• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trouble playing High and wondering if its even possible

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
delano wrote:
Broken in accident, two new ones, no idea of same length or not (nobody knows).

You don't have photos of yourself before the accident?

Quote:

You had your teeth altered because you saw that some good players had even teeth in the front without knowing that they are good players for that reason.

It's not only the evenness I was paying attention to, I noticed their teeth tended to be short and that they had obvious overhang of their upper lip over the upper teeth

It's a fact is that everything I theorized would improve did improve after I had those few mm's taken off. I dismiss any notion of it being psychosomatic - the reason I did it is frustration over issues that seemed brick-wall stubborn that just weren't improving despite practice and more practice. I concluded I was fighting a structural issue and the results it yielded proved this to be the case. It removed a barrier that clearly had been impeding me.

You did study the Stevens system a bit didn't you Robert? It would be my guess that you did. Because your predictions or speculation was right on. Yes if the front upper teeth weren't so long it would definitely allow the upper lip to remain more elastic. It is this supple, vibrant area on the upper lip that is much more conducive to allowing the production of high notes.

When you start really getting the high notes happening it's a great joy. That's kinda the place where I'm at now. Prior to making the complete conversion over to the Stevens system last November I had only applied one major concept of the Stevens system to my game. While this helped my range become better than a lot of others I still felt frustrated. This state continued on for over 45 years.

Was only this past Autumn when I found the mussing link to tge Stevens system. My goal now is just to

1 Improve my new embouchure at least to the point where's it's obvious to others that I've really got the register down. This oughta take between three to six more months.
l
2. Continue working with the two young men I've introduced to tge system. Just today I fit him with a much better mouthpiece.

3. Get more students. Start a clinic. Bring in others I've taughtandl show them as examples.. Help others avoid the sheer Hell of playing most of their career on a limited embouchure. Life is too short to suffer through inefficient embouchures.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:

You did study the Stevens system a bit didn't you Robert? It would be my guess that you did. Because your predictions or speculation was right on. Yes if the front upper teeth weren't so long it would definitely allow the upper lip to remain more elastic. It is this supple, vibrant area on the upper lip that is much more conducive to allowing the production of high notes.

Have never studied Stevens-Costello. I've seen video of Roy Roman playing some airy, shrieky high notes with the horn on the palm of his hand and that's the extent of my familiarity with it.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
Lionel wrote:

Have never studied Stevens-Costello. I've seen video of Roy Roman playing some airy, shrieky high notes with the horn on the palm of his hand and that's the extent of my familiarity with it.

Yeah there were far better videos of his than that one. Those high note squeaks are only his attempt to show how he teaches those people who are beginners to the system. Roy was just imitating the sound that beginners get. There has always been a considerable amount of confusion as to what constitutes the Stevens method. I assure you that Roy Roman can blow a double C as big as a house. Or at least he did before he retired. He's gotten kinda old now and doesn't actually play the trumpet. So I'm told and this is sad. Those videos were filmed a long time ago. Maybe as far back as in the early 1980s. Then they got put out there on the internet without his permission. Taken out of context these videos can almost do more harm than good.

The best thing to do is watch the whole series of Roman's videos over at,

"The Roy Stevens Tribute Site"

Contains all four or five of Roman's videos. Not just the ones where he plays the high squeaky statics but the four other films where he burns the Hell out of them.

His squeaks were only meant for demonstration purposes. To show the beginner both the correct embouchure setting and build his swyeaks into real notes.

That takes a while. I'm probably close to halfway the Stevens system. Some days my double C is a little squeaky but the G below is a strong forte. Then other days they're quite strong. It's a process but the only one that is based in physical laws. If you study this system and are patient? It probably will turn you into a monster player.

I could never just "sit" on a double C before. Not until I started learning the Stevens approach. Play that C until the cows come home today. And every day something improves. One day I'm a little louder. The next one a little more accurate. The Stevens system is the real deal my friend.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: