• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Braces

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
honey44

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Braces Reply with quote

So I have had braces for the last two years and when I first got them on it took me 2 months to adjust. I'm about to get my braces off soon and I'm worried that a lot of my playing progress that I've worked on in the last two years will be gone afterward. If you have had braces how did it affect your playing after you got them off?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will likely adjust very quickly, and your playing will become much better.
A WARNING though ... without braces you might be tempted to use excessive upper lip mouthpiece pressure to increase your range. Yes, high mouthpiece pressure can result in being able to squeak-out some high notes, but it can also cause lip injury and it will not be successful for continual upper range development (you'll 'hit the wall' at some point).

Upper range playing is a 'learned skill', not a physical contest of being able to 'apply the pressure and take the pain'. There is lots of good info in the FUNDAMENTALS and HIGH RANGE DEVELOPMENT sections. Take the time to read and ask questions here and to your teacher.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wore Invisalign for a year in 2003-04 and the orthodontist advised me not to play. I wasn't interested in gigging due to work being so hectic and I didn't play.
I had a really hard time adjusting. I know others who had no issues at all. I played well from g above the staff but my middle register was awful. It eventually adjusted for the most part.
Everyone is different and you may have no trouble. Best of luck.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having taught many students with braces, there are steps you can tape to help the change back to normal post braces life.

1. Take some weeks off, both before and after braces removal.
2. Go slow and with your teachers guidance.
3. It will feel different, but with the break and guidance, it should be an easier change than just trying to muscle through it.

Cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: