• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Favorite Trumpet you own?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn Vintage One 1BSGP-46 (Sterling Bell)
Stomvi Master is a VERY close second...I'm waiting for a #1 leadpipe that may change that....
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....

Last edited by gregplo on Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Morrison once discussed how he occasionally attempted to zero in on one instrument to get really proficient on it...but then he "started missing the others" too much.

I love all of my horns because each one does something better than the others. I like my Bach for "legit" stuff (although it's a great all-around horn) and my Getzen cornet for cornetty stuff, and my Getzen 700 trumpet for zingy stuff, and of course the flugel and the piccolo for the stuff that they do best. Trying to decide which is the favorite horn in my collection is like asking me which of my five children I love most.

I've separated my horns into two cases and I rotate my practice--one day I play the horns in one case, the next day I play the horns in the other case. I look forward to the variety and it keeps me motivated.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a very special Eclipse built utilizing a brittania silver rimless bell made by Andy Taylor that I was absolutely sure was the best horn I would ever play. It has the most solid sound I’ve ever heard, it simply wont break up at any volume or range, and Leigh’s pros put it to the test. To date 6 or so similar horns have been built but this was the prototype and first. A magnificent horn.

The I came upon an Eclipse Large Yellow Lightweight (LYL) bell right off a new horn and added it to my hi school 66 King Silver Flair. I had this done by Osmun Music and also had a complete valve job and alignment done. The trumpet has become very precise and soars above the staff. The lighter bell has really added some zing and it has a beautiful lower octave as well. Hats off to Osmun, on all aspects of their work. This horn is the 99.9% equal of the Eclipse but is much lighter and best suited to lead.

I also have an older LeBlanc Paris wide wrap trumpet made by Courtois and a duplicate of the Delmotte Paris Opera trumpet, it’s a copper medallion trumpet and their best models had this. It’s a .468 straight thru bore, with the main tube going straight thru the valve block (straight thru the entire block) this is as the Conn Vocabel block was done with an almost identical wrap. On this horn the valves are interchangeable and all tubes exit at a 90 on the leadpipe side of the horn, the reason I explain all this is that this horn has the easiest blow on a trumpet I’ve ever experienced, and it doesn’t blow like an xl bore more like a smaller ml. The horn is absolutely in tune with itself in all registers and all valve combos, and the resistance changes when using valves isn’t noticeable. I’m going to have Leigh at Eclipse add a rimless Medium weight 5” yellow bell and a changeable leadpipe system with a round reversed main slide. I’m convinced that this horn will have all the best features I’ve found over the years (- the very expensive silver bell) and will be the best player I’ve owned. In the last 7 years I’ve been thru and sold traded about 60 horns and I’ve managed to break even with about 7 good horns and 3 I’ll donate when school starts again. The 3 I mentioned will have to be sold by My survivor. If the LeBlanc/Eclipse turns out as I think ill let ya know.
Rod
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Trumpet you own? Reply with quote

blownchops wrote:
What is your favorite horn you own and why? It does not have to be your best playing but just one you love.

My 1974 Lightweight Bach 43 Stradivarius. It's been my primary trumpet since I purchased it back in 1975. It's gotten me through high school, college, and beyond. It was refurbished by Kanstul back in 2012, getting it back to like-new condition. It's not my only Bach Stradivarius. I also have a 1947 Cornet, 1965 37 Trumpet, and 1980 CML Trumpet. The reason the 43 is my favorite horn is because it has the most memories attached to it.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite horn to noodle on is a '62 Olds Recording cornet. I met the previous owner in the parking lot of an IHOP in Chico, CA, around five years ago when I was playing at the Sierra Nevada Brewing Oktoberfest. I played his Olds Recording cornet, he played my Holton T-171 contralto trumpet, we decided we had a trade, and we went our separate ways. I liked the horn so much I played it instead of the trumpet I'd brought both days of the Oktoberfest event.

My second-favorite horn to just pick up and play is a Bach Strad V16 valve trombone. I knew the Bach catalog listed them, but I never imagined I'd actually encounter a Bach Strad valve trombone. Imagine my surprise when a trombone player I've known for over 15 years showed up with one at a big band rehearsal two or three years ago. I asked him about it and he said he was just putting it through its paces before he sold it. So I bought it. Fun horn.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Favorite horn Reply with quote

For me (and I may be biased) is the next Scodwell USA I finish. Each one is always "the one I should keep".

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite is a mid-1970s Getzen Severinsen. It is light, simple, durable, and works perfectly. It looks great, is crisply responsive across my range, and produces “my sound” readily. I think I have had four different Severinsens and one Classic across the years. I like my current Sev the best.

I have two other Bb trumpets and a couple Bb cornets. Pandemic considerations deflated my trumpet playing motivation for a couple months but I am back at it - can’t seem to stay away! I washed the three Bb trumpets recently, which prompted me to start playing again. My other two Bb trumpets are fine instruments, but it took no time at all for me to choose the Sev as I began playing again.

Jim
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite horn Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
For me (and I may be biased) is the next Scodwell USA I finish. Each one is always "the one I should keep".

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

+1
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite horn Reply with quote

If you've got it, flaunt it!

Tony Scodwell wrote:

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite Trumpet you own? Reply with quote

blownchops wrote:

What is your favorite horn you own and why?

Getzen Eterna 700s, it made me a better player

Currently I play Getzen Eterna 900 ML from the early 80's. To me this one has a -slghtly- better sound. Not as free blowing as 70's Eterna's but I like a nice resistance to lean at
Dr. Manhattan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Favorite Trumpet you own Reply with quote

Both of my LB Martin Committees.
But I am also having a ton of fun on my Olds L-12 Flugelhorn I recently picked up.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bogey Factory

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tie between my Olds Super and my LA Benge 2x. These two horns seem like cousins to me. The Olds is more stable and the Benge has more sparkle but the blow and response is very similar. I own several Olds and Benge trumpets and don't find that relationship between the other models.
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new Artisan Bb. Fantastic horn. After testing about 25 different horns extensively (including 3 other Artisans), my Artisan came out on top. There’s a very pure and special resonance to the sound that I love, and it can still blend great. Very easy to play, fantastic intonation, response, flexibility, you name it. And it does what you want it to do! Very much an all around horn.

I just got some very cool Harrelson ‘Sea’ dichrolic finger buttons to complement the already beautiful design.

Pretty much the perfect horn for me! It’s all that I want and need in a Bb.
Ozzbo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of a 50+ horn collection, my '77 Benge CG reigns supreme !!!!

Nothing like the feel, response and sound of a vintage BENGE !!!

Ozzy Cardona
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzbo wrote:
Out of a 50+ horn collection, my '77 Benge CG reigns supreme !!!!

Nothing like the feel, response and sound of a vintage BENGE !!!

Ozzy Cardona

Obviously everyone has his/her own favorite; the trumpet of my life must be my faithful old King Super 20 Symphony! Why? Out of a bunch of high quality US trumpets I chose the King because of its smooth big round sound (coupled to a Bach 1 1/4 C). The year was 1970. Fantastic valves, still going strong; used it in the bigbands, in concert bands, church solos. Perfect tuning, no compensation needed. Since then I´ve tested , to say the least, a lot of other horns, but no one ever on par.
Compared to my present (since 2 years)Yamaha 6335 RC not that open, more focussed sound - but the latter a bit more freeblowing, good for me now and a gem in itself! But the King reigns! And so many happy moments we have shared, solemn as well as swingy. Not to forget sad, as when a dear friend, once a band mate, begged me to play Fly as a bird and Come Sunday at his upcoming funeral...which I did, filled with emotions.
Our favourite horns...so many precious moments they have given us!!
Young man with a horn, middle aged man with a horn,. elderly man with.....Sometimes you could wish for a Dal Segno....before the Coda....
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogey Factory wrote:
It's a tie between my Olds Super and my LA Benge 2x. These two horns seem like cousins to me. The Olds is more stable and the Benge has more sparkle but the blow and response is very similar. I own several Olds and Benge trumpets and don't find that relationship between the other models.
Very interesting! I picked up a '47 Super just last month (my first Olds) and am having a lot of fun with it.
I also have a few Benges and find that the Burbank 5x is the closest, but yes, definitely more brilliant.
The LA 2x+ and Burbank 2x are completely different animals, both to each other and to the others.
I can't say that I have a favorite, they are all unique in their own way...but the Olds is the flavor of
the month! Also enjoying my custom Del Quadro as well- very unique indeed!
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a comeback player and for me the fun of trumpet is a mix of (1) playing, (2) being introduced to new music, and (3) the gear. I have two favorites lately, a Carol 530, which is more of a commercial style with a lot of nickel, and a new-to-me stock Bach 72. The one is light and bright and the other is darker and heavier. Going to go with the Bach for advent and probably the Carol for Easter
Dave_3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it would have to be the only trumpet I own. A Bach 190S37, 50th anniversary model. It seems like a nice trumpet to me, but then, it's the first trumpet I've played in 50 years, so what do I know.
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 Bach Strads 1 NY 1 modern 3 early Elkhardt all 37s. And my 46 committee
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Blowing through the bad blow of an old horn? Reply with quote

No horn is perfect. Some blow tight. Some blow with other restrictions mechanically. Who here believes you can just blow through a bad horn because you love the sound?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: