• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The story of moving from Bach 1 1/4C to GR 67L

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trompetissimo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: The story of moving from Bach 1 1/4C to GR 67L Reply with quote

Hi all,
Knowing that the discussion around mouthpieces will never rest, I want to share my mouthpiece journey that ended up with GR 67L.

Throughout my entire career I have played on large mouthpieces (mostly regular Bach 1 1/4C, but also 1 1/2B and 1C).
I am a big believer in the benefits of playing on large sized mouthpieces, in general because they are more equipped to take your efforts into actions without compromising stuff like sound, intonation or articulation. Ok - you have to be in shape, but it is worth it.

With the Bach mouthpieces I was really satisfied with the broad sound they supported for me, what I really tried to overcome (as a challenge), was to focus the sound and center the core of each tone - this was a challenge in my playing, and of course - I aimed to overcome it by hours of practice....not by falling into the “mouthpiece change marathon” approach.

The other challenge I had, was to develop my articulation to be more safe (knowing that I hit the middle of the the core sound) in all dynamics and register.
Again; I have always had the approach “let’s tackle this in the practice room”.

Couple of years ago, I heard friends and colleagues talking about the GR mouthpieces.
I had also jumped into the James Thompson buzzing approach (which I love, by the way). James played also on GR mouthpieces, and I decided to approach GR via email - mostly to ask what they would recommend knowing my current mouthpiece set up and desired goals.

GR 67L was recommended - I bought the piece, and (no joke) things fell in place with my playing immediately!

My efforts for sound (air and vibrations) where much more focused and centered, which also (of course) improved my pitch significant
But I have to say (personally) that the most significant and satisfying experience was that my articulation became exactly what I (during years of practice) have search for.

I have never believed in the approach that change for equipment is the solution of improved playing - my beliefs is still that the challenge is mostly between our ears, and is beaded on the hours of practice you put into it, BUT for me - changing to GR mouthpiece (67L) has really been a game changer for my playing.

Trompetissimo
Bach Stradivarius/Bob Malone Bb
Bach Stradivarius/Bb Malone C
Yamaha Bb Cornet
Schilke Eb
GR 67L Trumpet mouthpiece
Dennis Wick 4B Cornet mouthpiece
DLA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Update please Reply with quote

Just wondering if you're still playing the GR 67L and what your discoveries have been since you did your original post. I ask because I'm considering moving from a Bach 1C to the same GR mouthpiece.
Yamaha Custom Pic
Holton Flugel F-100
Xeno 8620 Yamaha Eb Sop. Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: