• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 184G vs Conn 36A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Bach 184G vs Conn 36A Reply with quote

Anyone ever have a horn that he/she loved to play despite being inferior to another horn with respect to ease of playing, tone quality, etc?

Such it is with my 1950 36A. The 36A of course is no "chore" to play. Its pretty much mint. The Gentleman who owned it played it as a kid, and then discontinued it (I am guessing in a short time). He passed on. His daughter indicated that periodically over many years he got it out once in a while and possibly played it but more likely just gave it some TLC.

nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate for sure, definitely on cornets. I play a ‘51 NY Strad Cornet (closer to a 181 than a 184), but I have a soft spot for my Conn 80A.

Now these are totally different horns, but even before getting the Conn fixed I knew there was something special about it. The Bach is superior in almost every way, but there’s some reason I keep playing it.
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play trumpet.

When I was learning so long ago I purchased a used and abused 80a simply because Bix played one.

The very first time as a raw beginner that I played a couple of notes on this battered old 80a my eldest son who was in the room exclaimed WOW.

This instrument truly can take a pathetic creature and make him sound great.

I had the 80a refurbished and it looks and plays gorgeous.

I took it out today and I am used to audience appreciation when I play trumpet but what I got today was adulation and massive appreciation as always this horn delivers.

My trumpets play easily and my range is adequate on them and my tone is satisfactory. The conn is awkward to play on and is demanding of correct technique with the appropriate vintage mouthpieces I use on it, but what a tone.

I played Davenport Blues several times today on the 80a that Bix played it on and maybe composed it on, to honor Bix.

It always feels like an honor to own and play the 80a and in doing so I feel I pay my dues to all the magnificent musicians who came before me and I treasure every moment.

The 80a is a symbol to me of the great heritage of Bix Red and the other cornettists who broke new ground and gave us so much.

We modern players stand on the shoulders of giants.

I feel that if I do not play the 80a I lose touch with the roots of blues.

This instrument and Bix and the Davenport blues will always have a place in my heart, and Almost Blue does sound great on it too.

I think Chet would approve.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It always feels like an honor to own and play the 80a and in doing so I feel I pay my dues to all the magnificent musicians who came before me and I treasure every moment.

The 80a is a symbol to me of the great heritage of Bix Red and the other cornettists who broke new ground and gave us so much.

We modern players stand on the shoulders of giants.

I feel that if I do not play the 80a I lose touch with the roots of blues.

Touching my soul with this comment. Thanks.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: