• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Need help identfying a Benge 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kanizark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:17 am    Post subject: Need help identfying a Benge 5 Reply with quote

Hey folks, A Benge 5 with a serial number of 119xxx is up for auction on Ebay. One of the pics show the valves with the xxx whited out. Is this one of the post LA cheaply manufactured models?

Thanks!
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a UMI and/or Conn/Selmer instrument made at the King factory in Eastlake, OH, That doesn't mean it's a bad horn, might be perfectly decent, just don't pay a lot for it, as they don't bring as much in resale value.
https://yourbrass.com/
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought much about until now but I have had a Benge 5 flugelhorn since the late 70’s (serial number 20699). According to horn-u-copia that puts it as having been made in 1977. On the bell it is stamped as having been custom made by Benge in LA. So where was it actually made? It’s not terribly important as I like the way it plays and have no interest in selling it. I’m just curious.
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rwwilson wrote:
I never thought much about until now but I have had a Benge 5 flugelhorn since the late 70’s (serial number 20699). According to horn-u-copia that puts it as having been made in 1977. On the bell it is stamped as having been custom made by Benge in LA. So where was it actually made? It’s not terribly important as I like the way it plays and have no interest in selling it. I’m just curious.
Anaheim.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably this was made in Eastlake OH around 1986 to 1987 or so after King restarted their serial numbers.

https://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/resources/serial-numbers/king-instrument-serial-numbers

A few years later it appears they switched to the prefix + 50 system.

I have a 9xx,xxx serial series 7X from 1985 or 1986. Made in Eastlake. It looks like a Benge, plays like a Benge and uses Benge parts. I'm pleased with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: