• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How loud is your upper register?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for a little listening (just for the sake of enjoyment):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh5vCjIfJVQ
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm usually not one impressed by pyrotechnics. Chet over Faddis, you know. But . . damn!!

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

Is it the mouthpiece or the horn do you reckon? I guess I better buy both just in case

Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

Along those lines, here's the immortal Cat Anderson flirting with, or perhaps above, notes at the top of the piano. Live in concert, no less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvnC3U4fG3s
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard Cat in person when I was senior in high school. He was with Lionel Hampton. Good all round player and used the plunger on one of his solos.
Check out Satin Doll from Duke's 70th birthday on youtube. Cat just tears the roof off. There's no video, only audio.
I love hearing Clark play anything. One of my all time favorites.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subtropical and Subpar wrote:
John Mohan wrote:

Along those lines, here's the immortal Cat Anderson flirting with, or perhaps above, notes at the top of the piano. Live in concert, no less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvnC3U4fG3s

Good lord, even Maynard couldn't do anything like that. Maynard could play loud and high, but never with that level of dexterity or precision in all registers. I can't think of anyone who has come even close to level of ease and control in the upper register that they can just *playfully* pick a F over double C out of thin air. Just not fair! hahah
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
Good lord, even Maynard couldn't do anything like that. Maynard could play loud and high, but never with that level of dexterity or precision in all registers. I can't think of anyone who has come even close to level of ease and control in the upper register that they can just *playfully* pick a F over double C out of thin air. Just not fair! hahah

Dunno about the precision comparison. I'd be curious to have heard Cat try his hand at "Maynard Ferguson".

Cat played some freaky notes, but my impression is he was a three-minute hero in that squeakissimo range.

You think Cat could have cut the Kenton book that young Maynard played?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
Trumpetingbynurture wrote:

Dunno about the precision comparison. I'd be curious to have heard Cat try his hand at "Maynard Ferguson".

Cat played some freaky notes, but my impression is he was a three-minute hero in that squeakissimo range.

You think Cat could have cut the Kenton book that young Maynard played?

A nasty post. You missed your chance. Why did you not stop after ‘dunno’?
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:

A nasty post.

No it isn't.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:

What gives you that impression?

johnlakejazz.com
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakejw wrote:
Robert P wrote:

I can assure you he was no 3 minute hero. He was very powerful in person. When I heard him in 73 he damn near blew the roof off the theater. He could have played anyone's book, he was that good. I believe he did a fair amount of studio work toward the end of his life.
Sometimes recordings don't give a true example of a players sound. Faddis is way more powerful in person than recordings would lead you to believe. Arturo as well.
Maynard did not play the lead book with Kenton from what I've read.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakejw wrote:
Robert P wrote:

Starting with the first video I saw of him I've seen examples of him blowing some freak notes and running out of gas.

He could play, just making observations.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:

Maynard did not play the lead book with Kenton from what I've read.

He played what I've heard referred to as "fly lead" - often an octave over the lead player.. I think he was technically the 4th or 5th chair. My question is whether Cat could have played the book Maynard played - didn't say lead book.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. P, you have not the slightest idea what kind of musician you had to be to be in the Ellington orchestra.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:
Heard Cat in person when I was senior in high school. He was with Lionel Hampton. Good all round player and used the plunger on one of his solos.
Check out Satin Doll from Duke's 70th birthday on youtube. Cat just tears the roof off. There's no video, only audio.
I love hearing Clark play anything. One of my all time favorites.

I have that recording of Satin Doll; you're right, Cat indeed blows the roof off.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Mr. P, you have not the slightest idea what kind of musician you had to be to be in the Ellington orchestra.

I've noticed that you like to use the phrase "you have no idea" when people say things that fall outside the scope of your approval. I understand - you're still peeved that I don't concede that you know more about how altering my teeth impacted my playing than I do.

They should have a "Sacred Cows - Adulation Only" forum here for those that can't abide objective observations about players.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:

You read my mind. Kenton's name was mentioned and the poster wanted to know if Cat could have played the book that Maynard played.
While Kenton had a good band, there's no comparison between Kenton and Ellington. Ellington is one of the most important musical figures of the 20th century. I liked Kenton's band and saw them several times, but don't think of him in the same way.
There's the old musician's joke/story. A guy dies and goes to heaven and is being shown around by St. Peter. There's a couple of rows of modest houses and St. Peter tells the guy that the houses are for the Popes. High up on a hill there's a lavish mansion, he tells the guy that Duke Ellington lives there. The guy wants to know why the popes get the modest houses and Duke gets a mansion. St. Peter says, there have been dozens of popes but only one Duke Ellington. It wouldn't get the same laughs if you used Kenton's name. My first trip to DC in 2012 I went to the U Street area and found Duke's two childhood homes and had my wife take my picture. We did this before we saw the White House. Dozens of Presidents but only one Duke.
One of the big disappointments for me is never getting the chance to see Duke live.
As for Cat Anderson, I may be the only person in this thread who heard him live. When I heard him it was a few months after I heard Maynard live for the first time. As amazing as Maynard was, I damn near exploded when Cat took off. He played a few solos where he barely went over high C and also used the plunger on one. He was so much more than a high note player.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:
delano wrote:

You read my mind. Kenton's name was mentioned and the poster wanted to know if Cat could have played the book that Maynard played.

You've got events a bit jumbled. I mentioned Maynard because a comparison was made that I don't find accurate. You have my permission to disagree. I'm the one who brought up Kenton since Maynard's playing with Kenton is what garnered Maynard fame to a larger audience and Maynard played a tough book with Kenton. Since there's no way to know by objective demonstration, what's a feature Cat played that you think overall is just as demanding of the soloist as "Maynard Ferguson"? I've heard a number of high-note guys play it, I haven't heard any I think compare to Maynard's version. Or how about "Titans"?

Quote:
While Kenton had a good band, there's no comparison between Kenton and Ellington. Ellington is one of the most important musical figures of the 20th century. I liked Kenton's band and saw them several times, but don't think of him in the same way.

I agree that Duke was a great musician and had superb bands. I tend not to be a Stan Kenton cheerleader because of unsavory allegations by his daughter Leslie but strictly speaking musically I think you're engaging in hyperbole in asserting his band wasn't in the same league as Ellington's. Clearly you don't think it's hyperbole.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
peanuts56 wrote:
delano wrote:

You've got events a bit jumbled. I mentioned Maynard because a comparison was made that I don't find accurate. You have my permission to disagree. I'm the one who brought up Kenton since Maynard's playing with Kenton is what garnered Maynard fame to a larger audience and Maynard played a tough book with Kenton. Since there's no way to know by objective demonstration, what's a feature Cat played that you think overall is just as demanding of the soloist as "Maynard Ferguson"? I've heard a number of high-note guys play it, I haven't heard any I think compare to Maynard's version. Or how about "Titans"?

Quote:

I agree that Duke was a great musician and had superb bands. I tend not to be a Stan Kenton cheerleader because of unsavory accusations by his daughter Leslie but strictly speaking musically I think you're engaging in hyperbole in asserting his band wasn't in the same league as Ellington's. Clearly you don't think it's hyperbole.

You clearly have way too much time on your hands. Go practice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: