• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Practice during lockdown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Practice during lockdown Reply with quote

Hi folks

What has everyone been practicing to stay in shape during lockdown?
Please share your routine?

Hope you're all well and healthy

Best
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Practice during lockdown Reply with quote

BBB1976 wrote:
Hi folks

What has everyone been practicing to stay in shape during lockdown?
Please share your routine?

Hope you're all well and healthy

Best

I´ve used this sad opportunity to reconsider - experiment a little, tweak on what can be tweaked. Has resultated in expanding my range a bit.
With what have I done it??
0)Caruso six notes
1)Laurie Frink Integrated Warm Up - finally all sections in one day
2)TOL (tongue on lips BE way) C-G top of staff (quaver/ semiquaver/double tongue/triple tongue
3)RO 1/RI1 - RO2/RI2 - RO3/RI3 etc the BE way. RI:s beginning on high C (or D/E)
4)Technical passages on (mostly) brassband stuff.
5) Timing etc bigband stuff.
6) if time enough - Colins lipflexibilities though I turn them upside down thereby making them more progressive. Meaning I begin with 123 then up to 0.

On good days everything above - if too little time Caruso/Frink 1/At least BE RO1/RI 1. The RI:s are just formidable when it comes to gain endurance besides all the other benefits. Always playing them right after RO:s.
Eagerly waiting for the show to go on.
But I have to admit that lately my enthusiasm has waned a bit. Every summer as long as I can remember I´ve taken a fortnight´s break. Gives me opportunity to reconsider, evaluate pros and cons during the year. Also good for my mental health. I think. Practicing like a madman year out year in never contemplating? Nope.

Oh - and always with a metronome 80 bpm.'

And, I have to add: since all concerts/gigs have been cancelled(meaning not demanding continous readiness) I´ve had the opportunity to observe how the state off my chops varies with the amount of input. After a week of continuous practice I had no problems practicing 1- 6. However, even if I still had the ability to start the BE RI:s o high C (or higher) - after some days with more occasional practice - I could notice a declining endurance. Indeed, the state of one´s lips is perishable.....garbage in garbage out.
Gotta use that madman lurking down deep........
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:10 am; edited 3 times in total
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to change from the usual method books and am currently using Eric Bolvins stuff for all of my routine, i start with Progressive warm ups, then Flex on the move and The Clarke variations.

I finish with some things from CG, Systematic approach for range or daily trumpet routines for intervals.

Its just freshened things up for me in these tough times

Stay safe

EricV
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't changed my routine much. Still doing fundamentals, and still preparing music as if I will be performing it, even though that seems increasingly distant on the horizon.

For my fundamentals, I do some exercises from Caruso and Stamp, along with flexibility studies (currently Belck), lip bends (currently Hickman), technical studies (currently Vizzutti), single, k and multiple tonguing...

I also play etudes (currently Balsanyan) and music that I am preparing for performances, whenever they happen....
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't changed a thing. I practice in my basement, no matter what's going on outside.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing lots of Arbans lip slurs as fast as possible every day. Doing a full Charlier each day. Transcribing a lot and practicing those transcriptions. And going outside and just playing whatever comes to mind.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I printed Tom Hooten's spread sheets back in April and I'm on to my third month of logging practice in this way. I've charted out a routine that varies day to day. I do my best to balance the following:

Breathing/meditation, Leadpipe, The Buzzing Book, Chicowicz Longtones, Clarke 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7, Flexus, Arban's, Brandt Etudes, Snedecor Etudes, Sight Reading, Improvisation, High Melody, Low Melody, Transcription, and Active Listening.

I don't do everything every day but the chart allows me space to balance the variety.
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockdown schmockdown

Practiced my repertoire as usual but consolidated my playlist down from 44 to 20 solid pieces played in around 500 individual open air performances over the last 5 months.

Performance for a live audience in my view keeps you sharp.

Like today 5 hours practice and 7 performances.

Later today I consolidated my playlist down to just 10 in my set for an upcoming solo stage performance, details to be decided.

There is not enough time in the day as usual. If you are not swimming you are sinking.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been concentrating on playing natural trumpet. I was pretty much doing that before too. I work on stuff on the modern horn as demands require.

I have taken the time to work on a new historic mouthpiece for the natural trumpet, try to refine my sound and adjust to the larger heavier piece, which yields a more sonorous tone. It was a big adjustment but is now paying off. Only downside is that it makes the natural trumpet less like the modern horn.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watch Jim Wilt's daily posts. jw
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
Lockdown schmockdown

Practiced my repertoire as usual but consolidated my playlist down from 44 to 20 solid pieces played in around 500 individual open air performances over the last 5 months.

So....500 gigs in the last five months (during a time when tons of gigs are being cancelled), which would be an average of 3.3 gigs per day, seven days per week?

Am I misunderstanding something here?

Brad
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 158 of at least 1 hour of daily practice (most often 2+ hours). I am a full-time Caregiver for my Wife.

Warm-up based on Bai Lin Lip Flexibilities (about 45 minutes). Every day!
Josh Rogan Scales Boot Camp(at least 2 times per week).
Williams Secret of Technique Preservation (time challenged days).
Charley Davis A Tribute to William Adam (on days when time is plentiful).
Chord Studies (old school Raymond Kotwica/Joseph Viola book)!!!
Solo Performance prep (my choices; video and critique).
Warm Down (long, slow, low, ppp) this at end of every session!!!

Glad that I've been solo prepping! Got a call a few days ago from my Church to play Prelude for 2 regular streaming Sunday Services (1 Internationally televised) during the next week and 1 streaming Evening Service in early August. The last time that I did this was in late January and again in early February, extremely happy to get the call! Keeping a book of ready Solos for my Church is always a good idea!
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long tones
Stamp
Bends
Basic Caruso
Collins flexibilities (one of the three chapters every day)
Pat Harbison modern technical studies(one chord every day)
Pops and Bix solos

This it was my every day practice in the lockdown period (2.5 months) , with plenty of breaks I need 3 to 3.5 hours and it was very fun for me because usually I dont have that time for practice.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs

Last edited by giakara on Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: