• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

8310Z Gen II - rubber waterkey seal?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: 8310Z Gen II - rubber waterkey seal? Reply with quote

Hi,

What kind of material is being used to seal the waterkeys of the current 8310Z (Gen II) trumpet?

I see it's black. Is it still the same rubber seal (with a nipple) that was used in the previous generation? Or it's a different kind of material?

Thank you.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I don't have any useful information for you.

I just wanted to note that this is the most trumpetherald.com question of all time.
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 8310Z Gen II - rubber waterkey seal? Reply with quote

abundrefo wrote:
Hi,

What kind of material is being used to seal the waterkeys of the current 8310Z (Gen II) trumpet?

I see it's black. Is it still the same rubber seal (with a nipple) that was used in the previous generation? Or it's a different kind of material?

Thank you.

To my eyes, it looks to be the same thing. Same shape. Same color.
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:

I just wanted to note that this is the most trumpetherald.com question of all time.

If I really have to explain why I asked this question, here it goes:

1- The rubber seal (with a nipple) that was used in the previous generation was awful because, occasionally, it dries (and it shrinks) and the water key starts to leak badly. I used to play a 8310Z and it took me a while to figure out what was going on.

2- There are a lot of topics discussing the effect of cork vs. synthetic corks vs. rubber, and so on, here on the TH forum. And I did notice some horns are very sensitive to the material used on their water keys.

3- Besides the Yamaha rubber seal, there are other synthetic seals that are black but that do not dry that easily. For instance, there is the one that Schilke uses.

4- The only clue I have so far is that the 8310Z has a black seal in the water key. And, if Yamaha is still using that same rubber seal in their horns, I just think they are missing an opportunity to upgrade and find something that works better.
2many5s

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abundrefo wrote:
Turkle wrote:

If I really have to explain why I asked this question, here it goes:

1- The rubber seal (with a nipple) that was used in the previous generation was awful because, occasionally, it dries (and it shrinks) and the water key starts to leak badly. I used to play a 8310Z and it took me a while to figure out what was going on.

2- There are a lot of topics discussing the effect of cork vs. synthetic corks vs. rubber, and so on, here on the TH forum. And I did notice some horns are very sensitive to the material used on their water keys.

3- Besides the Yamaha rubber seal, there are other synthetic seals that are black but that do not dry that easily. For instance, there is the one that Schilke uses.

4- The only clue I have so far is that the 8310Z has a black seal in the water key. And, if Yamaha is still using that same rubber seal in their horns, I just think they are missing an opportunity to upgrade and find something that works better.

That little black seal fell out when I emptied first slide habitually just prior to opening note sitting in dark waiting for curtain to go up and lights to go on while sitting on a black stage, this only happens to you once in your career! (I used a tiny dab of silicone glue whenever replacing them and kept spares in the bag)
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have personally witnessed, on two occasions at clinics, Yamaha Atelier technician, Wayne Tanabe, advocating natural cork in waterkeys. An improvement in resonance and projection was apparent in both cases after he replaced synthetic with cork. I think the effect is similar to using cork rather than skin pads in clarinets.
chrisf3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Yamaha is going away from natural cork, because of the fact that it shrinks over time. The latest compound they are using in the Gen. 3 Chicago and NY models is a firmer compound that is more dense and not as spongy as some neoprene corks. I have a feeling they might be using the corks with the new compound on the current 8310Z (Gen II) models as well.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
I have personally witnessed, on two occasions at clinics, Yamaha Atelier technician, Wayne Tanabe, advocating natural cork in waterkeys. An improvement in resonance and projection was apparent in both cases after he replaced synthetic with cork. I think the effect is similar to using cork rather than skin pads in clarinets.

+1

Natural cork is, for me, the best material for waterkeys. I haven't seen shrinkage of it over time either, and I've worked on many old horns. What happens is that the "seat" of the cork gets deeper and deeper as it compresses. They need replacing at long intervals, a small job. It's best to have a light seat on the cork to start with - this is also confirmed by Mr. Tanabe.
https://yourbrass.com/
multiphonic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't pass the laugh test:

Ed Kennedy wrote:
I have personally witnessed, on two occasions at clinics, Yamaha Atelier technician, Wayne Tanabe, advocating natural cork in waterkeys. An improvement in resonance and projection was apparent in both cases after he replaced synthetic with cork.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 8310Z Gen II - rubber waterkey seal? Reply with quote

abundrefo wrote:
Hi,

Thank you.

I replaced the nippled rubber water key seals on my 8310Z with cork and the horn definitely plays better. When those rubber seals get hard and worn the leak!

Pete
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

multiphonic wrote:

Ed Kennedy wrote:
I have personally witnessed, on two occasions at clinics, Yamaha Atelier technician, Wayne Tanabe, advocating natural cork in waterkeys. An improvement in resonance and projection was apparent in both cases after he replaced synthetic with cork.

Actually, multiphonic, Wayne has performed similar minor tweaks with materials on my horns that have radically altered the way it plays. I actually do think that Ed Kennedy is telling the truth, as I have personally witnessed it on my horns as well when visiting the Yamaha Atelier.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cork is the best material, period. It needs replacing every couple of years, but the rubber stopper idea is useless. It looks good but, as others have noted, shrinks and hardens with age. This sounds like voodoo, but maybe you should do the voodoo that you do so well...
https://yourbrass.com/
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

multiphonic wrote:

Ed Kennedy wrote:

Multiphonic, seriously??

Because you’re not aware or you disagree does not necessarily make it so. FYI, a very well known and respected brass tech in New York told me, when I inquired about water key corks for my Benge, that different materials absolutely do affect response. It surprised me to hear that, but then again, I certainly don’t know everything.😳

Come on man.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 8310Z Gen II - rubber waterkey seal? Reply with quote

Pete wrote:

I replaced the nippled rubber water key seals on my 8310Z with cork and the horn definitely plays better. When those rubber seals get hard and worn the leak!

Pete

-------------------------------
Were the rubber seals leaking or cracked at the time of replacement?

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
Cork is the best material, period. It needs replacing every couple of years, but the rubber stopper idea is useless. It looks good but, as others have noted, shrinks and hardens with age. This sounds like voodoo, but maybe you should do the voodoo that you do so well...

Absolutely not disputing the above, but wasn’t the reason for that little stopper supposed to be that it might fill the space and lessen any disruption, sort of like what an Amado is supposed to do? I seem to remember Schilke using that rubber water key “cork” for a while. Apparently they were not a good idea.

Brad
multiphonic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
multiphonic wrote:

Ed Kennedy wrote:

Multiphonic, seriously??

Because you’re not aware or you disagree does not necessarily make it so. FYI, a very well known and respected brass tech in New York told me, when I inquired about water key corks for my Benge, that different materials absolutely do affect response. It surprised me to hear that, but then again, I certainly don’t know everything.😳

Come on man.

Brad

The solid material (cork, rubber, aluminum foil, chewing gum...) covering a water key hole influences trumpet resonance and projection and this can be perceived by the player or listener? It's a flat surface covering a ~4mm hole.

Snake oil.

Last edited by multiphonic on Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

multiphonic wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
multiphonic wrote:

Ed Kennedy wrote:

Multiphonic, seriously??

Come on man.

Brad

The solid material (cork, rubber, aluminum foil, chewing gum...) covering a water key influences resonance and projection? I call total BS. Show me some data otherwise and I'll gladly stand corrected..

Snake oil.

Your opinion. Congratulations, Capt. Kirk.

Apparently you have experience and expertise superior to guys recognized in the industry as experts, so how about some data that supports YOUR opinion?

Is it within the realm of possibility that you’re not as sensitive to trumpet response characteristics as some others are?

Brad
multiphonic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
multiphonic wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
multiphonic wrote:

Ed Kennedy wrote:

Multiphonic, seriously??

Come on man.

Brad

The solid material (cork, rubber, aluminum foil, chewing gum...) covering a water key influences resonance and projection? I call total BS. Show me some data otherwise and I'll gladly stand corrected..

Snake oil.

Apparently you have experience and expertise superior to guys recognized in the industry as experts, so how about some data that supports YOUR opinion?

Is it within the realm of possibility that you’re not as sensitive to trumpet response characteristics as some others are?

Brad

Sure. But I am quite sensitive to ridiculous claims. Get your 'experts' to provide some actual data, re: impacts of flat surface material composition when covering a ~4mm hole on air turbulence within a water key chamber and, in turn, resonance and projection produced by a trumpet, then we'll talk. I bet they can't.

Last edited by multiphonic on Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

multiphonic wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
multiphonic wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
multiphonic wrote:

Ed Kennedy wrote:

Multiphonic, seriously??

Come on man.

Brad

Snake oil.

Brad

Sure. But I am quite sensitive to ridiculous claims. Get your 'experts' to provide some actual data, then we'll talk. I bet they can't.

🥱

Brad
multiphonic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
multiphonic wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
multiphonic wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
multiphonic wrote:

Ed Kennedy wrote:

Multiphonic, seriously??

Come on man.

Brad

Snake oil.

Brad

Sure. But I am quite sensitive to ridiculous claims. Get your 'experts' to provide some actual data, then we'll talk. I bet they can't.

🥱

Brad

There is a sucker born every minute. Apparently every 30 seconds in the trumpet world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: