• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Exchange of Ideas in Pedagogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabroni
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Exchange of Ideas in Pedagogy Reply with quote

Good day everyone,

I dont usually post on this site however the subject I would like to discuss is important and crucial in my opinion.
Recently on social media I was observing a topic of discussion on a the Bill Adam page. The subject matter revolved around an individual who was doing routine daily diligence, but was getting fatigued and having his chops beaten. Several individuals gave their commentary on how this person may go about improving and seemed to be very helpful. A well respected trumpet player then gave his opinion which incorporated aspects not only from the Adam Routine, but from many methods that he has used successfully to build his own playing. The post was friendly, helpful and in no way took anything away from the topic. This post was deleted almost immediately by the moderator. I noticed this and politely asked why were these recent comments deleted? Soon after my comments were deleted. I found this to be somewhat confusing as the moderator is a well respected professor at a University, where I believe free thought and the exchange of ideas is paramount. We as artists and musicians should be the example of listening to one another and improving through diverse thought.
seilogramp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a moderator on another large tech-related forum. Can't speak to the specifics of why the original post was deleted, but I can only assume it was in some sort of violation of the agreed upon terms. If it wasn't, it could be anything, even a mistake. Also, if a post is deleted and someone else complains about it, that post also gets moderated and/or deleted. Sort of like questioning the umpire's decision, even if it's clearly wrong. In most cases I'll send a private message to the poster just to let them know why their post was deleted or moderated.

If there is a way you can send a private message to the moderator of the Bill Adam forum, that might help clear things up.
1972 Getzen Eterna 900S

Last edited by seilogramp on Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jabroni
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Unfortunately Reply with quote

Thanks for your response,

Unfortunately it was not a mistake and no terms were violated. In addition my comments asking why the other comments were removed, were also deleted
seilogramp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I would try to PM the moderator.
1972 Getzen Eterna 900S
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the same thing when the views are not totally supportive of the primary method. Anything not in line with that method or questions that method or really anything other than that method is erased. Seen it here. Some people are very protective of their moderated topic.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years I have really come to appreciate the moderators of the dedicated forums working diligently to keep information in those forums consistent with the teachings of whoever the forum is dedicated to.

I've always found each of them to be patient with questions and helpful. From my perspective, there are already 3 open "pedagogy" forums (pedagogy, high note, fundamentals) where people put up whatever mishmash of information strikes their fancy, and they do. A lot.

This has been a point of contention for a long time on this site, and I understand the other side of the coin pretty well. But, from where I sit, I would like to thank Pat, Kyle, Rich, Don, Jeff, Dave, and any other dedicated forum moderators for their work preserving the information of their pedagogical lineage. I have found the forums to be an invaluable resource over the years, because I know what I read there is as true to the lineage as they can manage.

We have the rest of the internet for the other stuff.

Kevin

Bruno Walter
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That facebook group (like the ddicated forums here on TH) is dedicated to one specific approach to playing, teaching, and learning. Outside viewpoints might not be helpful in such a setting. If someone posts something contrary to the philosophy and approach in one of the dedicated forums I moderate here, I will suggest that that is not welcome in this particular forum because it is at odds with the approach under consideration.

This would even be true in my trying to keep my own posts in the Adam and Caruso forums sorted and philosophically "pure."

However, a similar post in an open forum would be a different matter.

This doesn't seem like it should be hard to comprehend.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
Avan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
I've seen the same thing when the views are not totally supportive of the primary method. Anything not in line with that method or questions that method or really anything other than that method is erased. Seen it here. Some people are very protective of their moderated topic.

This is pisser.........

" Man Without an Audience "
Album Release - 2017
" Mi Vida es Una Cancion "
Album release - 2022

USAF 1974-1980 E-4
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avan wrote:
Richard III wrote:

This is pisser.........

That's what the open forums are for.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: