• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to Breath?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Author
tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2001-11-24 02:48
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to Superchops, what is the best way to breath in the different registers?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

goldenhornplayer

Posted: 2001-11-30 18:57
This, I can speak to with some authority. When I went for my first lesson with Jerome, we got to know each other first by just talking in general for a few minutes. Finally, he basically said "show me what you're got". As I took a breath to play my first note, he stopped me and told me that I had two problems and not just one problem. Not only did I not know how to play with a SC embouchure but I didn't know how to breathe either. He explained that, especially with SC, one must learn how to push air and not blow air. Air is pushed, as you suggested, by the abdomen muscles. Due to the extreme amount of lip compression that is possible with SC, Jerome explained that one could really hurt himself by trying to "blow" against that compression. It's much easier and safer to "push" the air. He also showed me how little air is really needed to get a big sound. In fact, many of the recent refinements to SC have been developed to increase the efficiency. As he also explains, since he's in his 70's, it's important to learn to play without needing a hugh volume of air because you won't always be able to do that. He certainly made a believer out of me.

nicolashuang
Veteran Member

Posted: 2002-12-13 22:57
so how do you push air?

fzr Phil
Veteran Member

Posted: 2002-12-13 23:35
e.g, if you are sitting relaxed you should be able to expell an amount of air simply by pulling in your stomach towards your spine. this could be considered as pushing the air up and out. again, this concept can be in reverse from how you might have normally breathed i.e breath in hard and play by relaxing your stomach.

you do have to be careful when experimenting with air usage.

sorry must go to work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: