• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Haven't played regularly since early 1990's!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WalkGood

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Haven't played regularly since early 1990's!!! Reply with quote

Started in 1975 in junior high. Moved to new school where they all started in 3rd grade! After a year of being far behind, parents got me lessons during Summer. Was first chair by 11th grade. Actually had half scholarship for music in University. Changed careers, but still played regularly in adult theater pit orchestras. Then stopped cold turkey in 1992!!!

Once a year or so, I pick it up for fun but quickly reminded my lips cannot play for more than 5 minutes.

Today was such a day. Valves needed oil. My supply is almost empty. Looked online for my favorite oil from back in the day "Slick Stuff". Not finding it. Now there are synthetic oils? Whaaaaat? Found this website forum with a survey of favorite oils from 2008. Then saw THIS forum for Comeback Players. Thinking maybe I'll start playing again.

Anywho...... what oil should I buy?

My horn is a Bach Strad from 1978!
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

La Tromba T2 Special, that's the best, but....

75 other suggestions will follow
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good luck with Five Starr, Hetman, Monster, Ultra Pure....Perhaps as important is which "weight" as each of those oils comes in different weights. If your valves are tight then regular or light/fast; if they are looser, then the heavier weight.

[Edit: Also good luck with Denis Wick, Getzen/Edwards, La Tromba T2, Spacefiller....Plenty of good options. If you are in doubt, pick two and give them a try. Make sure you thoroughly clean the valves before switching from one to another.]

Welcome back to trumpet playing!

Last edited by Dayton on Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some say it depends on the horn, kind of valves, etc. I have had good luck with Hetman #1, which I use on most of my trumpets with tighter valve clearances. Also with La Tromba T2 which was recommended for my flugel. Used Yamaha synthetic for years on a Yamaha horn with great results.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I vaguely remember "Slick Stuff."

Before you change or switch oils, I highly recommend cleaning the horn, or at the bare minimum, the valves and casings. Oils do not always mix well and you want whatever you are going to use to start with a clean slate, not have to work with the sludgy remains of the old.

The best 3 oils in my opinion:

- Yamaha Synthetic, comes in Light, Regular, and Vintage (heavier for older horns with worn valves). Superb in every horn I've tried it in (Yamaha, Benge, Selmer Paris, Kanstul, etc...

- Ultra Pure, works great. Yamaha is better in my Selmer, but excellent oil.

- Hetman. The venerable classic. Bit harder to find than the other two.

I used to use Al Cass Fast for decades. It didn't smell or irritate my throat and felt good on my valves. Eventually my Yamaha valves got worn to the point that it no longer functioned w/ Al Cass. Switched to Tech-Oil which was thicker and provided by my repair tech. It worked, valves were smooth, but heavy and slow. Added a little Al Cass to it and then it was workable. Haven't tried any of the above oils on the old Yamaha, but when I dust it off next, I will.

Oils that might be good (or might not), but didn't use because of the odor: 5 Starr, Lynzoil, Monster, Fat Cat. Monster seemed totally solid, for sure.

Oils that are ... eh. (or meh): Holton, Bach, generic store band oil (they're pretty much all the same)

Oils I have not used: Denis Wick, La Tromba, Brass Spa/Reeves

Oil that is terrible: Blue Juice.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Kumara999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:01 am    Post subject: Oil Reply with quote

I also have 2 thumbs up for the La Tromba T2 and T3. I have also had a lot of success on one fineky horn with the Bach Linzoil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: