• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Problems with playing high

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommy_the_trumpet

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Problems with playing high Reply with quote

So Lately I've had a couple problems with my ability to play high. I've had all the way up to a double high C and the past week my range declined back to an E above high C. I've asked others and they said I have too much tension in my throat. Does anyone know any exercises that could help relieve tension? Or does anyone know any good ways to get the range I had before back?
Thanks
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you feel that the 'tension in your throat' prevents adequate air flow, or inhibits your ability to produce adequate internal air pressure. If NOT that, then what do you suspect is happening?

Do you use tongue position to assist high range? Perhaps try different tongue positions (done with varying amounts of 'tongue muscle' force), to see it that affects your throat tension, and how it affects your basic embouchure for high notes.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with playing high Reply with quote

tommy_the_trumpet wrote:
So Lately I've had a couple problems with my ability to play high. I've had all the way up to a double high C and the past week my range declined back to an E above high C. I've asked others and they said I have too much tension in my throat. Does anyone know any exercises that could help relieve tension? Or does anyone know any good ways to get the range I had before back?
Thanks

Hello my friend.
My guess is that you're barking up the wrong tree here. I don't mean to put anyone down and fully respect everyone here. Even inc some of those who don't like me. However one of the most common, kneejerk reactions trumpet players like to offer when asked about range problems is to say,

"Reduce the tension in your throat".

Me I like to analyze what actually happens within the mouth while playing trumpet. Esp when playing high notes. Some 14 years ago I discovered that just our cheek muscles are capable of building up more pressure aka "psi" within the body then are the abdominal muscles. Betcha didn't know that huh?

Yes while working on a pressurized home plumbing system all connected to a low pressure air gauge typically used to check for leaks in plumbing. About the highest PSI that my lungs could develop within the system was a little under 7.5 PSI. However after closing the valve to store the pressure within these pipes I then used my inflated cheeks to top up a little more PSI. Granted that my cheeks had only a tiny amount of air but they certainly could raise the PSI a little higher than what my lungs and abdominal muscles combined could do. From that moment on I started re- thinking my ideas on high notes.

Later I discovered that through careful.manipulation of cheek and embouchure muscles it was at least technically possible to sustain a double C while circular breathing at the same time.

Also since that time I've been more likely to diagnose overtraining as the cause of most temporary losses of range.

When the chops need more time to recover they tell us by becoming unable to sustain certain high notes well. Stiffness, insecure attacks and cracked notes and even, clams can all be signs of overtraining.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
ProgramCrazy

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Do you feel that the 'tension in your throat' prevents adequate air flow, or inhibits your ability to produce adequate internal air pressure. If NOT that, then what do you suspect is happening?

Do you use tongue position to assist high range? Perhaps try different tongue positions (done with varying amounts of 'tongue muscle' force), to see it that affects your throat tension, and how it affects your basic embouchure for high notes.

Jay

I feel horrible tension in my throat and neck when I play! Is there a way that I can relieve this?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Some 14 years ago I discovered that just our cheek muscles are capable of building up more pressure aka "psi" within the body then are the abdominal muscles."

Did you tell that to Dizzy?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
i can't understand how this is possible, to be able to play DHC (which not everybody can), and fall to E above HC, except if you suddenly have problem such as allergy or pathology that affect your muscular or neuromuscular work.

From the technic side, it'd mean that you didn't really yet mastered your embouchure, or didn't have a real control on coordination.
And since the factors could be numerous, it's hard to say here with the very few details you gave
best
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with playing high Reply with quote

tommy_the_trumpet wrote:
Thanks

I really doubt that the cause of your loss of range is related to anything associated with q "closed throat". Trumpet players like to dispense advice. Doubt this? Then just look at the size of this forum and how many hits you've gotten just so far.

The concept of an "open vs a closed throat" has been drummed into our minds since the first time we ever blew a note. In fact to actually close one's throat off required a fairly harsh, conscious effort. Something not far removed from gargling. You would always hear such a nasty condition and strive to AVOID IT. . thus I tend to discount such advice as well as the remedies associated with it. This can and does upset people at times. Sorry! Just callin 'em the way I see "em. As such I'd like to dismiss this concern for now and go on to a more likely area/remedy. These are,

A. Overtrained chops. You've just been practicing too much for your own good. And,

B. Lips placed too far apart or too close together. Lastly,

C. Closing off the JAW (not the throat!) By bringing your teeth together. As you would do while biting an apple.

All of the above are classic Roy Stevens concepts which can actually apply to any embouchure type.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProgramCrazy wrote:

I feel horrible tension in my throat and neck when I play! Is there a way that I can relieve this?

--------------------
The tension is coming from some muscles - you need to identify what specific muscles.
1) Jaw?
2) Tongue?
3) Upper chest?

When you can feel and identify what muscles are causing the tension, then you can think about WHY and HOW you are using those muscles.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could this be traced to differences in changes in how far forward or back you lean you head? This can cause some restriction in breath and more in blood flow and extremes either way aren’t good for health or play.
Rod
AndyDavids
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with playing high Reply with quote

tommy_the_trumpet wrote:
I've had all the way up to a double high C and the past week my range declined back to an E above high C
Only if you took a week off not playing at all, IMO...
Upper register, when played properly and consistently, doesn't just go away!
I suggest ascending softly and slowly, it should come back quickly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: