• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Heat, humidity, and range

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Heat, humidity, and range Reply with quote

i have to do a lot of my unmuted practicing outside so as not to freak the rest of the family out.

I find as the session goes on, I have a harder time consistently staying strong at the top of my range in hot and humid weather.

Anybody else notice this?
deleted_user_48e5f31

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Outdoors Reply with quote

Deleted by dfcoleman

Last edited by deleted_user_48e5f31 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing outdoors often lead players to overplay to compensate for the lace of feedback. It's a takes a lot of care to just accept the reduced feedback and not alter your normal approach and effort.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine it comes down to how hot and humid it is and how that affects you, in and of itself.

I have played gigs in Japan and Okinawa where the heat/humidity was oppressive. It took its toll, generally, but I don't recall its affecting my proficiency. I just had to put out more energy.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I look upon it is

Playing and practicing at home only allows me to piss off 2 or 3 people. Playing and practicing outdoors allows me to piss of at least 100 people.

The trumpet can carry for over a mile so they can run but they cannot hide.

Scatter vermin.

Trumpet truly is the gift that keeps on giving.

Outdoors I suffer unexpected wind - not always from the chillie I ate last night, rain, sleet, snow, traffic noise, and bloody birds cheeping chirping and twittering unmusically. Have they no sense of rhythm.

But the worst of it is the cop car and ambulance sirens and the trucks making my ears bleed. The big truck air horns from 10 paces can wake the dead.

On the plus side I have been banned from the entire city according to idiot security staff in malls who upon questioning insist that music is not allowed, as we walk past mall shops all playing music, and they insist that no mall customers are allowed to sing if they choose to or even to hum to themselves.

I strike a blow for peoples rights to hum when they choose to. There is not enough humming going on in the world.

You cant write this stuff.

I have to report that a side effect of playing out doors is I actually got better and people now follow me around and I cant shake em off. I feel like the pied piper followed by an ocean of rats. Children are beginning to flock to me.

Does anyone know directions to Hamelin.

I am officially questioning my life choices.

My advice is Dont practice outdoors unless you want to get better.
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Bohland and Fuchs peashooter Trumpet
Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
Lark M4045 Cornet
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Playing outdoors often lead players to overplay to compensate for the lace of feedback. It's a takes a lot of care to just accept the reduced feedback and not alter your normal approach and effort.

This is it for me. Head problems. Anxiety.

Can't hear myself as well, so blow harder, tire quicker.
Sweating makes me self conscious, like people are noticing. So lose concentration and finesse.
I hear the sounds differently, so alter my approach and effort, as cheiden said.

All this makes me a different (worse) player.

Trouble is, as with many things in my life, I know the problem and how to overcome. Implementing the solution is a battle between knowledge and emotion!
Tivolian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
The way I look upon it is

Playing and practicing at home only allows me to piss off 2 or 3 people. Playing and practicing outdoors allows me to piss of at least 100 people.

The trumpet can carry for over a mile so they can run but they cannot hide.

Scatter vermin.

Trumpet truly is the gift that keeps on giving.

Outdoors I suffer unexpected wind - not always from the chillie I ate last night, rain, sleet, snow, traffic noise, and bloody birds cheeping chirping and twittering unmusically. Have they no sense of rhythm.

But the worst of it is the cop car and ambulance sirens and the trucks making my ears bleed. The big truck air horns from 10 paces can wake the dead.

On the plus side I have been banned from the entire city according to idiot security staff in malls who upon questioning insist that music is not allowed, as we walk past mall shops all playing music, and they insist that no mall customers are allowed to sing if they choose to or even to hum to themselves.

I strike a blow for peoples rights to hum when they choose to. There is not enough humming going on in the world.

You cant write this stuff.

I have to report that a side effect of playing out doors is I actually got better and people now follow me around and I cant shake em off. I feel like the pied piper followed by an ocean of rats. Children are beginning to flock to me.

Does anyone know directions to Hamelin.

I am officially questioning my life choices.

My advice is Dont practice outdoors unless you want to get better.

Hands down, the best entry I've seen in TH.
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Heat, humidity, and range Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
i have to do a lot of my unmuted practicing outside so as not to freak the rest of the family out.

I find as the session goes on, I have a harder time consistently staying strong at the top of my range in hot and humid weather.

Time to hit the Gym. jw
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Heat, humidity, and range Reply with quote

wilder wrote:
Croquethed wrote:

Time to hit the Gym. jw

I run 2.2 miles every morning. Lungs like iron. Not to be confused with an iron lung.
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess the heat is just getting to you then.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
i think it depends on your physiology or your possibilities to acclimate yourself.
I'm used and prefer hot dry climate (which is mine), rather than hot humid ones
best
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started playing in hot, sweaty clubs in San Francisco around 30 years ago, I wasn't prepared for the environment. I was used to playing in situations where I could keep my lips somewhat dry. When I started playing in clubs, I had to adjust to playing on a constantly wet embouchure.

It was a major adjustment.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Outdoors Reply with quote

dfcoleman wrote:
I’m not sure if playing outdoors affects my range, endurance etc., but for some reason I dislike outdoor performances. Bugs, wind, sweat, random noise.

Give me a climate controlled hall any day.

You and me both! Which is especially unfortunate now, the gigs that are beginning to come back have mostly been outdoors, because of the virus.

Brad
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I practice outside I can play really strong, high, and freeee, but I don't like the tone quality that I hear. Humidity has not bothered me personally. Make sure you are keeping your tone full through registers and play relaxed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: