• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Replating my Callet Sima in silver plate vs lacquer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qnaza
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Replating my Callet Sima in silver plate vs lacquer? Reply with quote

Hello all

I have and very much enjoy a laquered Callet Sima Bb and I'm thinking of replating it to give it a new lease on life.

Do I go for a relaquering or silver plating? I'm already biased since I prefer the look of silver plate, so I want some objective views based on people's epxeriences. Has anyone played a Callet Sima silver and lacquer side-by-side who could tell me how they found them?

Thanks for any help or tips.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm not trying to be funny, but I do have a couple solutions. First, I had a SIMA in silver plate and found the horn just too bright for my taste and playing. It was very directional and laser like too. Silver plating this horn is going to involve buffing and already light bell and body, that means taking some metal off the horn and shining before plating. The horn is already pretty bright playing. So, why not strip the lacquer and try it in raw brass?

Another solution, Kanstul, who made the horn, is gone so getting a lead pipe may be hard, although I think it's a copy of a Besson pipe. So, why not sell the horn and buy one already in silver plated?

Just some thoughts, Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't re-lacquering the horn add back some volume vs. leaving it unlacquered?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Wouldn't re-lacquering the horn add back some volume vs. leaving it unlacquered?

Don't know, but re-lacquering will also involve buffing, hence removing metal and making the bell and other parts thinner and possibly making the horn brighter. Years ago my favorite go to horn was a Lawler TL in raw brass. I felt like I could just feel the notes vibrate in my hands. I loved the way the horn played and felt. After a few years of playing I decided to send it to Roy to get some tweaking and a PVA. I noticed he was offering a scratch lacquer finish for $175 so I figured, what the heck? When I got the horn back it was dead in my hands, the feedback was greatly different and it just didn't zing or have the sound it had before. Sure, I could have sent it back or stripped it, but just didn't care for the horn anymore. I went back to my VR. In retrospect, I should have called Roy and figured out the problem, but money at that point would have been an issue. I've had raw brass horns sense and still like them. I also had a raw brass Bach I should have kept, but oh well.

Back then I could only afford one horn at a time. I think weather you do raw brass, silver plate or gold plate is personal preference. My present horns are a Stomvi (Reeves) VR with VR II Bell and is a great player and my go to. A Schilke S42HD in raw brass and another great playing horn, and a Stomvi Forte pocket in silver that also plays great and all have their place in my arsenal. Oops, for got to mention the Getzen pic in lacquer, Kanstul flugelhorn and Yamaha D/Eb (both silver).

It's up to you, what you can afford and what plays best for you. I never cared about the asthetics of the horn, but how well it played, the finish is secondary to me.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Qnaza
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the input. The guy I would use, Will Spencer, here in the UK, is a marvel with instruments, and the lacquer is removed by acid bath, not abrasion, after which he'd remove all the bumps and such to get a perfectly smooth finish, then a buff, and relaquer/plate.

Can't see much material being removed in the process.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffing, if done correctly, should be minimal. On horns that do not required cutting out pits and scratches, a milder compound can be used, followed by soft wheel "coloring" using jewelers rouge and a soft wheel. I'd recommend Rich Ita, Charlie Melk or Steve "Dr. Valve" Winans. RicK Morovic, retired Schilke foreman, is also doing some work. These guys are all meticulous.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked the same thing about my Olds Recording and the general consensus was: "if the horn sounds great, don't touch it. The raw brass/partial lacquer can withstand the elements just fine as long as you keep it clean and dry."

I'll admit I'd still like to give it a fresh look, as I'll be playing it for the rest of my life, but I'm SOOOO anxious to mess up the sound qualities it currently has that I don't dare to.
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<Silver plating this horn is going to involve buffing and already light bell and body>>

Please excuse me, but I have to make a correction. For an especially rich and powerful sound, the bells on Callet Sima and NY Soloist Bb and C trumpets were hand hammered from a decidedly heavier gauge brass than anyone else's. Before production, Callet Trumpets designed and actually paid in advance for the unique heavy weight brass for Jerry's very special Sima and NY Soloist bells. Bell weight is just one of a number of modifications that moved Jerry's last two designs well beyond his prior Soloist, Jazz, and Superchops designs.

Best regards, Kyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: