• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Super Lube as a valve oil/slide grease

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Super Lube as a valve oil/slide grease Reply with quote

I've recently been introduced to two Super Lube products: their 100 cSt silicone oil and their silicone grease. They work very well in non-instrument applications. I'm wondering if these products would work on trumpets as a synthetic valve oil and slide grease. They seem to have the right consistency.

Are they safe for use on brass instruments? Any side effects such as gumming or residue? I'd be glad to hear anybody's experiences or chemical knowledge.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a particular reason why you'd want to use either of these over something that's developed to be safe for brass instruments specifically?

Not to say they won't work, I'm just curious as to what you hope to achieve that regular brass instrument valve oils cannot.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
Is there a particular reason why you'd want to use either of these over something that's developed to be safe for brass instruments specifically?

Not to say they won't work, I'm just curious as to what you hope to achieve that regular brass instrument valve oils cannot.

Agreed.

Industrial general purpose lubricants - and automotive lubricants have to deal with conditions that instrument lubricants don't have to - extreme temperatures, for example.

I notice that Super-Lube greases "do not wash away by acids or alkalis" which I'm not sure is a good thing.

Lanolin has all of the properties needed in a grease.

There are a ton of superb valve oils out there. Most of the modern ones DO have all of these features that Super Lube describes, except they are designed for usage in brass instruments.

I'm sure the resident TH techs will chime in, but I don't get the need to look at non-brass lubricants. 30 or 40 Years ago, when we were still using Al Cass and Holton? Maybe. But that's long ago.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn

Last edited by Crazy Finn on Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the info at the website - https://www.super-lube.com/synthetic-lightweight-oil , I don't see any reason the 'food grade' products would cause any problem - as long as the viscosity was appropriate to give the desired valve and slide action.

For players who are very concerned about the health effects of oil and grease, using 'food grade' products might give confidence in their safety. But some people might be especially sensitive to even 'food grade' products, so 100% usability is not guaranteed.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
From the info at the website - https://www.super-lube.com/synthetic-lightweight-oil , I don't see any reason the 'food grade' products would cause any problem - as long as the viscosity was appropriate to give the desired valve and slide action.

For players who are very concerned about the health effects of oil and grease, using 'food grade' products might give confidence in their safety. But some people might be especially sensitive to even 'food grade' products, so 100% usability is not guaranteed.

Jay

I suppose that's possible.

However, Lanolin is a natural product, as is Berp BioOil. Both are far more transparent about their ingredients than Super Lube - or something like Yamaha, Ultra Pure or Hetman.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:

Not hoping to achieve anything special, just had the stuff laying around and got curious. Might be a fun little experiment with one of my old student horns.

Good info all around
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMonteiro wrote:
Not hoping to achieve anything special, just had the stuff laying around and got curious. Might be a fun little experiment with one of my old student horns.

Well, if you're gonna try it, feel free to let us know the results. I'm no less curious than you...I just don't have a spare horn laying around to mess around with.
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
PMonteiro wrote:

Well, if you're gonna try it, feel free to let us know the results. I'm no less curious than you...I just don't have a spare horn laying around to mess around with.

Tried it on my Yamaha 2320 and the verdict is in:

The silicone oil is on the slower side when put on valves. Probably wouldn't work too well as valve oil unless the valves are heavily worn. Might work as a slide oil for 1st and 3rd slides.

The grease seems to work on slides. It's somewhere between the consistency of Selmer/Bach Red and Schilke.
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMonteiro - I just saw this post and I am not surprised about the thickness. An oil with 100 cSt viscosity (most likely measured @ 40 deg C) is equivalent to a straight 30W motor oil. Much to viscous for trumpet valves. Most trumpet valve oils fall between 2-5 cSt @100 Deg C and would be similar to 0W to 15W motor oils. Glad you provided feedback here for others.
Ron
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their website…

https://www.super-lube.com/oils

…states:

“Super Lube® Synthetic Oils are environmentally friendly. These products contain essentially no VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) and are biodegradable.
Super Lube® Synthetic Oils are Kosher Certified.”

That’s interesting to me.

But surprise! I’ve used their products on my trumpet/cornet/flugelhorn FOR YEARS! I mainly use their product on “fast” slides (never on valves), which include the normal 1st & 3rd slides, but also main tuning slides on horns with a trigger to such, and I have a lot of horns with triggers that allow me to micro-tune down any note, which saves me wear and tear on the chops on busy playing days. This includes: a trigger on my Spencer 4v tunable bell piccolo (although this requires a thicker grease due to the weight of the bell), a customized trigger on the tunable bell of my B&S 4v E-flat tpt, and to a tuning slide on my custom 3+1 flugel. (All of that is for another discussion, or you can PM me.) My objective is to have all “fast” slides operating like a trombone slide…I don’t like any “hang” in the movement.

I had used Bach slide grease (the thick red slide stuff) and cut it with valve oil for years before that, but getting the right viscosity was always challenging and took time. Then I used Yamaha and other slide greases and cut them with valve oil. Then I was in the automotive section of Walmart getting something for one of our cars and saw the Super Lube MFG#51010 on the shelf:

https://www.super-lube.com/multi-purpose-synthetic-oil-with-syncolon-ptfe-51010

I liked the needle-nosed eyedropper. (I just called one of their salespersons, who said that they call this a “quarter ounce pen oiler,” since the needle-nosed section can hold a quarter ounce.) This applicator allows me get into tight areas between slides without making a mess…especially when a certain portion of the slide requires just a little, and also for the threading of top/bottom caps.

In using the #51010 oil, I still had to use a little valve oil to cut the viscosity for the “fast” slides and eventually found their #21030 Synthetic Grease for “slow” slides (2nd slide and main tuning slide without a trigger).

A couple of months ago, I finally contacted the company about their oils with a lighter/thinner viscosity and then ordered directly from them these two that are thinner:

https://www.super-lube.com/synthetic-lightweight-oil

https://www.super-lube.com/synthetic-extra-lightweight-oil

The smallest container for both of these is the 4-oz bottle, which is okay, and I don’t mind if I make a little mess, since I’ve “discovered” my wonderful technique of pouring a little rubbing alcohol in the cap of the alcohol bottle and using a Q-tip to clean the oil off of hard-to-reach areas and a paper towel and alcohol to clean the easy-to-reach areas.

They only offer the small bottle with the “quarter ounce pen oiler” on the one MFG#51010 oil, btw, but I’ve moved on to using the Extra Lightweight Oil as my main “fast” slides oil (but still cutting it with a little valve oil). (For bottom/top caps, I’ve resorted to applying a little of the thicker Bach slide grease that I have, using a toothpick to put a little on both sides of the threads and letting it smear on as I screw them on.) I won’t be buying any other than the Super Lube Extra Lightweight in the future, unless something else better comes along. I am aware of products from Ultra Pure, La Tromba (key oil), Hetman, Monster Oil, and many others now, but I’ve been on this other track of using Super Lube way before these other companies caught on to what we needed for “fast” slides. The product lasts long and has no odor!

Oh, and I should clarify: I've resorted to using the thick Bach grease for my "slow" (mainly 2nd) slides and don't use the Super Lube Synthetic Grease; I found it not to last as long on those slides as basic Bach or Yamaha grease.
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnman - interesting info on the viscosity. Super Lube also makes a 5000 cSt oil which I can't even imagine going anywhere near a trumpet.

dstpt - great to hear a perspective from someone who has used this stuff for years. The longevity of the grease is very interesting. Bach is currently my primary grease and the fact that it lasts forever is one thing I love about it. The Super Lube not lasting as long would definitely be a downside.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: