• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Forum etiquette?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Forum etiquette? Reply with quote

Okay, folks, we all do it but I think we can do better. There's a thread posted about a topic that is entirely contradictory to our perspective and experience and we feel the need to chime in and change the world.

A question about mouthpiece buzzing? Never do it. A question about nose breathing? Never do it. A question about buzzing leadpipe? Never do it. A question about compression? There's no such thing as compression.

Can we all agree that if your school of thought doesn't include the topic at hand, we shouldn't respond? I mean, it's certainly our right to share contrasting opinions and experience, but if you can't relate to the question why would you answer? I'm certain you have an opinion on this topic.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum etiquette? Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
I'm certain you have an opinion on this topic.

Not really.

People just want to be heard, even if what they say is nonsense.

Are you familiar with Amazon's "Ask a question" feature on each item? The idea is that people who own the item can answer the question. For example, "are all of these hankies white?" and someone can say yes or no.

I cannot tell you how many people insist on posting, "I don't know."

Really, genius? You had to tell the ENTIRE WORLD that you're clueless?

Now, mind you, "I don't do that" is perhaps not a useful answer. I don't buzz a mouthpiece, either. But it would be useful to say why, right? "I don't buzz a mouthpiece because it has never improved my playing and I play a trumpet in performance, not a mouthpiece."

But people are going to be people, bless them, and what are you going to do?

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't think the "why we don't" is better. With mouthpiece buzzing, for example, there have been hundreds of successful trumpeters who do and probably the same number that don't. I think if someone wants to know more about utilizing that approach, it's not necessary to barge in and tell them why you choose not to. It's confusing at best.

But, you're right, what can you do? Maybe discuss it and advocate to be better neighbors in the community? I dunno, I just play trumpet.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You both make some good points. I'll try to keep them in mind next time I post.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
I dunno, I just play trumpet.

And, ultimately, that's the point, isn't it? One thing I've learned over the years is that what we do to make the noise come out is not only not under our conscious control, it's difficult or impossible to describe the things we think we do when we do it.

But sometimes it's fun to talk about.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Forum etiquette? Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
Okay, folks, we all do it but I think we can do better. There's a thread posted about a topic that is entirely contradictory to our perspective and experience and we feel the need to chime in and change the world.

A question about mouthpiece buzzing? Never do it. A question about nose breathing? Never do it. A question about buzzing leadpipe? Never do it. A question about compression? There's no such thing as compression.

Can we all agree that if your school of thought doesn't include the topic at hand, we shouldn't respond? I mean, it's certainly our right to share contrasting opinions and experience, but if you can't relate to the question why would you answer? I'm certain you have an opinion on this topic.

Rather than chastising the forum as it is and asking all members to change their behavior, why not simply ignore the posts that are contrary to your opinion?

Jeff
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum etiquette? Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
kevin_soda wrote:

That's fair. Also, have you ever seen a thread go down the rabbit hole?
Rather than chastising the forum as it is and asking all members to change their behavior, why not simply ignore the posts that are contrary to your opinion?

Jeff

GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Forum etiquette? Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
Are you familiar with Amazon's "Ask a question" feature on each item? The idea is that people who own the item can answer the question. For example, "are all of these hankies white?" and someone can say yes or no.

That's one of my biggest pet peeves. Oftentimes there is good information to be had when researching an item, but posting "I don't know" is just stupid and adds noise to the system. I'm glad it's not just me that's annoyed!
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Forum etiquette? Reply with quote

GizB wrote:
VetPsychWars wrote:

That's one of my biggest pet peeves. Oftentimes there is good information to be had when researching an item, but posting "I don't know" is just stupid and adds noise to the system. I'm glad it's not just me that's annoyed!

I think they've fixed this. The emails they send out didn't used to—but now do—offer an "I don't know" link. Clicking it does nothing, except I believe taking you to a page to the effect of "Thanks anyway". Formerly the email offered only a way to answer and many people did, even if they had no experience with the product (e.g. bought it as a gift).
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Forum etiquette? Reply with quote

ayryq wrote:
I think they've fixed this. The emails they send out didn't used to—but now do—offer an "I don't know" link. Clicking it does nothing, except I believe taking you to a page to the effect of "Thanks anyway". Formerly the email offered only a way to answer and many people did, even if they had no experience with the product (e.g. bought it as a gift).

Good to know. That explains a lot. Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: