• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hello from newbie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BandTeacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Hello from newbie Reply with quote

Hi everyone. This is my first post.

Old timer, public school music teacher. Did my undergrad at New England Conservatory back in the mid 80s, studied with Andre Come for first 2 yrs, then Robert Nagel for last 2. Honestly, not really a hard core trumpet guy by a long shot. Spent most of the last 30 + years learning to play and teach all of the OTHER instruments my job required, plus raising a family etc. Not to mention a few non musical hobbies and interests that competed for my time and attention.

The past year or two, as age has given me a bit more free time, I'm trying to get back into the trumpet thing. For example, I just started playing piccolo (or at least trying) about 6 months ago, at 54 years old! Just something I never got to, I played lots of C and even D/Eb, I just never took that last step. Very interesting story why and how this finally came about, but it's long so I'll save it for another time.

I'm looking forward to hanging out here a bit, and gleaning what I can. I just wanted to start by saying "Hello!"
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Sounds like you are off to a great start and having fun. The latter is really important. I look forward to hearing your adventures with the piccolo trumpet.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi BT

welcome to TH. i look forward to seeing you around.

ron
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings to you
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Lots of great knowledgeable musicians and tech on this forum.
Enjoy!
Ron
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there and welcome!
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend you start by learning to read music
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Hello from newbie Reply with quote

BandTeacher wrote:
Hi everyone. This is my first post.

Old timer, public school music teacher. Did my undergrad at New England Conservatory back in the mid 80s, studied with Andre Come for first 2 yrs, then Robert Nagel for last 2. Honestly, not really a hard core trumpet guy by a long shot. Spent most of the last 30 + years learning to play and teach all of the OTHER instruments my job required, plus raising a family etc. Not to mention a few non musical hobbies and interests that competed for my time and attention.

The past year or two, as age has given me a bit more free time, I'm trying to get back into the trumpet thing. For example, I just started playing piccolo (or at least trying) about 6 months ago, at 54 years old! Just something I never got to, I played lots of C and even D/Eb, I just never took that last step. Very interesting story why and how this finally came about, but it's long so I'll save it for another time.

I'm looking forward to hanging out here a bit, and gleaning what I can. I just wanted to start by saying "Hello!"

Nagle published some very tricky finger studies for trumpet. The register wasn't high and there weren't any serious physical demands, but the series of notes played a head trip on av fellow. Even our best sight readers going to music college couldn't play it through without plenty of practice.

Each four note series of sixteenth notes usually returned to an atonal note. Something completely unexpected. They really kept a guy on his toes. The exercises made the Clarke Technical studies seem easy.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
WildWilly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum from an old old timer. (75) I love it when you teenagers refer to yourselves as an old timer . . . .
Gretsch Pathfinder
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: