• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Intentional valve mis-alignment for Benge trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:04 pm    Post subject: Intentional valve mis-alignment for Benge trumpets Reply with quote

Intentional valve mis-alignment for Benge trumpets

My favorite horn is a 1921 Conn 80A style cornet that I had totally overhauled about 35 years ago. It played well after the valve job by Anderson. Still I took a chance and sent it to Don Novy for his patented valve alignment. This involved machining the piston barrels and stems to permanently mis-align the valves in a specific way. (To quote one of my friends “why in the bleep would you want to mis-align your valves?”).

The end result was a wonderfully sweet playing instrument that was liked by everyone who tried it. At the same time, I had a time capsule 1953 Conn Vic that I sent to Roy Lawler to align. It too turned out to be a fine playing instrument, but they were different. The Novy alignment resulted in a “Benge-ish” feel while the Lawler alignment gave a more structured “Bach-ish” feel.

I ended up keeping the cornet with the Novy alignment – it’s still on the stand next to my trumpet du jour.

My trumpet du jour (for three years) is a UMI 7X .470 Benge (CG bell, CG leadpipe) that was graciously gifted to me by another player. (I think he got sick of me showing up with ShopGoodwill.com $40 horns.) The Benge took some tinkering (most UMI products of the time were sort of trumpet kits – some assembly required). When I finished with it – it played like a true Benge – the sort of “welcome home honey” feel. It also had the same Benge intonation problems that required you to treat it like a C trumpet. Then I remembered conversations that I had with Novy in the 90’s when he mentioned that he developed his process after noticing that his Benge trumpet played better before standard valve alignments than after.

I decided to see if the Novy mis-alignment would help. (I used alignment shims instead of machining the parts in case I did not like the results.) After doing the process and returning to the original alignment a half dozen times, I’m convinced that it makes D, Eb, and E in the staff easier to play in tune without alternate fingerings and with a more resonate sound. All the notes seem more even and connected – yet the trumpet has not lost its Benge “vibe”.

I have since done this with other trumpets and cornets but find that I have better results with large bore horns. I speculated that this process would be more useful with older technology instruments rather with new instruments with better quality control.

Should you decide to experiment with this, be prepared for a fair amount of exasperation. For the Novy process to work, the trumpet needs to be in excellent alignment to start with. Good measured or visual alignment (with a camera) is not enough. The alignment then needs to be adjusted with shims so that all combinations have a “resonate” sound.

Turns out you need to first follow the process outlined by Bob Reeves in his 70’s valve alignment patent in tuning the “bugles” – then apply the calculated Novy adjustments.

Novy mentioned that either calculated vertical mis-alignment or rotational mis-alignment would work. If the Powell/Blackburn valve guides were available for all instruments it would make the entire process a lot easier.

For your reading enjoyment.

REEVES Patent
https://www.google.com/patents/US3990342

Don Novy Patent
https://patents.google.com/patent/US3973464?oq=Donald+Novy++patent

Powell Blackburn valve guide for rotational alignment
https://www.google.com/patents/US7667117
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Did you misalign all the valves a similar amount or did you misalign only certain valves? How much misalignment do you think your horn ended up with on each valve?
Ron
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per the formula in the patent the average "offset" for the 3rd valve needs to be .07155 * the valve bore. For a trumpet with a .470 bore, the average "offset" for the 3rd valve is (.470*.07155) = .0336
(I used an average offset - the average of the top and bottom limits that Novy believed to be appropriate.)

3rd 0.0336
2nd 0.0168
1st 0.0084

This gives you a 4-2-1 ratio . You could do this 2 ways. If you add .0336 to the existing bottom stem pads, you would subtract .0336 from the top finger button pads. You can do it the other way around if it makes the padding easier.

You find yourself in desperation looking at mylar candy bar wrappers for shim material.

I found it necessary to set up an Excel spreadsheet.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. So part of the bore is blocked to (maybe) create resistance and alter note placements. Haven't tried this, but I can understand why it would work better on large bore horns.
https://yourbrass.com/
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
Very interesting. So part of the bore is blocked to (maybe) create resistance and alter note placements. Haven't tried this, but I can understand why it would work better on large bore horns.

It's tough to tell if it increases resistance since it requires swapping out 6 sets of pads to switch back to the original alignment. I do think it makes the resistance from low register to high seem more even. Above the staff does not feel restricted in any way.

I think Stomvi refers to internal bore variations as "acoustic damping". Normally we stick to "mechanical damping" - heavy valve caps, brace positions, harmonic balancers, O rings, dimes in the 3rd bottom valve cap.

I'm actually of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought. If your instrument does what you want it to do, don't bother with this - it's a real pain since you have to do 3 different valve alignments.
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
As per the formula in the patent the average "offset" for the 3rd valve needs to be .07155 * the valve bore. For a trumpet with a .470 bore, the average "offset" for the 3rd valve is (.470*.07155) = .0336
(I used an average offset - the average of the top and bottom limits that Novy believed to be appropriate.)

3rd 0.0336
2nd 0.0168
1st 0.0084

This gives you a 4-2-1 ratio . You could do this 2 ways. If you add .0336 to the existing bottom stem pads, you would subtract .0336 from the top finger button pads. You can do it the other way around if it makes the padding easier.

You find yourself in desperation looking at mylar candy bar wrappers for shim material.

I found it necessary to set up an Excel spreadsheet.

Thanks for your insight. I may try this on one of my lesser used horns. Keeping track on a spreadsheet is a good idea as well.
Ron
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Thanks for your insight. I may try this on one of my lesser used horns. Keeping track on a spreadsheet is a good idea as well.

Here is how, after a very good initial alignment, you can see if the Novy process is worth it with out investing a lot of time:

Do a trial NOVY vertical “mis-alignment” using 3x5 cards as “feeler” gauges. Note: this does not work unless you already have a very good valve alignment.

a. Cut and glue up two cards so you have a single (1x) thickness, 2x thickness and 4x thickness. 3x5 cards are approximately .008 thick so you will have a thickness of .032, .016, and .008. These are very close to the “offsets” required for the 3 valves using the Novy process for valve instruments with bores of .459-.462. (Also pretty close to the.470 bore requirements.)

b. Loosen the 3rd top valve top cap until the 4x card thickness fits in the space, Loosen the 2nd valve top cap until the 2x card thickness fits and the 1st valve top cap until the 1x card thickness fits. You will now have the 4:2:1 ratio of mis-alignment specified in the Novy process.

c. Play the open notes in your playing range as in the Reeves process. If the high and low notes now feel “closer together” and/or intonation, slurring and attacks are improved, complete step (d) – if NOT, then stick with the Reeves modification and go no farther.

d. Loosen the finger buttons to match the top valve caps – 3rd valve 4x thicknesses, 2nd valve 2x , 1st valve 1x. Everything will clank, but go through the “bugles” for each valve combination (as recommended by Reeves) and see if you have the same improvements you had with the open notes.

e. If you want to do a more exact mis-alignment, you will need digital calipers and will want to set up a spreadsheet to do the calculations based on the pad measurements from the Reeves alignment. Hopefully, the Reeves adjustment will have compensated for any rotational mis-alignment. (This would be a lot easier if you have a 3D printer that can print valve pads to 3 decimal places.)

Last edited by Andy Cooper on Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Intentional valve mis-alignment for Benge trumpets Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
Turns out you need to first follow the process outlined by Bob Reeves in his 70’s valve alignment patent in tuning the “bugles” – then apply the calculated Novy adjustments.
REEVES Patent
https://www.google.com/patents/US3990342

----------------------------------------
I agree that getting the valves in 'best adjustment' can give noticeable improvement.
I also think the final portion of the Reeves patent is worth understanding -

"thereafter testing the upstroke playing response of said instrument;
if such response is defective adjusting the upstroke of said piston to
misalign said piston up to 10/1000 inch; there after testing the downstroke playing response of said instrument; if such response is defective adjusting the downstroke of said piston to misalign said piston in the range of 3/1000 to 10/1000 inch."

Due to manufacturing tolerances regarding the precise location of the tubing and ports, each valve will have its own 'best compromise' position for alignment. I believe that can only to determined by a skilled player / technician who is willing and able to take the time and effort to find that 'best compromise'.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Intentional valve mis-alignment for Benge trumpets Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:

----------------------------------------
I agree that getting the valves in 'best adjustment' can give noticeable improvement.
I also think the final portion of the Reeves patent is worth understanding -

"thereafter testing the upstroke playing response of said instrument;
if such response is defective adjusting the upstroke of said piston to
misalign said piston up to 10/1000 inch; there after testing the downstroke playing response of said instrument; if such response is defective adjusting the downstroke of said piston to misalign said piston in the range of 3/1000 to 10/1000 inch."

Due to manufacturing tolerances regarding the precise location of the tubing and ports, each valve will have its own 'best compromise' position for alignment. I believe that can only to determined by a skilled player / technician who is willing and able to take the time and effort to find that 'best compromise'.

Yes - that's why measured or visual alignment (with camera) gives a pretty good result , but not in my opinion the best result. It's interesting to note that Reeves and Novy applied for patents at about the same time in the 70's. Novy is applying a "one best way" approach while Reeves is more "situational".

I only had moderate success at first when I tried to apply the Novy process to a visual alignment. Only when I went through the Reeves process first, did I get better results. ( I also started measuring my pads on a piston stem rather than directly with digital calipers.)

DIY'ers should probably stop at the Reeves Patent alignment. It is really pretty good.

Oh - while I refer to the Reeve's Patent frequently, I am not implying that Reeves currently uses that process in their valve alignments.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Intentional valve mis-alignment for Benge trumpets Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
Oh - while I refer to the Reeve's Patent frequently, I am not implying that Reeves currently uses that process in their valve alignments.

Then, are you implying that Reeves does not presently use that process, or just saying you don't know, one way or another?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Intentional valve mis-alignment for Benge trumpets Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Andy Cooper wrote:

Then, are you implying that Reeves does not presently use that process, or just saying you don't know, one way or another?

I don't know.

I was told by a THer, a few years ago ,who said they were a former Reeves employee that they did not use that process. All I can do is refer to the Reeves 70's patent and point out that at one time this was the process.
Johnny-Highnote
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 5 Pennys...
A PVA will make (maybe...) sense if the horn feels somewhat stuffy or weird
If the horn still is weird-it's not the horn for You.Blueprinting and other things may turn out good,but maybe it will be still not the horn for You...
It's only a waste of time,nerves and money()
For me the "not for You horn" is a Bach37 with 25 pipe.
On the other hand,if a horn is way too open (a Schilke X4 or something comes in mind-never tried a wild thing,but this one seems to be wide open too)
And sucks the air out of Your lungs-then a Valve misalignment may make perfect results.
I tried this with a Frankenhorn that feels way to open (38b bell and leadpipe
from a rotten Connstellation mixed with a Bauerfeind valve section)
the horn sounds great and is fun to play-but it really sucks You out like Dracula
First thing i did was getting mpc's with smaller throats/backbores,helps a lot....but a misaligbnemt of ca. 1mm really helped making that beast playable (and shorter stroke... )
So it's worth a try-and can be rebuilt easily.

38b "Frankenconn" with Bauerfeind Valve block/ Yamaha 6345G /Yamaha 631/Courtois 154G / Curry+Klier 1,5 mpc`s
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny-Highnote wrote:
but a misaligbnemt of ca. 1mm really helped making that beast playable (and shorter stroke... )
So it's worth a try-and can be rebuilt easily.

I don't really feel the Novy process makes the horn blow "tighter". Logically it should but it just seems to even the feel from low to high and make intonation more forgiving. I use a smaller than normal backbore on my .485 bore Conn 80A cornet with both conventional and Novy alignment. You would need two identical instruments to compare to be sure.

It does not change the length of the valve stroke since both the piston felts and the finger button felts are changed the same amount.

If you save the original felts/pads, once you do the process switching back and forth does not take too long. You just have to be careful.

There are limits to this - the trumpet has to have some redeeming qualities to start with. I can't make a student trumpet sound like my Benge just by alignment.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny-Highnote wrote:
Just my 5 Pennys...

On the other hand,if a horn is way too open (a Schilke X4 or something comes in mind-never tried a wild thing,but this one seems to be wide open too)
And sucks the air out of Your lungs-then a Valve misalignment may make perfect results.

I have an X4 and it has resistance built in that makes it easy to play. Seems to me that having resistance in the right place is vital to making any horn work.
I've tried a few Wild Things and found a lack of resistance that would get me into trouble pretty quickly.

It makes sense that it's possible to align valves in a non-standard way that might improve some instruments. Anything you do can change the horn.
https://yourbrass.com/
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
Johnny-Highnote wrote:
Just my 5 Pennys...

I have an X4 and it has resistance built in that makes it easy to play. Seems to me that having resistance in the right place is vital to making any horn work.
I've tried a few Wild Things and found a lack of resistance that would get me into trouble pretty quickly.

It makes sense that it's possible to align valves in a non-standard way that might improve some instruments. Anything you do can change the horn.

I'm not convinced that the Novy alignment increases felt resistance. If increasing the resistance of a horn is the goal then smaller backbores, throats, and tuning slides are a better way to go.

I have a Conn 6B .438 bore trumpet around that never played to my satisfaction. I'll take time later this week to do a Novy alignment. If there is an increase in felt resistance it should show up more clearly in a small bore trumpet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: