• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Moving Insurance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:31 am    Post subject: Moving Insurance Reply with quote

I will be moving cross country.

When using a full-service national moving company, what kind of instrument insurance would you recommend and for what value?

I have 3 Schilke trumpets (Bb, C, & picc) all purchased new, a used Olds flugelhorn, and various protective cases. If I don't sell it before the move, I'll also have a Kanstul 991, also purchased new. All of my stuff is in pristine condition.

Thanks.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of having a large 'moving company' do those items, you might check at local UPS or FEDEX stores about their fees for packing and insuring. If you have the shipper responsible for packing, that can help in case there needs to be a claim.
And take lots of good pictures of the instruments, and record all model and serial numbers.
I wouldn't have accessories in the case (no mpc, mutes, etc. - nothing that could rattle around).
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you yourself getting to your new location? If you are driving, I'd recommend taking the horns along with you. There should be enough space in your vehicle for 5 horns plus some cases.

Even if you take them with you, I would pack some crumpled newspaper around the horns in their cases so that they can't rattle around in transit. I was once shipped a horn loose in its case, and a harsh impact in transit caused the valve block to distort enough to freeze all the pistons.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of how you ship them, I would definitely insure them with a musical-instrument specific insurer. I don't want insurance agents who are unfamiliar with musical instruments, evaluating the condition or worth of my instruments, which you probably get with a general household insurer. Check out Clarion, Huntington T. Block and Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance Solutions. (I used Clarion.)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Regardless of how you ship them, I would definitely insure them with a musical-instrument specific insurer. I don't want insurance agents who are unfamiliar with musical instruments, evaluating the condition or worth of my instruments, which you probably get with a general household insurer. Check out Clarion, Huntington T. Block and Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance Solutions. (I used Clarion.)

+1

The only exception to this might be if you have your instruments individually listed as addenda on your homeowner's/renter's policy, with conditions and values described based on appraisals by a brass instrument expert whom you trust.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Regardless of how you ship them, I would definitely insure them with a musical-instrument specific insurer. ...

--------------------------
Anyone have firsthand experience with a claim using that process?
My guess is that it would be a ball-of-snakes with a lot of finger-pointing and blame shifting.
1) Music Instrument Insurer - convince us that you packaged it correctly and bought full coverage insurance for the actual shipping.
2) Shipper - what special handling / insurance arrangements did you make with us?

This probably happens often with 'traveling groups' when the equipment is moved as freight - airline, chartered bus, etc. - hence the need for really sturdy and durable 'travel cases'.

I'd be real careful about assuming that typical 'musical instrument insurance' would cover damage that occurred during 'professional shipping' and there might be a lot of questions if it happened during personal 'move travel' - as opposed to going-returning to a local music event.

here's a little video from Clarion that seems relevant - especially the 'in transit' at the end.
https://youtu.be/NLj_0OnaZsQ
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do ship them, you can buy some Fra-jee-lé (Fragile) stickers from Amazon and put them on all six sides of each box. Since I started doing this a few years ago on horns sold, I have not had a problem. Maybe that's why, maybe not...but it's a cheap addition.
btomcik

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've moved between states several times, and have always brought my horns with me. Now, I've driven each time so I had the room to bring them along in the car; if you're flying that might be a different story. But nonetheless, my horns are all insured under a personal articles rider to my homeowner's insurance.
XO 1700 Bb/A picc
"Hit it hard, and wish it well." - CG
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I like the idea of checking with Clarion, Huntington T. Block and Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance Solutions to inquire about their offerings.

I'm moving from the west coast to the east coast, essentially putting all of my worldly possession in a moving van. My car is going to be shipped cross country on a car carrier. My wife and I will be traveling via Southwest Airlines.

Thanks again to all responders!
btomcik

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I like the idea of checking with Clarion, Huntington T. Block and Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance Solutions to inquire about their offerings.

I'm moving from the west coast to the east coast, essentially putting all of my worldly possession in a moving van. My car is going to be shipped cross country on a car carrier. My wife and I will be traveling via Southwest Airlines.

Thanks again to all responders!

Best of luck with the move Jerry!
XO 1700 Bb/A picc
"Hit it hard, and wish it well." - CG
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay. Wow! What brought that on? The insurers I mentioned are very honest and reliable. And, yes, I personally made a couple of claims with Clarion and they took care of business to my satisfaction straight away. That's their job.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been successful with putting labels on the box saying: „fragile - honey - do not drop!“

It seems like no one wants honey all over his moving/postal/whatever truck and as a result the DO handle the package with care.

Some pro packaging advice can be found here, but you probably know that: https://www.eppstore-instruments.de/Versand
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you say „fragile - honey - do not drop!“ in the American South, the package handler may think you're addressing them.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance is sensible, but if the instrument itself is irreplacable then getting some money back isn’t gonna do much good imho. You may want to consider bringing the one most dear to you with you on the plane instead. Otherwise, investing in some heavy duty protective packaging may also be wise.

Anyway, good luck with your move and safe travels.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

„If you say „fragile - honey - do not drop!“ in the American South, the package handler may think you're addressing them.“

Honestly, I didn’t think of this In German (at least I hope so …), no one would say „Honig“ to his SO

There is only the „Honigkuchenpferd“ but that’s yet another story.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Jay. Wow! What brought that on? The insurers I mentioned are very honest and reliable. And, yes, I personally made a couple of claims with Clarion and they took care of business to my satisfaction straight away. That's their job.

-----------------------------------------
The situation of insurance coverage when an item is shipped (UPS, FEDEX, USPS, etc.) can get complicated.
In that video from Clarion - https://youtu.be/NLj_0OnaZsQ
at timestamp 46 seconds, they suggest
"find a specialized insurance policy that covers instruments in transit and for shipping"
It wasn't clear to me that a typical Clarion policy would provide that type of 'specialized' coverage.

I don't question Clarion (or other companies) about how they handle claims that clearly fall within their coverage agreement - but when the item is 'under the care' of a shipping company, things might get complicated.

Did your claims involve a shipping company? If so, please tell me about how it was handled.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Did your claims involve a shipping company? If so, please tell me about how it was handled."

Ah, I'm not going to go into all the details. The instruments were shipped by third parties. They were appraised and specifically insured by Criterion before hand and Criterion settled quickly and painlessly.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

Ah, I'm not going to go into all the details. The instruments were shipped by third parties. They were appraised and specifically insured by Criterion before hand and Criterion settled quickly and painlessly.

-----------
I'm glad it was settled.
Matt6VZ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I relocated last year, I faced a similar dilemma with valuable items. I found threemovers.com super helpful in navigating the process. As for insurance, considering the value and condition of your instruments, opting for comprehensive coverage might give you peace of mind. Better safe than sorry, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: