongue the etude after going through the studies where I use a mixture of slurring and legato tonguing. Clarke recommends a fair amount of multiple tonguing practice – I prefer to stick to legato single tonguing, except for the drill on the Second Study.

[End quote.]

Good luck!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolvin: https://bolvinmusic.com/product/arban-manual/

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: