• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Expensive Bach mouthpieces on ebay?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tedthetrumpet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:21 am    Post subject: Expensive Bach mouthpieces on ebay? Reply with quote

That rather looks like my old teacher Shaun Harrold offering some vintage Bach pieces on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vincent-Bach-New-York-17C1-Antique-Trumpet-Mouthpiece/254673137690 £700

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vincent-Bach-New-York-3C-Antique-Trumpet-Mouthpiece/254673465431 £650

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vincent-Bach-Mount-Vernon-1-1-4-C-Trumpet-Mouthpiece/254673476876 £720

Can the really be worth that much?!
Bach Strad LR 180-43S ML #315618
Selmer Paris 99 'Radial' #51474
Yamaha YTR-634 #014824
Lafleur Flugelhorn #631830
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's another ebay auction for the first one so my guess is...maybe?

Would be nice to learn why though. Just te age wouldn't be enough reason to me...but maybe to others it does?
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a difficult discussion. Especially the MtV mouthpieces 3C and bigger make prices from 300 dollar up and I know people with know how who claim they are worth it (the MtV 3C owned by Arturo made school by a bunch of mouthpiece makers, now he plays a MtV 1 1/2 I thought).
The smaller mp's don't make that kind of money, in this case I presume the 17C maybe interesting for some because Clifford Brown played one.
Aspeyrer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are worth whatever someone is willing to pay.

I’ve sold Bach Corp pieces from the 1960s for $30 (usually 1C -1.5C) for $30 that I’ve seen reposted and resold for $150.

The material cost is close to $1, but we know we aren’t paying for that

If you really want a 1.25 mtv, it’s going to cost you, time searching or money.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea my Mt. Vernon mouthpieces could be my retirement plan.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Expensive Bach mouthpieces on ebay? Reply with quote

tedthetrumpet wrote:
That rather looks like my old teacher Shaun Harrold offering some vintage Bach pieces on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vincent-Bach-New-York-17C1-Antique-Trumpet-Mouthpiece/254673137690 £700

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vincent-Bach-New-York-3C-Antique-Trumpet-Mouthpiece/254673465431 £650

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vincent-Bach-Mount-Vernon-1-1-4-C-Trumpet-Mouthpiece/254673476876 £720

Can the really be worth that much?!

On a good day, in very, very good condition? Yes - people will pay up to around those kinds of numbers for the big ones, so that's what they're worth (supply/demand).

The especially valuable two here are not in even moderately good condition - and current climate hardly constitutes a good day:

- The 17C1 is still rare and has some interest, but they don't command the kind of numbers the large sizes do at the best of times.

- The 3C is heavily modified from stock - shank shortened and cut for screw rims... By whom? When? How well?
Realistically this all decreases the value, especially sight unseen, as there probably aren't any satisfactory answers to this short of a VB shop card to go with it.

- The 1.25C has a significantly modified rim, something that can be make or break for any piece - the same questions apply as above.

Lest we forget, the pieces that go for the most are the larger, rare sizes, in good, unmodified condition (no aftermarket rim, throat, backbore mods and original plating preferably in good condition).

Someone's got over excited about what they have, here, methinks... Probably worth 1/5-1/10 of those figures.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay offers free publicity. You think that you know who the seller is, and other people might as well. That info can travel around fast. The seller might make a deal out of ebay, and won't have to pay any ebay fees. And who knows, somebody might actually buy one of those mpcs, even if the price is ridiculous. Win - win for the seller.
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple years ago I bought a lot of 20 mouthpieces here on trumpet herald for about 40 bucks, and sure enough one of them was a Vincent Bach Corp New York 17C1, and it's in great condition. I've been thinking of selling it, but I don't think I'm going to anytime soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: