• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Donated rare (?) piccolo to the BSO long but good story

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BandTeacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:01 am    Post subject: Donated rare (?) piccolo to the BSO long but good story Reply with quote

This is a little long, I apologize. But I think you might like the story.

My old high school band director/trumpet teacher was probably the biggest inspiration of my life. He lit the fire, made me LOVE playing the trumpet, etc. He was the reason I became a music teacher. He had gone to New England Conservatory (and was the reason I went to NEC), studied with Roger Voisin, and played as a very active freelancer in Boston back in the 60s. He really was quite good, he was on track to very likely get a position in the BSO (was already subbing with them, Pops, etc. quite a bit.) But it was not to be. Due to the death of his father and various other family issues, he returned to the Albany area in the late 60s and lived out his life here, which was fortunate for me since otherwise he never would have come into my life.

Anyhow, I remained close to him all his life, even visiting him in various nursing homes for the last 5 years or so. He never married or had children of his own, so I guess maybe he looked at me as sort of the son he never had. Well, he passed away this past January. I was shocked beyond belief when his family told me that he had said to them that, when the day came and he was no longer with us he wanted me to have his trumpets! So I ended up inheriting NINE trumpets, including 3 Bach Strad Cs, a Bach Strad Bb, a Yamaha D, a Selmer 4 valve picc, and a few other various horns. One of those others is the subject of this story.

Here are pictures of the horn in question. It is a Milliens piccolo, serial number ONE

The story, as he related it to me, was this. Apparently back in the 60s, Roger Voisin gave input to the Milliens company regarding the design of this horn. The company sent him the first two instruments produced for his evaluation/opinion. Apparently Roger preferred number two just a bit more, so he kept that one, and my teacher had the chance to buy number one. He played this horn until he replaced it with the 4 valve Selmer I mentioned above. In fact, his obituary photo was his old "professional shot" of him in a tux, holding this trumpet (and looking about 25!) Anyhow, a few years ago, he said that he wished there was some way of donating the horn to the BSO due to the connection with Roger, etc. At the time, my son was attending BC and I offered to look into it, as I was going to Boston probably 5-6 times a year anyway. He sort of waffled, so we never did anything.

After the trumpet passed to me, I figured I should at least make an attempt. I called the BSO Donations office, really not knowing what to expect. A very nice young girl listened to the story and said it was the greatest story she ever heard. She said to be patient and she would pass it on to the Archives department. I subsequently got an email from them asking me to call them. I talked to another woman who said the orchestra would love to have the horn. This was in February. She suggested my wife and I come out, see a concert as their guest, and deliver the trumpet. I thought this sounded great, so I agreed. This was all set for my April break, but then the Covid shutdown hit, so we postponed. As things went on, I didn't see a return to normal anytime soon and I started to get antsy. I just really wanted a sense of closure on this. So I contacted the woman in the Archives again, and set up an appointment for yesterday. I drove to Boston, went to Symphony Hall, and presented them with the trumpet.

I feel like I did something good yesterday, and paid back a tiny bit of the debt I'll never be able to repay to the memory of the man who is the reason I am what I am today.

Sorry this was so long. I'm told I talk a bit too much...
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool story.

Because it held my interest all the way through, I'd say the length was fine.

Thanks for sharing.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story of both your teacher and your generosity. Thanks for sharing. Not to long. We need more stories like this in these times of me, me, me.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Donated rare (?) piccolo to the BSO long but good story Reply with quote

BandTeacher wrote:
This is a little long, I apologize. But I think you might like the story..........................................................................................................................Sorry this was so long. I'm told I talk a bit too much...

Dear Band Teacher - I just loved reading your story - not at all too long instead focussed, touching. Life has its mysterious turns! Thanks!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great story, thank you for sharing!!
kramergfy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you did the right thing, that is a really touching gesture. Thanks for sharing.

Thread killer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: