• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Building endurance

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaelsu123

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:20 am    Post subject: Building endurance Reply with quote

I'm taking my ATCL diploma soon and am really struggling with endurance and stamina, I can play each piece separately but just can't seem to put it together, any advice or exercises that really strengthen those muscles up? Also what is a appropriate time to separate piece movements as I want to get as much rest as possible.
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endurance is really more about maintaining balance and form, in my opinion. If you pay very, very close attention to your first, freshest notes, and equal attention to your body cues as you fatigue, it will tell you what is slipping as you fatigue.

My suggestion is to play through your recital on a 30 second timer, resting every 30 seconds for as long as you need. This will enforce quality control on form, air, staying relaxed, etc.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many factors involved in "endurance", it's not all about strength of chop muscles. And, IMO, are different types of endurance - how long can you keep going without a rest (short term), how long can you go with occassional rests (fitness / quick recovery), how do you recover after a max day (long term), day after day after day (tour chops- overall chop and body fitness).. these all "feel" different to me.

Having a solid routine that daily builds good habits and stretches your skills
Breathting well, which doesn't always mean bigger
Being confident / comfortable witht the music, so you don't overwork or waist energy
Knowing where and when to relax and rest during the music
Overall fitness
A mechanically sound approach
Sleep / Hydration / Diet
Lots and lots of time on the trumpet - shed, shed, shed
Allowing the air to do the work
etc

Train like an athelete. You can't have a max training day every day. If you really stress the muscles today (lots of playing, little rest, muscles feel the burn), then tomorrow should be a lighter day-train but let the muscles recover/repair. Then work your way back to another max day (3 to 5 day cycle)

As you're working preparing your recital / concert, start at the begining stopping as soon as some fatigue sets in (mid-tune) take as much rest as you need to recover (5 seconds, 30 seconds, 60 etc) then pick it up where you stopped. Over the days of practice work at making the rest breaks shorter.
Don't forget things like working the selections backwards (start with the last page, finish then go to the previous page), so the end is as strong as the beginning
Retired Air Force Bandsman
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Sleep / Hydration / Diet

------------------------
This can be very important, especially if lethargy or 'overall physical tiredness' occurs during a session.
For me, timing of a meal before a session is a concern. If I have a large meal shortly before a session, I tend to get fatigued early - perhaps due to the physical energy used by digestion.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've received some good advice already. For me, Caruso's Musical Calisthenics for Brass have helped with endurance more than anything else I've done over the years, followed by flexibility studies (Bai Lin, Belck, Irons). That said, if your exam is "soon" I (unfortunately) don't think there are any exercises that will make a significant improvement in your endurance between now and then. Also, I'd be hesitant to mess with my routine too much right before a major performance....

Given that endurance is an issue, I'd suggest that you spend some time practicing your pieces from the end rather than the beginning. That way you'll be working on the last measures and any rough sections with fresh chops. That could help with the quality of your performance and also might help you feel more confident.

One technique that might help slightly during practice or performance is to take your mouthpiece off of your lips whenever possible. Mini-rests of just a few seconds can help keep your chops feeling good during a challenging performance. That can be tough to do if you take a long time to get your chops set before an entrance, but practice that technique and see if it helps.

Good luck!
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a student preparing for a similar aussie style exam (fortunately delayed for now) who is facing the same.
as well as all the advice already given, I feel it is critical to get into the music and really shed, pay attention and pr@ctice paying attention.

I find that being in the zone with the music rather then having it at autopilot level helps as I’m not thinking about endurance, etc. I AM the music and out it comes that way I am thinking.

This is all very much in the mind games arena, but it certainly helps me.

Cheers

Andy
brassman8994

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mr. Andy Del! Preparation is a key element to endurance. Mental stress during performance burns the chops so much faster. In my experience, when the prep is not there mental stress builds in under-prepared sections leading to less air support, and then putting too much burden on the chops. My 2 cents.....
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andybharms wrote:
Endurance is really more about maintaining balance and form, in my opinion. If you pay very, very close attention to your first, freshest notes, and equal attention to your body cues as you fatigue, it will tell you what is slipping as you fatigue.

My suggestion is to play through your recital on a 30 second timer, resting every 30 seconds for as long as you need. This will enforce quality control on form, air, staying relaxed, etc.
Exactly. It's about observing what happens when you fatigue, and why your playing falls apart. After analyzing the problem, then you fix it by just concentrating on not letting those things happen, and always staying relaxed and fresh as possible. Don't think about exhausting yourself in practice sessions. That doesn't really build endurance, it just leads to practicing with bad habits.
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to build endurance is to play - a lot. That said, all the above advice gives you smart ways to do that. You're not going to build endurance with a half-hour daily practice. You may build endurance with an hour's routine, but it will take time.

Zaferis is right about different types of endurance. I'd add that jazz & classical are different enough that if you don't practice both, you'll struggle with endurance for the one you neglect.

One last thing - I find that if I'm not conscious about good breathing, my endurance suffers dramatically.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my approach to this somewhat maddening instrument is twofold.
practice. patience.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Train like an athelete. You can't have a max training day every day. If you really stress the muscles today . . then tomorrow should be a lighter day-train but let the muscles recover/repair. Then work your way back to another max day (3 to 5 day cycle)

@ Zaferis - this is the same basic approach Spaulding takes. Are you basing your approach on Spaulding or on another source? Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
My approach to this somewhat maddening instrument is twofold:
Practice. Patience.

I agree with every syllable.
Fox56

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed that when i Play everything legato or slurred,for example when i practice flexibility,clark,stamp,chicowicz etc my endurance is a lot better than when i play things tongued.
For example,even when i practice extremely easy etudes like N1 of the first getchell's book I have to rest after each line.(I have been playing for a bit more than 5 weeks after a 9 year stop so ,obviously, i'll need time to get in the original shape).
The fatigue is not in the tongue but in the labial muscles,
does it make sense?Is it because when i play legato i can make the air do the job more efficiently then when i tongue?
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get up early and practice as much as your chops can handle every day. 4,5, 6 hours. what does your teacher say about this? jw
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endurance is a two-sided coin.

Those are: 1. strength 2. efficiency of effort (fine control)

However, excessive strength work, which is being recommended by many on this thread, with cause further loss of strength and further loss of fine control and efficiency of effort.

You MAY need to take time off, and THEN re-build your playing with efficiency of approach FIRST.

Do NOT approach strength first. Get control of efficient and effective tone control FIRST. Only then, should you approach calisthenics for strength, and in measured amounts.

Efficient playing requires less air power, not more, so if anyone tells you "let the air do the work", you should reject that outright.

There is NO amount of air effort that will replace embouchure function.

Contact me for more specific help.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
Efficient playing requires less air power, not more, so if anyone tells you "let the air do the work", you should reject that outright.

There is NO amount of air effort that will replace embouchure function.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Notice that there is NO suggestion that air is unimportant, only that it is not the primary factor.

My view is that for people who have a good natural embouchure (or have developed one), their attention might be on air, but only because their embouchure is already highly functional and doesn't need conscious attention.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think endurance is poorly understood. Endurance doing what? Anybody can play a C all day. Playing loud? Playing soft? Long tones? Which register? It matters because everybody experiences “endurance” a little differently. So we have to define what we mean.

Big picture though, I think endurance is mostly a question of ability to do the things and only the things that make the trumpet go. Fatigue usually happens when extraneous effort creeps in and form breaks down. Moooost of the time the problems are over-gripping the embouchure across registers, lack of tongue control, and overgripping the air inside the body, not having a kinesthetic breathing plan. I have had to get real about all those things in my playing. When I do those things successfully, the results are great.

I personally am of the opinion that the role of tension is one of the most misunderstood things in all of trumpeting.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the others posters - just wanting to add something that turned out to be a real game changer - to me; before stating that, as others here have pointed out, you should evaluate your way of playing; do you use too much pressure, lack of air, play a horn/mpc with a resistance too big for you - and so on....
When I began playing (again) in a big band my endurance was crappy - one set and I was "cooked" - this in spite of practicing a lot out of the stuff I 1)was advised by my teacher with regards to basic "embouchure treatment". In younger(30-45) days I "endured" gigs 4x45 (lead) quite well while practicing say 30 minutes a day..
2)stuff that had helped me back in the days (like Colins flexibilities etc etc). Decent playing 45 minutes then .....
So I found the BE (......oh here he goes again.... ) - the Roll Ins and the Roll Outs - in particular. I do believe that the Roll Ins do a formidable job focussing your aperture while at the same time providing a phenomenal "isometric" input. You have to endure ( ) the effort they initially present but after some time they become more easy. Should be practiced progressively (absolutely important). Never ever over using!!!
This has really worked for me - I was 73 when I began 5 years ago - today I can play a 3x45 gig (lead in a not that high level band although good enough for concerts) staying fresh.
Of course there are other ways - Colins flex, wisely executed, progressively played - are just fine! At least to me!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Fox56

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions,I have to say thay i played for like 3,5 years so i was far from being an advanced player and I have just started now only 5 weeks ago so maybe I'm expecting too much and since i started during the summer i couldn't find a teacher but i will soon and ask him
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox56 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions,I have to say thay i played for like 3,5 years so i was far from being an advanced player and I have just started now only 5 weeks ago so maybe I'm expecting too much and since i started during the summer i couldn't find a teacher but i will soon and ask him

Seems to be the right thing to do! Considering the limited time you have been playing don´t fall into the trap demanding to much too soon. You are embarking a long journey, see to it that you make adequate stops re evaluating what you´ve accomplished so far - try to obtain that delicate balance between hard work and enjoyment! Not at all easy in my experience! A "meta" endurance - how to keep the joy while at the same time laboriously practicing what not - you name it - throughout life! Day in day out!
By the way the bl--y Covid 19 does highlite this - practicing day in day out not knowing when you can play in a band again! To be a nerd or not to be a nerd!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: