• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best (used) Cornet under $500

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the market for a cornet in the $500 and under price bracket. I currently double on trumpet and flugel, and there are times when I need something that fits in between the two -- which in my experience would be a good cornet.

I don't have a lot to spend on this, so I can't by a horn at the level I'd prefer (if money were no object) -- I'm stretching the budget hard at $500. What I DON'T want to do is buy a cheap horn and pay for it again every time I pick it up, so I've already written off the cheezy offshore junk that comes from the musical cesspools, so no warning is necessary there.

I know that there's a camp that will immediately recommend an Olds Ambassador, and I'm not at all closed to that option. Still, I've seen a lot of cornets in the under $500 bracket, and I'm curious what others are also great choices. I know for sure that all student hoirns are not created equal -- not even all student horns under a particular name are created equal. After all, those beloved Ambassadors are student horns.

So, anyway, in your experience and opinion, :

1) What's the very best cornet I can buy for $500 or less?

2) What (other than the offshore junk, see above) do I want to avoid like monkey plague?

3) Do I want a shepherds crook? Why or why not? What's good under $500? Comments on the Yamaha YCR2330II vs Bach CR310 appreciated.

Thanks!

D.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the Olds (which people will start recommending soon, trust me!), I would keep an eye out for the pro models appearing on Ebay (and similar sites). You do, sometimes, see decent instruments going for very little - thinking of instruments like Besson (Sovereign) or the Maestro (Yamaha) and the like.

If you spend a few minutes searching through this forum and you will soon come across people's various opinions on the different makes.

Of the cheaper options that might be available to you, I would definitely recommend that you try the B&S (quite new on the market, very impressive cornet) or the Weril (very underestimated, in my opinion). Both of these may be available new within your price range, I'm afraid I have no idea on the US prices for these - again, I'm sure someone will be able to fill in the information.

As with all instrument recommendations, I would definitely see if you can try before you buy. You may find that one make works better for you than others.

What are you intending to use the instrument for?
This will have quite an impact on whether I would recommend a shepherd's crook or not. If you are intending doing any sort of brass banding, they are the way to go - trust me, I'm from the UK!
DC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On 2003-12-25 18:19, trumpetmike wrote:

What are you intending to use the instrument for?
This will have quite an impact on whether I would recommend a shepherd's crook or not. If you are intending doing any sort of brass banding, they are the way to go - trust me, I'm from the UK!

I primarilly play in a Worship band at church. Piano, Bass, Drums, variety of woodwinds and brass. On Christmas Eve this year, we put together a little brass quartet -- bass and tenor t-bones and 2 flugels. We were after that "Salvation Army" brass sound. I played lead/melody on one of the flugels. Trumpet would have been too bright. A good 'ol salvationist cornet would have been perfect.

D.
jhaysom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long Model: Several King Master models have sold on ebay for US$300 or less. You might even be able to get a Silvertone version (Sterling silver bell) for US$500 or not much more.

Shepherd's Crook: Yamaha 2330's sell for around US$300.

I've got one of each of these and they're very good.
Yamaha 8310ZS trumpet
Yamaha 6310ZS trumpet
Courtois flugel
1941 King Silvertone cornet
1941 King 2B valve trombone
Kanstul 920 piccolo
etc.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This horn is extremely good:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2367495480&category=41396&rd=1

I hate to have to sell it, but I need to liquidate a couple more horns.

Rich
boofredlay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha student model cornet is a great buy. You can get them new at WWBW for around $800 so finding a used one for under $500 should be no problem. I got mine for $350 from my local repair guru. And it plays great.
https://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay
Ash
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this steal of a deal: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2367703025&category=16214

It's not too shabby, as far as they go. It's not a super-cornet, but it'll do the job. It's a nice model for a beginner/intermediate. The auctions still got a ways to go, but from the looks of it, it won't be a budget stretch.
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olds Recording Cornet

Yamaha 2330

[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2004-04-19 14:08 ]
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMOHO, the best is a Conn 38-A Short Model. While these don't show up very often, when they do, they go fast, and there is a reason for that.
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned probably 20 cornets in the last three years and the only one I've kept during that whole period is a 1915 conn 80A it's got a great very flexible sound. Usually you can pick them up for around 200 and they are definately pro models
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check it out!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2368545306&category=41396

Matthew 25:31-46
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried out a Getzen before I bought a Kanstul and was impressed. I am extremely happy with my Kanstul though. I thought it somewhat darker than the Getzen I am sure you can find one in the price range you want. Best of luck!
Dano
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently intended to purchase a good used Cornet. Just happened to try a new Getzen 481 with the shepperds crook. This horn also has the rose brass bell giving it a nice warm look and sound. I get the oppertunity to play in a couple concert bands through out the year, and play both Cornet and Trumpet parts. The little Getzen was quite a surprise for the money! If your making a living putting food on the table with your horns, you better look to the big $ pro grade horns. If your looking for a nice little horn that won't frustrate you and is a good value, try the 481.
During a recent Christmas concert, I had the pleasure of playing 3rd Cornet on Leroy Anderson's "Sleigh Ride".
This took me way down under the staff! I was amazed at how full and open this little horn sounded! It defineitly fits right between my regular Bb horn and my 4 valve fluegel! Test one before you buy used!!
Getzens top line Cornet is the 3850, I'll have to have one some day!!
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch for a KING Master Model cornet or a Getzen Eterna 800 or Getzen Capri.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just missed a nice Olds Super Cornet:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2367465472&category=41396

But here is a nice Olds Opera:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2368409616&category=41396

00 Schilke S22
78 Yamaha 732 Cornet
77 LA Benge
54 LA Olds Recording & 49 Ambassador Cornet

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"

[ This Message was edited by: ARB on 2003-12-26 22:29 ]
DC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-12-26 21:30, Dano wrote:

I recently intended to purchase a good used Cornet. Just happened to try a new Getzen 481 with the shepperds crook. This horn also has the rose brass bell giving it a nice warm look and sound. I get the oppertunity to play in a couple concert bands through out the year, and play both Cornet and Trumpet parts. The little Getzen was quite a surprise for the money! If your making a living putting food on the table with your horns, you better look to the big $

Dano, I've tried to find some pricing information non the 481, and can't find anyone that actually carries it. Am I correct that it's in between the 381 and the Capri? What kind of selling price on the 481?

D.
tvknight415
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-12-27 12:20, DC wrote:

Dano, I've tried to find some pricing information non the 481, and can't find anyone that actually carries it. Am I correct that it's in between the 381 and the Capri? What kind of selling price on the 481?

D.

Try contacting Dillon Music. I was looking into possibly purchasing one a few months ago, and they were able to get me a price quote. Seems to me that I remember them quoting me around $485, but my memory could be wrong here. I ended up getting an Olds Special instead off E-Bay for $120. I hear that if you want the darkest sound in an Olds, try an Olds Ambassador, which will probably be around $100. I haven't owned an Ambassador though, so I have no point of comparison.

Peace,
Eric
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye out for a King Master. They play great and they're undervalued. I bought one on eBay in near mint condition for $170. I use a Curry Deep Cornet mouthpiece with it and it has a nice, dark sound. It's very well made with super fast valves.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
DC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did it. For better or worse, I bought a Cornet -- a Getzen Eterna:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2368707236&category=41396&rd=1

I went a little over my $500 budget -- $527.77 -- but I've seen them sell for more. The Eterna has been on my short list of cornets I'd like to have, even before I started this thread. Time will tell if I've bought wisely.

The only problem I have is that it comes with a gig bag instead of a hard case. I've never liked gig bags -- I just don't think they provide very good protection. Anyone have a suggestion on a good (but reasonably priced) case? I can get the original Getzen case for $150 from WWBW, but I'd rather spend less if I can still get something good at a lower price.

Comments?

D.
Conn Vintage One Flugelhorn -- GR66FD
Yamaha YCR-6335HS Cornet -- Sparx 3
---
"He heals the brokenhearted, and bandages their wounds" -- Psalm 147:3
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your purchase, you should have a great time with the Getzen. I played one for a year or so (as a student) and found it to be a very respectable cornet.

As for the case, I have a feeling that the gig bag option might be the best option for you, or the original style case. The problem with the Getzen (as far as cases go) is the shape. The tendency is for cases to be built for the Besson, Yamaha shape cornets, the Getzen (assuming I remember it correctly) has a different shape tuning slide (lower than the other makes) and won't fit into the cases.
Memory also serves that ProTec makes a cornet case (maybe a bag, can't remember, a few years since I saw one) that would work.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: