• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Nu-Rim?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brass Monkey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was rummaging through an old trumpet case that belonged to my brother-in-law, and found a "Nu-Rim D" mouthpiece. It has a very fat rim, like that on my Bach 7DW. Has anybody heard of these mouthpieces before?
darksmoke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is 18 years later, but I recently bought one online of the exact same model ("D") and have turned up nothing in trying to research it. Unless anyone has any specific information or special sources, I doubt there will be any mention of it anywhere. That said, I suppose it's rather rare to say the least and the only thing the seller could say was that it was 'probably manufactured sometime in the 40s-50s'.
-Callet SC6
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was musing on the idea that NU might be NY and it might just be a Greg Black NY 4 rim cut and threaded on an older mouthpiece body.. But that idea only works if the mouthpiece from the 2002 poster is the same mouthpiece that you just happened to purchase. Ah well ...
darksmoke

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some pics for future record I finally got around to taking
(I'm assuming the rest of the shank was also gold plated at one point since there's wear, not sure about the inside cup though):

** If anyone can help me, this MP has a very different shank taper and fits neither of my trumpets. It's so slim that it reaches all the way in and touches the venturi of the leadpipe where it can't move in any further to lock in, allowing it to jostle around. Would a sleeve solve this? Or would getting a matching trumpet be the only option?
My guess would be it's possibly European (which accounts for the rarity).

-Callet SC6
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a bit like a Rudy Muck.

I don't think the wide rim Bachs are this wide.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Looks a bit like a Rudy Muck.

I don't think the wide rim Bachs are this wide.

That's the first thing that came to my mind, too.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
dmr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm seeing shadows, but on some pics it almost looks like a two-piece / screw-in backbore setup. Is that the case or just the way the pics look? Even if it doesn't come apart, looking through the throat for a line where the pieces join might be another tip-off...
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is still a manufacturer of mouthpieces with the name NU (though not for trumpet) but I don't think it's the same.

https://www.numouthpieces.com/

The length of your mp suggests trumpet, the slim shank one for cornet. Did you try it on a cornet? In the old days you never know.
BTW I support the two-piece suggestion.
Johnny-Highnote
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that didgi mpc on tuba sounds cool waiting to get something alike for trumpet or flugel...

38b "Frankenconn" with Bauerfeind Valve block/ Yamaha 6345G /Yamaha 631/Courtois 154G / Curry+Klier 1,5 mpc`s
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
There is still a manufacturer of mouthpieces with the name NU (though not for trumpet) but I don't think it's the same.

https://www.numouthpieces.com/

The length of your mp suggests trumpet, the slim shank one for cornet. Did you try it on a cornet? In the old days you never know.
BTW I support the two-piece suggestion.

"Hand-crafted didgeridoo mouthpieces for trombone, euphonium, tuba, and bari sax"
...didgeridoo,...but not trumpet. I'm feeling slighted.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
darksmoke

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys have got some great intuition! I see the shadowed area in the images and after trying a few varying methods of (safely) unscrewing and disassembling what I was convinced was two parts- nothing happens, not even the slightest move in any direction. I took a strong flashlight to the inside and did indeed find a small, slim circle of black space that wouldn't illuminate compared to the rest of the shank exactly near where the cup would have ended and connected to it (and thereby only furthering my fall into trying to figure out how to break them up).

Only a little while ago did I finally take a small handheld microscope and view the outside cup/ shank dividing line from the pics. From about 6 minutes of inspection going around and around surveying the seam, it appears that it is actually one solid piece of metal and, unfortunately, inseparable by natural means. The seam viewable from the inside of the MP I could see and the "moat" you guys witnessed from the outside, I would assume, is how the company assembled the two different pieces and produced their MPs at the time. Possibly soldered in place with small tools/ machines or one piece melted beforehand and left to cool down and combine at the seam once in place ??

Anyway, sorry for the long update on this trivial thing for those interested. I'll get back if one day it does stop pretending to be a regular mouthpiece. And it also does not work on my cornet, maybe a long cornet however..

P.S. I wonder what those custom NU pieces with a plunger/ pixie combo would sound like in the future if someone can find a maker to produce one for them. Probably work much better with a flugel otherwise
-Callet SC6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: