• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Benefits of K tonguing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetcadet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Benefits of K tonguing Reply with quote

Hi all! I have been always fascinated by the CG philosophy and in these days I have been giving SA and DTR a serious shot to see what best works for me.

I have noticed that a particular emphasis is given to the practice of K tonguing in all registers. Besides the obvious beneficial outcome regarding multiple tonguing, does practicing K tonguing aid also other aspects of playing?
Dkjcliff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in hearing about this from the CG folks as well. I've been informally testing out KTM, or at least I think that is what I'm doing. I try to keep the tip of my tongue touching my bottom teeth or the gum just below the teeth. I find that in the mid and low register it seems to give me a more focused sound. I'm also realizing that it's something I've been naturally doing in in some form in the upper register for awhile. However I have trouble keeping my tongue in position as I ascend past high C. If I don't pull my tongue back the air seems to cut off and it feels like I can't get my embouchure in the position that typically works for me. Is this a natural progression using KTM, i.e., it is challenging to get the hang of in the higher register?
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a video on KTM where I also discuss KT. Yes, when I studied with CG, he had us doing a lot of KT as well.
https://bolvinmusic.com/k-tongue-modified/

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: