• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Water key tension has major affect on resistance of blow!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAidanAU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone able to send a video demonstrating this? I would like to see how this is done properly, I would not want to damage my horn.
RETrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Assuming that the water key isn't leaking, why would adjusting the spring tension of the water key have any effect on the playing characteristics or sound of the horn, let alone a big effect?

To the extent players say that it has a big effect, I'm in no position to argue with what they perceive happens. So, I want to make it clear that I'm not being argumentative. I'm just looking for an explanation that meets a logical objective standard.

Jon Faddis plays a Schilke without a water key but I thought his purpose was to eliminate disruption to the sound caused by the presence of a water key hole.

Maybe a manufacturer or experienced technician can chime in here.

I'm not a builder, but just a few thoughts generated by your comments on the Faddis horn...

The issue with the water key hole is not the hole itself. It's the fact that a nodal point can intersect the hole, in which case it reflects (not the right word, I think) off of the cork instead of the metal. This is the issue that Amado water keys were designed to fix (the hole closes with a metal cylinder). Faddis went the extra step and just removed them altogether.

We know that different materials and other modifications like heavy bracing or the Getzen sound post can affect the way these nodal points react as well.

My guess is that tension of the water key squeezes the fork that holds the screw. When "overtight", it would apply stresses to the tubing and cause it to be stiffer in an area where we know that nodal points can land, thus changing the response.

It's a SWAG theory, but that's my thought.
Picc: Stomvi Master, Couesnon Monopole
Cornet: Schilke A2C, '23 Buescher
Flugel: Scodwell Prototype
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Olds Recording trumpet and cornet have trombone style water keys so the pivot rods run along the tubing rather than across. How should I adjust these. Oh wait, the pivots aren’t threaded so I guess I’m out of luck and will just have to live with how they play.
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Olds Recording trumpet and cornet have trombone style water keys so the pivot rods run along the tubing rather than across. How should I adjust these. Oh wait, the pivots aren’t threaded so I guess I’m out of luck and will just have to live with how they play.
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring tension is the issue. I would worry far less about the screw, unless it was really cranked in there.
The unthreaded screws are often bent, so maybe straightening might help.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheAidanAU wrote:
Is anyone able to send a video demonstrating this? I would like to see how this is done properly, I would not want to damage my horn.

-------------------------------
Don't mess around with the springs - if you remove the water key and spring, you are likely to scratch the tubing when you put it back together.

For screw tightness, turn the head of the screw about 1/4 turn counter-clockwise to loosen it. Then gently turn it slightly clockwise until you feel some resistance - that's all that is needed.

More about water key springs - with NEW springs there are long straight legs that go inside the mounting bracket under the pivot rod. Sometimes after being installed those spring legs are bent around the bracket and are cut short.
If a spring with bent & cut legs is removed, it can be BIG pain to re-install it - there is very little material to hold and the cut ends are sharp and pointy.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading this thread with interest, and decided it was time to put this to the test with a horn I've had in my closet for a while that plays nicely, but for me, has always felt like there was too much resistance. It is a Galileo Dolce Bel Canto model trumpet that I bought a few years back...shortly after they came on the market.

I pulled it out of its case and played it for a bit, just to get a feel for it again. The water key on the main tuning slide has always felt a bit stiff (too tight), but I never tried adjusting it. I backed the threaded bolt (it has a hex head rather than being a slotted screw or thumb screw head) out about a 1/4 turn and played it some more. It plays like a completely different trumpet now. It resonates better, which affects the sound in a positive manner (more overtones...not dark, but a fuller, rounder tone), and I don't feel like I have to over blow to get the sound I'm looking for. I took it to a rehearsal last night, and can't believe how much better it plays.

I cannot speak for how other horns will react to this adjustment, but for this specific horn, it made an enormous difference.
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three separate things, actually:

1. Strength of the spring can cause excess tension and stress where the spring mount attaches to the slide. Monette uses an Amado-style key just for this reason. (The softness of the metal that Monette preferred at one point in time would actually cause a bend and eventually a potential tear in the brass. The key also dented the slide easily of the top of the key was pushed too hard into the brass.)

2. Excess tightening of the screw (a mechanical fastener) can cause tension in the entire key mechanism, and reduce resonance. When the slightest amount of tension is removed, the instrument plays entirely differently. This also can happen with the bottom valve caps. hence the use of o-rings to keep the caps from rattling when slightly loosened. There is a "formula" to that as well, and these things need to be monitored for loosening due to the vibration during playing.

3. Cork seal can affect how well the key is sealed. If it is worn or fits poorly, the seal is not complete, which can change the response and playing of a trumpet. Interestingly, I was shown a trick on "La Mer" where the cornet goes up to a high Ab-Bb slur at a very soft dynamic, and the trick was to open the water key when on the high Ab, and the instrument slurs right up to the high Bb. I learned this from my teacher, who learned it from Harry Glantz.

All my best,

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Saturn water keys put on my primary horns, and it feels like there's nothing there at all.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rwwilson wrote:

You're not out of luck, you're lucky enough to play an instrument that was designed by builders who recognized the tight water key screw issues and opted to fix them for you .
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the tensions right on my Bach 37s and have no in tension to move them. There is definitely a sweet spot with these water key springs and my recommendation is it's just loosened little from fully tightened. I just wonder over the years if the new Bachs all got tightened the same or different. My guess is that could have determined playability out of the factory. Maybe the one cat who worked at the factory Can chime in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: