• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Water/Valve Oil Accumulating in Valve Bottom Caps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Water/Valve Oil Accumulating in Valve Bottom Caps Reply with quote

Hi all,

For the past few months, I have been noticing a combination of water and valve oil accumulating in the bottom caps on my horn's valve casing. I originally thought this was occurring due to using too much valve oil, so I scaled back from four drops per valve to two. However, I still have been noticing significant accumulation in the bottom caps. Valve compression is excellent, so I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with loose valves. I also empty the 2nd and 3rd valve slides every day to minimize water buildup in the horn.

One thing I did notice is that when depressed, the valve protrudes slightly into the bottom section of the valve casing, which is of slightly larger diameter than the portion where the valve sits when unpressed. I'm not sure if this is the cause of the buildup, but though it might be worth mentioning.

This the bottom section of the casing (with the slightly increased diameter):

When depressed, the valve continues into this section (same for all valves):

I would much appreciate any suggestions or recommendations on how to solve this - the valve oil in the buildup leaks into the case and leaves residue on the bottom of the valve casing.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Condensation Reply with quote

Have you changed your valve oil recently? Are applying the valve oil from the top or bottom of the valves. Do you keep your trumpet in a closed case?
Getzen 4 B mouthpiece
Yamaha 11 e mouthpiece
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Condensation Reply with quote

jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:
Have you changed your valve oil recently? Are applying the valve oil from the top or bottom of the valves. Do you keep your trumpet in a closed case?

I have not recently switched valve oil - for the first few months I played the horn I used Hetman 2# and for the last two months or so I have been using UltraPure regular - both oils exhibit the same buildup. I oil the valves daily from the top of the piston (usual deal - unscrew top caps, pull piston, apply two drops of oil, and reassemble). I keep the horn in a mostly closed case - I shut the lid, but don't zip it shut, leaving a small opening at the front of the case.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it’s a sign of worn valves. Even if you experience a good compression.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could have to do with humidity and warmer weather.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
For me it’s a sign of worn valves. Even if you experience a good compression.

I can't imagine it's worn valves - the horn is just a few months old.

Crazy Finn wrote:
Could have to do with humidity and warmer weather.

That's a good thought, though I did experience this same issue back in January/February. I can't imagine that the higher summer humidity is helping, though.

Last edited by Phoenix864 on Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But why in the bottom caps?
mdarnton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gravity?
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, because of gravity that's where some excess oil or water will end up. I don't think it's a sign of a problem, other than maybe, for some reason that liquid is not dripping out of the vent holes.

The valve extending into the area below the friction surface (interior casing) - could be nothing, could be that the downstoke bumper is too thin, or non-OEM finger buttons/top caps put on, allowing the valve to travel a bit too far.

Take the bottome caps off, wipe them out, replace... no problem
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Trumpetown

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to trumpets, but is it possible that the valve oil and slide grease you're using is just a bad combination?

I remember seeing in a YouTube video that sometimes the valve oil and slide grease just don't jive with each other.

In the same video, he mentioned that sometimes a players particular saliva doesn't jive with the oil or grease either.

I'd be tempted to clean the entire horn and switch slide grease.

Just my .02 cents.
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the suggestions.

zaferis wrote:
Yes, because of gravity that's where some excess oil or water will end up. I don't think it's a sign of a problem, other than maybe, for some reason that liquid is not dripping out of the vent holes.

The valve extending into the area below the friction surface (interior casing) - could be nothing, could be that the downstoke bumper is too thin, or non-OEM finger buttons/top caps put on, allowing the valve to travel a bit too far.

Take the bottom caps off, wipe them out, replace... no problem

Fair enough - I'll just get in the habit of emptying the caps occasionally. The vent holes on the caps have a lip around them on the inside, which hinders the ability of liquids to get out. The horn is using OEM fingerbuttons, pads, and caps, so I don't think they are causing the issue.

Trumpetown wrote:
I'm new to trumpets, but is it possible that the valve oil and slide grease you're using is just a bad combination?

I remember seeing in a YouTube video that sometimes the valve oil and slide grease just don't jive with each other.

In the same video, he mentioned that sometimes a players particular saliva doesn't jive with the oil or grease either.

I'd be tempted to clean the entire horn and switch slide grease.

Just my .02 cents.

I've used both Hetman and UltraPure (both with their respective slide greases), so I'm pretty sure it's not related to the grease/oil. I've also used both on other horns without issue.
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix864 - I have that buildup when playing any of my horns. I live in South Louisiana, so humidity is a constant here and probably contributes to this condition. It’s is strange how the oil clings to the bottom of the valves. I would think with fast valve action, most of the oil/water would be removed by gravity. Like stated, when done playing, take a few minutes to remove the valves, wipe them off with a lint free rag or wipe. Then oil liberally. I also remove the bottom caps and wipe them as well. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Ron
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's bilge water. Selmer Paris bottom caps have no corners and are easy to clean. The downside is that bilge water drips immediately onto your leg rather building up in the cap.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdarnton wrote:
Gravity?

That's smart. Maybe you have to look inside a trumpet. If you unscrew the top valve cap, you can take out the valve. After that, look inside the valve casing and you can see at the other end the bottom cap. So if gravity is the cause it's a necessity that the valve oil and the water have passed the valve. Just one more thought and the conclusion must be that the valve allowed the oil and the water to pass.
If condensation is the cause the liquid will be in the third valve slide, that's where the leadpipe enters. And that's the reason the third valve slide has a spit valve. BTW on a rotary trumpet it's different, the leadpipe enters the first valve and therefor it's the first valve slide that has the spit valve. That must do together with the spit valve on the tuning slide for 95% of the inside liquid. If you take off after playing the first and second slide you will seldom see substantial liquid in them, maybe just a little bit in the first one.

I own 5 trumpets and 6 cornets (sold some cornets) and a flügel (I had two more one time) and the only horn(s) that collect oil and water in the bottom caps are a Selmer trumpet with worn valves and two Conn cornets with traditional loose valves.
Disclaimer, it may be different in very weird circumstances, I never played a horn in north Siberia or the Taklaman desert.

NB Bilge water is a term from the (cruise) ships I thought and all bilge water comes from above.

NB2. New horns are sometimes made with too loose valves.
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would point my finger at wide tolerance in the valve to casing gap coupled with using a pure oil with low cling, coupled with being a thinned oil due to higher ambient temperatures.

Valves that drink oil are often a combination of wide tolerances and thin oil.

Not all oils are the same, oils are complex they are viscous and they also cling to surfaces a thin oil with low cling will drop down the casing swiftly and in hot temperatures the oil is thinner and this happens more quickly.

I would suggest that maybe the buildup in the bottom cap is noticeable due to pointing the instrument down during play so it cannot run out of the hole.

If the horn plays well I would ignore this
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some new valves are fit loosely enough where you'll get water/oil dripping out the bottom. In addition to emptying the keys I give my horn a downward shake to get excess water out of the casings. Faster when you're in practice/performance mode.
https://yourbrass.com/
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Leaks at bottom caps Reply with quote

My wife got very good at removing stains on my white shirts from whatever came out the bottom caps knowing I played new horns. A fellow I knew here in Las Vegas invented the "Grime Gutter", a polyethylene cover that had a felt inside fitting over all three valve bottom caps. Bach offered that as an accessory for many years selling a bunch to marching bands keeping the costly uniforms free of residue. My experience with them was a slowing down of the valve action so I stopped using them.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
GrowlerBox
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix864 wrote:

I've used both Hetman and UltraPure (both with their respective slide greases), so I'm pretty sure it's not related to the grease/oil. I've also used both on other horns without issue.

For whatever reason, Monster Oil would accumulate like this, but La Tromba T2 does not. For me, my trumpet, where I am. Go figure.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrowlerBox wrote:
Phoenix864 wrote:

For whatever reason, Monster Oil would accumulate like this, but La Tromba T2 does not. For me, my trumpet, where I am. Go figure.

I use Monster for all my horns and noticed this, also. I just reduced the amount of oil (5-6 drops, tops now) and made sure the bottom caps were very snug. No issues since.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: