• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Finally picking it up again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aurorealis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Finally picking it up again Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

I'm Rory and I'm about to graduate high school in a few days. I played trumpet from elementary to some of high school, but I stopped to commit to competitive swimming. I miss playing very much, and now that I'm retired from swimming I can allow myself to consider returning to my horn. Before I stopped playing, my mouthpiece placement had migrated to the right and to my bottom lip. I sounded alright but I could feel how squashed some of the higher notes were. I hope I can use this comeback to adjust my embouchure. I've only been doing long tones and buzzing in front of a mirror the last few days. If I decide I'm really going to commit to this at the end of this week or so, I'll find a teacher. I look forward to talking with you all!

Last edited by aurorealis on Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you’ve only been away from trumpet for a few years. Go slow, start low, and use some long tones or simple exercises to come back. Don’t push if you feel tired. In my experience the fact that your embochure or mouthpiece placement seems to have moved is not much of an issue. Either it will go back or you’ll find another comfortable spot as soon as you’re back into more playing. A lot of people seem to change their way of playing over time. I hold my horns lower and use more of the top lip in the mp than I used to, but you need to find out for yourself. Welcome back.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
aztecwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Rory. I like you took time off in 1969 for war. Thought I would restart after military service but it took me til retirement in 2011 to start again. I agree that you should not rush it, but go slow and do not get discouraged with your progress. Set reasonable achieveable goals, like breath control, tongueing speeds, fingering speeds, range, etc. I also had concern about lip placement on my mouthpiece but as Brassnose stated, it will fall into a comfortable place over time. I also noticed my selection of mouthpiece size changed dramatically from back in school, as yours may also. Finally settled on one that allowed me to hit a full range from pedal tones to double high A over high C within a reasonable time, with proper exercises. I play just for fun and enjoyment in community band. Not looking to play lead or anything for a while.
Good luck in finding your way back.

Bach Strad 72
Bach Strad Lone Star Limited Edition 37
Olds Recording
Olds Super
Olds Opera
Olds Strad Cornet 25
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Rory. Like you, I dropped the trumpet in high school for sports and that lasted through college. I picked it up off and on after that until about 30 years ago, when I picked it back up for good. So I encourage you to play and enjoy it. It can be a lifelong pleasure.
As others have said, go slow. Play with your best sound and gradually push yourself to be what you want to be as a trumpeter. Having a teacher can really help this process.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: