• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Systematic Approach Noticeable Improvements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pallady

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Systematic Approach Noticeable Improvements Reply with quote

It's been about a month since I started the Systematic Approach and a lot has changed in the way I play as well as my general ability.

First thing I noticed was that my tongue was moving around my mouth when I was playing, as opposed to have the tongue rest more naturally against the lower back teeth. Though I still struggle with that as my lower lip tends to curl over my lower teeth.

Next thing I noticed was breathing, breathing from the lungs has combined with the part 1 exercises has given me a noticeable boost in endurance. When I started, the longest I could hold a part 2 exercises was around 35-40 seconds. Now that I am in Lesson 3, I can easily hold a solid C for a minute, though I do notice as I go down, that time seems to go up and down.

Which reminds me of pedal tones, in which I was recently able to sound the second pedal C cleanly, though i would say the second pedal D is the most lowest consistent pedal tone I can play.

When it comes to the part 2 exercises, I haven't really progressed in terms of range, but my consistency has definitely improved. I was able to play a D above high C clean and consistently for a week straight now, despite playing a mellophone through marching band. (Only 6 of us, so we really have to blow).

Soon I will progress to Lesson 4, but hopefully before I get there I will be able to play the Eb above the D cleanly. High notes above a D seem odd to me, but I'm sure with practice it will get better.

Hopefully as time goes on I will be able to post another positive update from this book!

Maybe after a bit of rest. (Today was a CHOP-BUSTER)
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you’re missing something very important. Never hold the Part 2 notes beyond a three count hold. The long held notes are only in part 1. Another rule to follow is to never let yourself get beyond half empty when attempting high notes.

Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
Pallady

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff_Purtle wrote:
I think you’re missing something very important. Never hold the Part 2 notes beyond a three count hold. The long held notes are only in part 1. Another rule to follow is to never let yourself get beyond half empty when attempting high notes.

Jeff

Ah, I didn't specify that. I normally don't hold the highest note as long as I can, I normally bring it to a crescendo before I stop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: