• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha 6335s

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Yamaha 6335s Reply with quote

I recently bought a lightly used Yamaha 6335S as a backup trumpet to replace my Carol 5000yls. I love this horn! Has a great sound with both some darkness and some sparkle, a comfortable blow, good intonation and is very responsive.

The first few days I thought it was a little stuffy at the top end but once I adjusted to the different blow, it felt even.

Really nice all around trumpet!
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prepare yourself for the CB being the backup horn.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh the CB was my backup horn. I sold it and replaced it with the Yamaha. I like to sell/trade my backup periodically to keep life interesting
The Carol played great but was too open for me with that reverse pipe and large bell flare.
MrGBand
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny. I see more and more people (pros included) going back to that horn. I guess it's due in part to the cost and the, in my estimation, movement back to a more traditional trumpet sound/response.....getting away from the heavy horns.
Pic Yahama 6810s
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a good horn. I played one professionally for a couple of years. I think it is especially good for high school students who can pick one up used and walk away with something that keeps them moving forward but won't break bank. Same with the Xeno line.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm enjoying it a lot. It's just a good middle of the road Bb trumpet in my opinion. My only problem is that my main two mouthpiece tops are a little too shallow and a little too deep for the sound I want. So I'm going to have to get Jim New to make me something in the middle. Such is life.
Bixfan1927

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Yamaha YTR-8335 LA Custom Series Reply with quote

I need to purchase a new trumpet asap, as I am playing in my church this summer, and my old Getzen is no longer serviceable (my own fault for not having played it in years). A friend of mine, who plays professionally, gave me his Yamaha YTR-8335 LA Custom Series Bb trumpet to borrow, so that I could get a feel for it. This instrument is very responsive, valves smooth, with a sound that really projects. I feel that hitting high notes requires less effort (don't think that is my imagination). I believe that I have fallen in love!
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: 6335S Reply with quote

I got a regular seat playing with a Latin Band back in the early 80s and used my Benge 5X for the first few gigs. It worked well and I heard no complaints from the other musicians. Then I played a friend's new 6335s one afternoon and was blown away by the upper register. I bought one over the next couple of days (Serial #0020XX) and played it that night with the Latin Band and then a couple of days later on my regular Big Band lead gig. In both cases, many of my associates asked about the horn. They loved the change. So did I, and that horn is still my goto for certain styles, especially playing lead in a section even this many years later!!! A couple of years ago, I began a search for a new horn (more out of desire than necessity) and the 6335s was my measuring device. I ended up with a Bach NY7 mostly because it had that familiar blow across the entire range. I have been most fortunate to have played on some very nice horns, most of which I still own and use regularly.
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha YTR-8335 LA Custom Series Reply with quote

Bixfan1927 wrote:
I need to purchase a new trumpet asap, as I am playing in my church this summer, and my old Getzen is no longer serviceable (my own fault for not having played it in years).

I'd be shocked if a clean and check up at your local brass shop doesn't get it back in playing shape.

On the 6335, I've always liked mine. People kept telling me I needed to "upgrade" to a Bach, but I never found one that played as well as mine (one that was for sale, anyway).
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Tony Kadleck may be playing the Yamaha 6335 now. Not positive though.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experiences so far with this trumpet are that it can be both really very 'dark' with a deep cup, or very Bach like with a Bach C cup mouthpiece, or it can get really quite bright with a sparkle depending on your mouthpiece.

I actually don't have any medium cups in my diameter, and James New has been out of action for a while now waiting on his machines to get moved to his new address so I haven't been able to get him to send me a new piece yet.

We'll get there though.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question... Does anyone know if the 6335s tuning slide is interchangable with the 6335H tuning slide?
Or with any other Yamaha models?

The slide in mine is quite loose. Not loose enough to leak but loose enough to move if playing loudly with a mute. Or when emptying spit so that you need to move it again.

I suspect it's either been too vigorously cleaned or it is a slide from a different model or something.

That said, I would be curious to try a 6335H slide if they're interchangeable. Probably a bad idea but maybe not?
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let the tubes expand a little bit by a qualified repairman.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cheap fix to that tuning slide is remove and widen a very very small touch. This will put it a bit out of alignment and will then grip better. Go easy on it, start with too little force so you don't mess it up and take several rounds.

This tip I got from Robb Stewart.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also get a white grease made by Hetman which is made for the purpose of immobilizing loose slides.
Vince.Green
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
Question... Does anyone know if the 6335s tuning slide is interchangable with the 6335H tuning slide?
Or with any other Yamaha models?

The slide in mine is quite loose. Not loose enough to leak but loose enough to move if playing loudly with a mute. Or when emptying spit so that you need to move it again.

I suspect it's either been too vigorously cleaned or it is a slide from a different model or something.

That said, I would be curious to try a 6335H slide if they're interchangeable. Probably a bad idea but maybe not?
The 6335S is a medium weight horn and has a different outer diameter from the other models. Mouthpiece express sells this slide online for a very reasonable price (under $40 if I recall). May be a better option than taking it to a shop.
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm down to just 1 trumpet right now, and was considering a a back-up in case of a trumpeting emergency.

That Yamaha 6335 seems like it gets good reviews, I thought it was an intermediate, not pro-level horn. But it costs double what the Carol does, a used one goes for as much as I paid for my 5000-YLT!

Are the 4000 series good also?
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played on one recently and really liked it.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/winds/trumpets/bb_trumpets/ytr-6335/index.html

Listed as a Professional Model
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Ed Hernandez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6335S was my main all around horn for about 5 years in the early 2000's. I sold it for the 8310 which I played for a few years. I've moved on to the Stomvi S3 about a year ago and I'm loving it. Current back-up is a King Silver Flair which I'm strongly considering replacing with.... What else...., the 6335 which served me well back then. 😳 Yep..., just keeping life exciting I guess.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
You can also get a white grease made by Hetman which is made for the purpose of immobilizing loose slides.

I was under an impression that Hetman discontinued this a few years ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: