• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Webcams and mics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Webcams and mics Reply with quote

I'm looking at webcams/mics to get into the skype-zoom musical scene. Any suggestions?

The Zoom Q2N is looking good to me.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have any experience with the Q2n, but I use an H2n (audio only), and if the quality is anything near the same it should be a good and functional device.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Webcams and mics Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:

I use the Zoom Q2HD, which has been discontinued. A couple friends have the Q2N, one has the Q2N-4K.

The Q2N is a nice device. When my Q2HD dies, I'll be getting one. The biggest challenge is the battery life. With my Q2HD, I can get 3+ hours using rechargeable AA batteries. With the Q2N series, you're going to get about half that at best, depending on the resolution you're using. However, they have an optional battery pack, and you can also plug it into AC power.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see people mention Zoom recorders here. I've always found the sound of a trumpet with my Zoom H6N to be really weird from a zoom recorder. I end up with a lot of highs and not much body in the sound, makes the trumpet sound very anaemic. I think the capsules are just too sensitive for trumpets in smaller environments.

In a big hall a zoom is easy and does the job a treat, but I've always found in the practice room, the sound I hear on the play back is not something I'd want to show people. Even with reverb added it just sounds thin.

The only success I've had with my zoom at close proximity has been when the microphone is behind me, facing the opposite direction, so then the sound has had a little time to 'mature'.

Not sure if others have had the same experience?

I love my zoom for other stuff as I can plug a bunch of mics in and have a great portable recording studio. But doing the full setup at home is not exactly and easy plug-and-play option.

I would also have bought a Q2N but that's what put me off to be honest.

For personal recording I use my phone which works pretty well. Alas, I don't think I can use it as a webcam/audio device or I would.
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love using my H4N, but if I could do it over again I’d get the Q2N. It’d be nice to skip the step of syncing my H4N’s audio with what I capture on my iPhone videos.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a cheap unit the old H2 sounds great!

i have used it for years to record my rehearsals

just get a BIG SD card and record as .WAV then downgrade the file to an mp3 later

i don't know the newer Zooms but hopefully they are using similar or better mics
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Webcams and mics Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
Ed Kennedy wrote:

I use the Zoom Q2HD, which has been discontinued. A couple friends have the Q2N, one has the Q2N-4K.

The Q2N is a nice device. When my Q2HD dies, I'll be getting one. The biggest challenge is the battery life. With my Q2HD, I can get 3+ hours using rechargeable AA batteries. With the Q2N series, you're going to get about half that at best, depending on the resolution you're using. However, they have an optional battery pack, and you can also plug it into AC power.

Mike

Can the Q2N be used for streaming-zoom-skype, etc.? And, thanks everybody for their input. Ed K
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooop! sorry. i missed the webcam part

in the words of Emily Litella.....Never Mind
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:

Not sure if others have had the same experience?

Kind of off-topic and kind of not.
I find that with my H2n recording goes better in a larger room in my house, but OK in my practice room. I vary the settings a bit for the two. I never play straight into it. I usually set it at about 35 degrees to my right. Straight on is not as nice.
That raises a question about the Q2n (which I think is only sold as the Q2n 4K now). If you have to position it obliquely in the same manner, you will get angled video. If that works for you, fine, but it may be a limitation.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Webcams and mics Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
Can the Q2N be used for streaming-zoom-skype, etc.? And, thanks everybody for their input. Ed K

I don't know for sure. But my Zoom Q2HD can be connected to a computer for streaming over skype/zoom. So I suspect the Q2N can also do this as well.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: