• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Favorite Trumpet you own?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this has already been said.

My favorite trumpet I own is the next one I buy.
Theshinytrumpet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a Thane Symphony C trumpet, and It's everything I have ever wanted in a C trumpet. Easy to play, in tune, and very versatile.
Soulo Mutes
www.rockfordtrumpetstudio.com
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite trumpet you own Reply with quote

maynard-46 wrote:
About 7 months ago I purchased the new version of the Yamaha 8310ZII in lacquer. IMO, the revisions that they made to this model were MORE than worth it! This horn does whatever I want it to and is ending up being one of the best trumpets I've ever played/owned!

Butch

Knowing how Yamaha operates they will spend the next 20 years adding revisions that are already planned.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently own 3 trumpets and a flugel.

Jupiter 1600i Bb
Brasspire Unicorn C
Yamaha 6610S Eb/D
ACB Doubler Flugel

An interesting trend here - 3 out of 4 of those came from Trent Austin and Austin Custom Brass, but I digress.

My favorite among those is probably the Yamaha Eb/D, although that's the one I probably play the least. I certainly enjoy it when I do though.

Otherwise it would have to be Jupiter 1600i - I've used it the most - been gigging it since 2015.

I did recently do an orchestral concert with the C - that was a lot of fun, but I don't have much time on that horn yet.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
Maybe this has already been said.

My favorite trumpet I own is the next one I buy.

Sadly, my favorite horn varies, but usually one I sold in the past, and somehow it has improved so much in my recollection that it was some kind of magical nexus of art and science......
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two favorites currently (and will see about a third one on Monday):

#1 still my Martin Schmidt lightweight rotary: still among the best three horns I played in my life. Perfect for anything in orchestra, smaller groups, quintet/quartet/trio, jazz, pops, … except if you need full power commercial/funk/rock lead capacities. Awesome sound and response and flexibility. Broad and warm sound with that sparkle.

#2 my Conn 6B that I acquired a while back but only really started playing about six months ago. Super slick valves, great intonation and very mouthpiece sensitive. Plug in a symphonic piece or a Curry TC cup and you can hang with the rotaries; take a lead piece and off you go (though it would be hard to compete with a true lead horn/mouthpiece combo). Extremely nimble and agile horn, too. Needs a cleaning and some minor repairs.

#3 to be seen meaning: I’ll get my C trumpet back from my tech on Monday. Yes, it’s „only“ a Bb/C conversion of my first horn but with a completely new leadpipe, new tuning slide, and a few more adjustments (and everything done by a real pro) it’s in fact a much better C than it ever was in Bb - though I did like the Bb incarnation quite a bit.

And then of course yesterday I had the chance to play a new prototype from said tech. Easiest high register and commercial horn I ever played - will need to find out what he charges for it. Would be the perfect contrast to my Schmidt.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still my Olds Recording.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Bb trumpets, a C trumpet, a Bb cornet, a flugelhorn and a picc. Not a huge collection, but all awesome horns. Hard to say which is my favorite, but I'll go with my Getzen 800DLX Bb cornet -- such a sweet horn! -- as it is the one that I find excuses to play.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Benge 3X that I like a lot.
I've got an Adams A-9 on order that I hope - finally - will be my favourite.

The A-9 is Adams' answer to the Committee.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
btomcik

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite horn is my XO 1700 picc. So much fun to play!
XO 1700 Bb/A picc
"Hit it hard, and wish it well." - CG
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said this before. My favorite horn is my Olds Super Recording. I have had a brass inst. repair shop since 1977. I have played MANY horns. Sometimes one comes through the shop and I think it is better than my SR. I take it to a gig, and after the first set, it is back in its case and my SR is back at work.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Super 20, model S2 (HN White) since about 1963.
I have never done any serious comparison shopping, since I don't know of it having any problems. Have done brief 'tries' of other horns, but haven't run across any wowzers.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Thane Performance with red brass 72 bell, traditional water keys and my blueprinted Bach 239 25A C in raw brass.
Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently in my possession, Wild Thing, Schilke B6b, and Wild Thing fluegel.

They all have their purpose, but for what I am doing now (playing a few hymns or worship songs with the praise team at church from time to time) the B6b is the favorite.
Ozzbo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:18 pm    Post subject: Favorite Trumpet I own Reply with quote

Out of 60+ horns....my 1977 Benge CG Trumpet !!!!

Best of the Best.

Ozzy
chiefgearhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a doubt my 1956 Deluxe Large Bore Martin Committee. There are so many reasons why I love this horn. As a fan of vintage things (cars, watches, motorcycles, etc.) and a musician whose favorite musical period is jazz from the 40s-60s, and also someone who was deeply influence by Miles Davis, it only makes sense that his horn of choice would be the one with which I would have such a profound love.

I'd wanted one for years, but good examples for reasonable prices are rare, and so it's poetic that I found one for sale by a woman whose mother bought it for her from a used music store in Sugarland, Texas, in 1964, when she was a senior in high school. After she graduated it sat in her closet for decades, until she decided to sell it. It's the trumpet equivalent of a "barn find" in the automotive world; original but used, in very good condition, and nearly completely original.

I had Sherry at Artistic Engraving touch up the bell where someone buffed out some of the artwork, but other than that, it's original.

It is not easy to play, especially when compared to my Lotus, but the sound it makes, the way it feels in my hands, the musical mana contained within, is to me, pure magic.

-tj
18 Adams F2
In the closet
82 L.A. Benge MLP
71 Bach 37 Stradivarius
69 Courtois flugelhorn
1949 Blessing Artist
84 DEG Dynasty 2v G Bugle
74 Conn Director
LadFree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchased a Reynolds 50 from 1949,mostly out of curiosity;(and they sold it for $250!) It was quite tarnished,but the valves and compression were great.Did some work on sanding out the"age" and under was a nice looking brass. As i`ve been loving an Olds Super for a few years now, I cant wait for the gig season to start up to check out the Reynolds on the bandstand..So far feels great in the practice room..Also my Bach 43* is great but the ease of this Reynolds is fantastic,which is what we 70 year old tpt players look for!
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach Stradivarius, 180 ML 3, 1975. Standard model. First and only owner.

Valve job, blueprint, and red-rot leadpipe replacment by Jim Becker. All dings removed, stripped, relacquered. After almost 50 years, nothing can compare. I like my Silver Flair, Yamaha, and Wild Thing, but if I could only have one, it's the Bach. The first instrument I play every morning.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
irememberchet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:47 pm    Post subject: Favorite Trumpet You Own Reply with quote

I like different horns for different jobs and styles of play.

My Favorite?

1. For playing as a soloist or featured player, my Monette MF Prana. The sound this instrument helps me produce is very rich, with gorgeous overtones, and a very pure in tune sound without having to lip notes up or down or fight my equipment. Excellent sound, range, and lights up as you ascend. Always play the Monette in a recording studio situation.

2. For a lot of commercial gigs playing jazz, rock, and R&B type stuff, I love my Yamaha Eric Miyashiro trumpet. A very lightweight horn with an oversize bell, it plays really well, projects well, and probably blends better in a commercial setting than my Monette.

3. For commercial gigs where I choose not to play the Eric Miyashiro Yamaha, I tend to favor my Gold Plated Wild Thing. With the .470 bore, the Wild Thing has a big full sound, and is surprisingly easy to play in a variety of musical settings.

Three very different horns in different settings, but I LOVE them all!
1940 Martin Handcraft Committee #3 Large Bore
Yamaha 8335 LA II Bergeron Custom
Yamaha 8340 EM Eric Miyashiro
Schilke Handcraft HC1
Taylor Phatboy Flugelhorn
chiefgearhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Trumpet You Own Reply with quote

That’s a very nice collection you have there. I think the Yamaha Miyashiro is one of the most overlooked horns out there. I had one, sold it, and replaced it with my Lotus. I’d love to have another Miyashiro but I don’t really have a need for one and it would just sit in my closet.

-tj

irememberchet wrote:
I like different horns for different jobs and styles of play.

My Favorite?

1. For playing as a soloist or featured player, my Monette MF Prana. The sound this instrument helps me produce is very rich, with gorgeous overtones, and a very pure in tune sound without having to lip notes up or down or fight my equipment. Excellent sound, range, and lights up as you ascend. Always play the Monette in a recording studio situation.

2. For a lot of commercial gigs playing jazz, rock, and R&B type stuff, I love my Yamaha Eric Miyashiro trumpet. A very lightweight horn with an oversize bell, it plays really well, projects well, and probably blends better in a commercial setting than my Monette.

3. For commercial gigs where I choose not to play the Eric Miyashiro Yamaha, I tend to favor my Gold Plated Wild Thing. With the .470 bore, the Wild Thing has a big full sound, and is surprisingly easy to play in a variety of musical settings.

Three very different horns in different settings, but I LOVE them all!

18 Adams F2
In the closet
82 L.A. Benge MLP
71 Bach 37 Stradivarius
69 Courtois flugelhorn
1949 Blessing Artist
84 DEG Dynasty 2v G Bugle
74 Conn Director
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: