• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

S. E. Shires picc?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
All Star Music

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: S. E. Shires picc? Reply with quote

Has anyone had the chance to try the various Shires piccs? I'm curious how the different bells feel and sound, and how they compare as a group to other popular piccs (Yamaha, Getzen, Schilke, etc...). Also, how do the Shires piccs play with Blackburn leadpipes?
All Star Music Brass Consultant

Bb - 1977 Bach 37 / GR 67L
C - 2012 S. E. Shires 4P3 / GR 67L
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a chance to play one at the NAMM show 2 years ago. I enjoyed the way the horn played... similar to the Schilke P5-4.
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shires Picc plays circles around the newer Schilkes I’ve played.

I play a Yamaha 9825. If I didn’t, I’d get a Shires. Best 2 picca I’ve played, outside of maybe the Thein.
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 3 piccs - a Schilke P5-4 that I've had since 1986, a standard configuration Shires, and a long bell Spencer.
If you have any specific questions, just ask. Here are a few general comments -
The Spencer has the darkest sound and plays more like a big horn. It works great as a solo horn and for those pieces where you might want more volume.

The Schilke's have been cloned many times and I believe that is because they have such an excellent design. In some ways, the P5-4 is still my go-to horn but you have to remember that I've used it for 34 years so comfort is definitely a factor. I use a Blackburn trumpet lead pipe in A and the standard Schilke cornet lead pipe in Bb.

As for the Shires, I guess I would describe it as a Schilke-like horn with a little more refinement. I use the Shires supplied lead pipes. They supply 4 lead pipes - A & Bb for both cornet & trumpet. I have not tried a Blackburn pipe on this horn.,
BaldEagle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the Shires so much, I bought one, sold my Schilke P5-4 and never looked back. I totally agree with patdubic, the Shires is a more refined version of the Schilke. Pitch is a bit better, sound is a bit fuller. In particular the Bb side of the the Shires is far superior to my Schilke. I've never felt the need to try Blackburn pipes on this horn
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaldEagle wrote:
I liked the Shires so much, I bought one, sold my Schilke P5-4 and never looked back. I totally agree with patdubic, the Shires is a more refined version of the Schilke. Pitch is a bit better, sound is a bit fuller. In particular the Bb side of the the Shires is far superior to my Schilke. I've never felt the need to try Blackburn pipes on this horn

Contemplating on doing the exact same thing.
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve messed around on one my friend owns, he swears it’s the best piccolo he’s ever played. It’s been a number of years since I’ve tried it, though.
Eric Ball
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely fantastic instrument! I prefer the trumpet leadpipe setup. It has a gorgeous modern piccolo sound. Centers great in the "low" notes and sings right up to the last note you have. Have only tried (and bought) the 9Y bell. I agree, there is no need for a blackburn pipe..Shires got this right.

Mike Baker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: