• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How do you like to practice breathing?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beagle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: How do you like to practice breathing? Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
kevin_soda wrote:
Whether it's meditation, yoga, Breathing Gym, breathing bags, Air Trainer, Sandovalves, or countless other options to approach breathing practice. What do you like to do and what do you find works the best? What quirky products have been effective in your practice?

Learned to do it in school and it is so ingrained I don't even think of it. Helps that I have super-efficient horns that only need a whisper to play.

Tom

You learned to do it in school? I was somewhat of a prodigy in this regard and was doing it regularly before I started school, and I have it on good authority from my mother that I even breathed while still a baby.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: How do you like to practice breathing? Reply with quote

beagle wrote:
You learned to do it in school? I was somewhat of a prodigy in this regard and was doing it regularly before I started school, and I have it on good authority from my mother that I even breathed while still a baby.

You guys're lucky! I only learned to breathe properly when playing when I stopped trying to breathe properly, and just breathed...

Gotta be envious of those child prodigy's...
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to consider about active breathing exercises for all the naysayers out there:

We humans hold stress and tension in the body whether we play trumpet or not. Stress and tension effects our breathing. Practicing active breathing can help us unlock the breath. The purpose of my OP is to hear how people enjoy or enhance this process.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
Something to consider about active breathing exercises for all the naysayers out there:

We humans hold stress and tension in the body whether we play trumpet or not. Stress and tension effects our breathing. Practicing active breathing can help us unlock the breath. The purpose of my OP is to hear how people enjoy or enhance this process.
Yeah, this is a really good point. Your body is capable of doing its jobs better when you do things like stretching, or weight lifting, or breathing exercises. I'm not advocating that when you play trumpet you need to be taking enormous breaths all the time (sometimes you do) or that breathing is the answer to all of your problems. But just because you can breathe does not mean you are using your air, or body, to their full potential. For me, daily yoga practice gets my body right and improves my breathing.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:

There's some truth in that. It may have not been clear through my 'joke', but to achieve this (for me personally at least), I had to stop focusing on my breathing and let my body handle it 'automatically' as it were. Before that, I was very actively trying to breathe properly and that led to a lot of tension in my body. These days, I can notice that my breathing is 'too high' when I'm stressed out but to me, the answer lies in relaxing first and my breath will follow, not the other way around (as is common for a lot of people).
joey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As some have already pointed out, breathing is something that we, as humans, are generally pretty good at. Trumpet players, as we do with many things, have tried to turn breathing into some great mystery that we need to solve.

As I've said many times in many lessons and masterclasses:

Breathing is so easy babies do it in their sleep.

Unless there is some underlying problem that someone has, there is no real need to practice breathing away from the horn. You're already breathing...or you'd be dead.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joey wrote:
As some have already pointed out, breathing is something that we, as humans, are generally pretty good at. Trumpet players, as we do with many things, have tried to turn breathing into some great mystery that we need to solve.

Unless there is some underlying problem that someone has, there is no real need to practice breathing away from the horn. You're already breathing...or you'd be dead.

I don't want to make assumptions but I'm guessing some of your physical traits may have changed since you were a baby.

Last edited by kevin_soda on Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joey wrote:

Breathing is easy, but a lot of players have problems with it when applied to trumpet playing. What do you do with students that get very tense, bulging neck, start almost hyperventilating because they are stacking air, shoulders rising, missing notes, etc you know, the stuff trumpet players do? Isn't breathing shallow and getting tense from the chest up the main culprit for a lot of bad trumpet playing?
joey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things to mention at this point:

1) My physical traits have changed quite a bit since birth, but I haven't had to relearn how to walk or talk since I learned them initially. Breathing is no different.

2) When trumpet players have problems "with it when applied to trumpet playing"- that's proving my point.

Since you asked what I do, I'll tell you. I simplify. Let me make this as clear as I can: breathing is simple. Breathing is easy. There is no need to make it difficult or complicated to play the trumpet. You already know how to breathe.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: How do you like to practice breathing? Reply with quote

beagle wrote:
VetPsychWars wrote:
kevin_soda wrote:
Whether it's meditation, yoga, Breathing Gym, breathing bags, Air Trainer, Sandovalves, or countless other options to approach breathing practice. What do you like to do and what do you find works the best? What quirky products have been effective in your practice?

Learned to do it in school and it is so ingrained I don't even think of it. Helps that I have super-efficient horns that only need a whisper to play.

Tom

Within the context of trumpet playing, which is what I assumed the original question is about? Obviously I have been breathing since birth.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joey wrote:

Since you asked what I do, I'll tell you. I simplify. Let me make this as clear as I can: breathing is simple. Breathing is easy. There is no need to make it difficult or complicated to play the trumpet. You already know how to breathe.

I'm with you on that. You can tell a person who is trying too hard and then you need the relax metaphors like "let the air just fall into the horn out of your lungs".

But trumpet playing seems to be more of a zen thing than anything else... when you let go, you do so much better.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joey wrote:

1) My physical traits have changed quite a bit since birth, but I haven't had to relearn how to walk or talk since I learned them initially. Breathing is no different.

2) When trumpet players have problems "with it when applied to trumpet playing"- that's proving my point.

Thanks for explaining again. With all due respect, Mr. Tartell, there are probably just as many accomplished professionals and educators that believe working on breathing can help as those who don't. This thread was started specifically to hear the perspectives of the former. It's fine that your experience and teaching are different. We're trying to have a different conversation. Thanks again and best wishes.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
joey wrote:

Thanks for explaining again. With all due respect, Mr. Tartell, there are probably just as many accomplished professionals and educators that believe working on breathing can help as those who don't. This thread was started specifically to hear the perspectives of the former. It's fine that your experience and teaching are different. We're trying to have a different conversation. Thanks again and best wishes.
To be fair, I asked the question and he responded. Sorry if I took your thread off course!
deleted_user_48e5f31

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by dfcoleman

Last edited by deleted_user_48e5f31 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having taken lessons from an ex C Gordon student for a number of years, i use Claudes walking/breathing excercises.

Most days i walk between 3-5 kms a day (about 30-40 mins) and these excercises give my blowing muscles in the lower back a good workout and fit in well with my walking. The book Brass Playing is no Harder than Deep Breathing details how to do them and i think there is an article on Jeff Purtles web site about them.

Take a look.

Cheers

EricV
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joey wrote:

No one likes this answer because it is too simple
Grayman470

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Billy B"]
joey wrote:

Doing is not doing, just like in the ancient art of archery as described by zen masters. The best archers fulfill their draw of the bow naturally. Good trumpeters should do something similar when breathing. What you said makes sense from a pedagogical standpoint of mastery, why do anything complicated to such a natural process that we already know how to do. I agree with you. Saying it that simply is good, but having that mentality is easier said than done when applied.
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a yawn and stretch much like when I wake up in the morning. I then test the resistance of the trumpet. To me its not about blowing air into the trumpet, its more about energizing the air that is already inside the instrument. I like the lazy way of practicing.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grayman470 wrote:
Saying it that simply is good, but having that mentality is easier said than done when applied.

Agreed. I had this particular issue, where I focused so much on breathing properly that I locked my muscles and my air. What helped me was focusing on something else entirely. William Adam instructs to mentally focus on the sound you want to make, not your body. That really helped me.

When you tell someone not to think of a pink elephant, that's likely the first thing they think about. But if you tell them to count the number of taxis driving by on a television screen, chances are high they'll never notice there's also a gorilla on a bike in the background.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
Grayman470 wrote:
Saying it that simply is good, but having that mentality is easier said than done when applied.

Agreed. I had this particular issue, where I focused so much on breathing properly that I locked my muscles and my air. What helped me was focusing on something else entirely. William Adam instructs to mentally focus on the sound you want to make, not your body. That really helped me.

When you tell someone not to think of a pink elephant, that's likely the first thing they think about. But if you tell them to count the number of taxis driving by on a television screen, chances are high they'll never notice there's also a gorilla on a bike in the background.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: