• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ever have one of those days.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Ever have one of those days..... Reply with quote

......when the chops are perfect? Your extreme upper range is reliable and easy? Well I am just finishing up one. For me this means getting a nice Eb above DHC when playing a transcription, and when messing around with my now second grade improv skills nailing a DHD. All this at the end of my practice session.

I have these days infrequently during practice, rarely in a rehearsal, and never during a gig. From last experience I know not to push on days like this so I am done now.

I wish I knew for certain what I did differently today.......
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ever have one of those days..... Reply with quote

INTJ wrote:
I wish I knew for certain what I did differently today.......

Don't we all.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOOD - works only one day
WOWO - works one week only
OWIPR - only works in the practice room
BIJIR - belongs in the Journal of Irreproducible Results (a true thing!)
area51recording
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure have. Everything works so good it has me putting the horn away, already looking forward to picking it up in the morning. Next day, I can barely figure out what end of the thing to blow into.......by the way, these popup ads are annoying as HELL when you're trying to post something......
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few and far between. In fact, I'm still waiting for the day when "extreme upper range is reliable and easy".

GizB wrote:
BIJIR - belongs in the Journal of Irreproducible Results (a true thing!)

I had and engineering buddy who subscribed to this magazine. Had to be pretty darn geeky to get some of the jokes.

From a article about the magazine...

"It produces an annual "Swimsuit Issue" in which a flabby old researcher exits regally from the surf. Its lead articles over the years have included such non-Vanity Fair material as "Dreidel Rotation: Statistical Evidence That God Is Left-Handed," the timely "How Jello Killed the Dinosaurs," and the domestically helpful "Multivariate Analysis of Spaghetti Sauce Stains."
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much volume of sound, overblowing, kills endurance. Some players play too loud all of the time. From two great players I have read that they try to play at 70-80% of their maximum volume. Some players play way too loud in the lower register. This just spreads your chops out too much and is an endurance killer. I try to use a uniform approach and most times it works unless I am playing with a band that overblows as a group. Playing in the center of each note makes it easier than overblowing. You don’t have to work so hard and the sound carries. And to an audience, it sounds clear and focused.

Pete
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just last night. Unfortunately the alarm clock went off and woke me up!
Some years ago I was studying with a guy who was a Reinhardt student. I was practicing one evening and playing a chromatic exercise. All of the sudden I was effortlessly booming G's and A flat's over High C. Next day I couldn't replicate it!
The instrument always wins!!!
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Beamon who shattered the long jump record in 1968 with a record jump that stood until 1991 never came close to repeating it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: