• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trouble playing High and wondering if its even possible

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveDurand wrote:

And as I understand it when Jon had that huge gap filled in his range took a nosedive and he had it un-fixed.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll probably have some effect (no reason why it couldn't, it's in the mouth after all) but it's not something I'd ever consider just to become 'a better player'. Way too extreme.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody knows that teeth are important for trumpetplaying. Still the discussion is difficult if you have not the slightest idea about what casual connection means. (I hope I translated that well). At the same time I saw the pictures in your post and I suspect that at least some of the players there it had their teeth fixed for better looks only. And the Jon Faddis photo showed about the opposit of what you tried to say.
Further, what makes you think that physical details should be the reason these persons are great players? If so, why should that be by physical aspects you can see? IF physical attributes play a big or major role in certain aspects of trumpetplaying I can imagine several other things than having even teeth.
Probably Maynard, Wayne and other highblowers have something in their constitution that makes the extreme upper register easy but that's the way it is. I think that people can have different talents, so that will be the case for trumpetplaying. But even then I think there are a LOT of non physical attributes that make a great player.
Let's start with breathing. Some people start with trumpetplaying and develop very fast. Obviously they have talent but also they start without having trouble with quite regular thing like breathing. Why? If you are raised as a happy child with a safe environment your breathing has a good chance to be relaxed and deep. But if you are raised in a very unsafe environment your breathing will be 'wrong', high up and with tension. Only that can set you back for years. Especially if teachers around has no idea about the importance of breathing. Second, it's extreme important to form the right embouchure. OK, it's difficult because every person is different but still the embouchure is the decisive element of developing tone, volume, flexibility endurance and range. And then comes a very important thing: the placement of the mouthpiece! (this is absolutely underestimated, teachers seem to think this is an individual thing that follows nature which maybe true but only to a certain extent). And that all has again a big influence on breathing and on articulation.
So for becoming a top player you start with the environment, that condenses in your mind, you learn to use the muscles of your lungs, and when the air comes out through a right formed embouchure (here you need at least some teeth) through the lips and the mouthpiece, hopefully placed in the right way, then comes the right sound. And if the player has a rich mind and a lot of musicality in his body , THEN we can enjoy.
Mr. P, maybe you play better after having done your teeth, still their maybe no casual connection. Remember: the placebo. Same reason that people who buy a 12.000 dollar trumpet will always say it's a better trumpet and they play better on it even if they are the only ones believing that.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Everybody knows that teeth are important for trumpetplaying. Still the discussion is difficult if you have not the slightest idea about what casual connection means...

...Further, what makes you think that physical details should be the reason these persons are great players? If so, why should that be by physical aspects you can see? IF physical attributes play a big or major role in certain aspects of trumpetplaying I can imagine several other things than having even teeth...

...Probably Maynard, Wayne and other highblowers have something in their constitution that makes the extreme upper register easy but that's the way it is. I think that people can have different talents, so that will be the case for trumpetplaying. But even then I think there are a LOT of non physical attributes that make a great player.

It's a given that there are multiple factors involved, having an interface with the instrument that's as cooperative as possible is obviously better than one that's less cooperative.

You're missing the point re: Jon Faddis. He doesn't have teeth exactly like the others but he has a huge gap which when filled in killed his range. Same breathing capacity, etc. but when the big space disappeared it had a major negative impact on his ability to play. Cat Anderson had a prominent gap between his incisors as does Doc.

I promise you there's nothing psychosomatic about the benefit to me of altering my teeth. I also am not advocating anyone else do it, just relating my experience.

Not long ago there was a thread by a user who was convinced that lip overhang was working against him I showed him that I had altered my teeth specifically to increase the overhang - which is even more than his - and airflow and that it worked to my benefit.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. P, I am not missing the point and yes, I know the Faddis story.
I don't want to be pedantic or rude but you still have no idea what casual connection means. Only the fact that two things happen together will NOT say that there is a casual connection.
Same with Jon Faddis. Probably there is some connection between losing his range and the loss of range but which one?
The great Rowuk would say that we all are creatures of habit. Mr. Faddis will be 67 years old tomorrow, maybe he is playing trumpet for 50 to 55 years or so.
All that time he played with that huge gap between his teeth so we may assume that his embouchure and all the corrections on it are made with that gap into the play. Then he has his teeth done. But his embouchure is still thinking that there is a gap between his teeth that in reality does not exist anymore. In other words, his embouchure, made to correct certain aspects of blowing through his front teeth, is now wrong. What to do?
There is not only Jon Faddis, there is also the giant Jon Faddis and the business Jon Faddis. Probably with his repaired teeth within a few months his range, sound and everything else would have returned. Can he be sure? Not really, 67 is old to teach an old dog new tricks. So why take the risk? Have the gap back and live with it. So, did the gap makes the range? No, but without it it could make very tricky business.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Mr. P, I am not missing the point and yes, I know the Faddis story.

I don't want to be pedantic or rude but you still have no idea what casual connection means.

English is my native language - I promise you I understand "casual connection".

Again, while it's not the only change I've made it's an absolute fact that altering my teeth by itself had an immediate, positive impact on my playing. There was a difference that countless hours of focused practice didn't accomplish.

You acknowledge that the teeth are important yet resist the notion that the configuration of the teeth can have an obvious impact.

Okay.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if there is some spelling / usage confusion here

casual connection - casual, meaning 'slight' or 'coincidental'
and
causal connection - causal meaning a result occurs because of an identified action.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Causal Connection is a connection between the behavior and actions (or inaction) of a person and the consequences of such behavior or actions. From "cause" not "casual" as in relaxed.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:

and
causal connection - causal meaning a result occurs because of an identified action.

Jay

stupid me, you are right, once you made that mistake, the spelling machine in especially my phone will continue and I did not see it, it looks quite the same.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
JayKosta wrote:

and

Jay

stupid me, you are right, once you made that mistake, the spelling machine in especially my phone will continue and I did not see it, it looks quite the same.

Either way - if you choose to be skeptical that there's a causal connection, okay.

Btw, re:

Quote:
Probably with his repaired teeth within a few months his range, sound and everything else would have returned.

Out of curiosity - what are you basing your "probably" on?

Last edited by Robert P on Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a friend who was a high note monster. One day he had the dentist fill a significant chip between his top front teeth and he too lost significant range. He says he worked with it long enough to believe the range wasn't coming back so he filed his teeth until the range came back.

Of course Maynard used to have a big gap between his top front teeth. He was fond of telling the story of how a fan approached him and showed how he had modified his teeth to be just like Maynard's. Only to have Maynard show him that he had just had his gap closed. Apparently Maynard could play with or without.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:

Quote:
Probably with his repaired teeth within a few months his range, sound and everything else would have returned.

Because I don't believe that the gap between his teeth plays a major role in his capabilities for the high range. Of course it had/has influence on his embouchure but that would have been set properly again in a few months
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Robert P wrote:

Quote:

Because I don't believe that the gap between his teeth plays a major role in his capabilities for the high range. Of course it had/has influence on his embouchure but that would have been set properly again in a few months

Right....because his range tanking when he had it filled in doesn't seem "causal" to you.

If simply working at it and nothing else is a plausible explanation, can you match Jon's range at his peak?
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:

Right....because his range tanking when he had it filled in doesn't seem "causal" to you.

If simply working at it and nothing else is a plausible explanation, can you match Jon's range at his peak?

1 Yes
2 I gave a plausible explanation, so your nothing else is out of place.

You seem to forget that JF had always a good range so there is good reason to believe that after a temporarily disturbing of his embouchure he would have get that back. I don't understand why that is so difficult for you. It must have to do with this category: High Range Development, which seem to be in the trumpet twilight zone with Great Believers in all kind of weird things.

Let's look from a different angle: sometimes playing things completely the wrong way can create an exceptional ability. Famous is the completely wrong fingering of Bix Beiderbecke which made it possible for him to play things on his horn others could not, at least not with his sound. I had the same on guitar: I could play licks even pro's couldn't play on the spot ONLY because I used the wrong plectrum technique. So maybe JF only had his range because of the gap between his teeth.
But still that would be JF and not anybody else, it is HIS trick (could also be the reason he wanted his gap back).

But if you think otherwise: when will you ask your dentist to create a huge gap between your front teeth? Then you can at least whistle much easier.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Robert P wrote:

1 Yes
2 I gave a plausible explanation, so your nothing else is out of place.

Is it correct that you personally have -0- experience with having your teeth altered?

I was curious what was behind what seemed like a snarky comment, and my initial assessment was correct.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:

Is it correct that you personally have -0- experience with having your teeth altered?

I was curious what was behind what seemed like a snarky comment, and my initial assessment was correct.

1 No, not correct
2 I have no idea what you're talking about
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Robert P wrote:

1 No, not correct
2 I have no idea what you're talking about

You had your incisors altered? In what way?
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken in accident, two new ones, no idea of same length or not (nobody knows).

Mr. Robert P., my question.
You had your teeth altered because you saw that some good players had even teeth in the front without knowing that they are good players for that reason.
Then we have mr. Faddis with bigger very uneven teeth and he is a great player. Then he has the gap between his (still bigger) teeth closed and he could not play very well after this. Then we have mr. Ferguson who had also the gap between his teeth closed and could still play very well.
So the conclusions must be:
- you can play very well with even front teeth
- you can play very well with uneven front teeth
- you can play very well with a gap between your front teeth
- you can play very well without a gap between your front teeth

one possibility left: you can play very well with uneven front teeth provided that you have a gap between your front teeth

My proposal is that we leave it here.
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jerryardo

Quote:
Trouble playing High and wondering if its even possible

Good news. It is and I think it could be a lot easier than a lot of your (well meaning) replies appear to indicate. 60 days and you should be well on your way!

I am a 56 year old guy, started playing trumpet 1354 days ago. Just over 2 months ago I was pretty much exactly at your level. For me G on top of the staff was a note I could perform with good tone in comfort, just!

Bad news - Corona struck. Good news - More time for trumpet. (My business stopped!)

I arranged a zoom lesson with a US based Trumpet professor - a super guy. I had a clear goal - to move one step up the ladder - an easy A above the staff. Lesson was fine - his approach was "listen to the sound" (he has studied under Bill Adams) But afterwards I didn't feel I had any tools to get that "A" any closer.

I went back to the internet.. one guy I had been following for couple of years - Greg Spence (MysterytoMastery - focus on tension less playing.) I read one of his reviews.. "great lesson Greg.. 2nd best in my life, after my one with Jeff Smiley. This rang a bell.. Jeff Smiley ..Balanced Embouchure (BE) isn't that the book I bought a year or so ago and flung down in disappointment cos it seemed so left field.. I found the book. This time I read it properly - A Rubicon moment - if true be told for 3 years my Trumpet, although my most prized possession, has been a Phanos like adversary from the Avenger movies. At times we seemed locked together - good days but then bad days and the "losing again" feeling. (Jerryardo - I just now rang my 20yr old son to get the Phanos example - I have never seen an Avenger film!)

I saw one of your replies -Mike Ansberry - advocates BE. BE doesn't tell you how to make the embouchure - it teaches you how to develop the one and only Jerryardo embouchurewhich is unique for you - after a month or so I think you will notice the difference.

2 months with BE and I feel like Iron Man. I don't even think about that A on top of staff any more - in last 2 weeks I can now play a C above quietly - but BE is more than high notes - it changes the goal posts. Now I feel there are no limits - next step on the ladder? - where we're going we don't need ladders! I call my Trumpet "Trinity", for me BE opens the path out of the Matrix - and jees its exciting, I only wish I had started on this adventure when I was your age- good luck and enjoy the adventures!

Steve in Helsinki
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Broken in accident, two new ones, no idea of same length or not (nobody knows).

You don't have photos of yourself before the accident?

Quote:

You had your teeth altered because you saw that some good players had even teeth in the front without knowing that they are good players for that reason.

It's not only the evenness I was paying attention to, I noticed their teeth tended to be short and that they had obvious overhang of their upper lip over the upper teeth when their mouth was relaxed.

Again, it's obvious there are multiple factors in being a trumpet player, it's also obvious that more cooperative chops are better than less cooperative chops. If you seriously want to dispute that point I'm just going to laugh.

I knew the players I was looking at including other good players I observed who aren't necessarily famous had variations of a particular characteristic. There are other characteristics I noticed like lip shape, but I'm not going to have someone cut on my lips to alter their shape.

What made sense to me is that their teeth were less of an impediment to air and vibration than mine. Besides range issues I also had issues with notes not speaking reliably - which also improved quite a bit when I shortened them.

It's a fact is that everything I theorized would improve did improve after I had those few mm's taken off. I dismiss any notion of it being psychosomatic - the reason I did it is frustration over issues that seemed brick-wall stubborn that just weren't improving despite practice and more practice. I concluded I was fighting a structural issue and the results it yielded proved this to be the case. It removed a barrier that clearly had been impeding me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: