• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How loud is your upper register?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
Brassnose wrote:
Not a meathead question at all: when I lived in Philly I was a regular at Ortliebs Jazzhouse before it became an upscale fashion hangout (regular to the point that the barkeepers would pour my beer when I opened the door, but that’s another story). One night Terrell Stafford showed up and played some. He was SIGNIFICANTLY louder than all the other cats I had heard before. He did not seem to push it, it was just the way he played.
I have also been baptized by Terrell Stafford's loud sound. He def. steps on the gas pedal. I used to try to play like that all the time and had to take a different approach..

Some people seem to be blessed with that ability right from the start. I taught band, string and chorus for 34 years. 11 of those were middle school and my last 13 were in an arts magnet elementary school. Two kids stand out in that they had that commanding sound. The first one was a kid I had when he came to the middle school I was at and had been playing a few years. The second was a kid I started in 3rd grade. The initial trumpet group was was 4 kids. Two sets of fraternal twins. I nicknamed them Ziggy and Zaggy and Frick and Frack. Frick was just a natural and was the only one who continued playing. He sounded like a lead player right from the get go. He also played guitar and liked country music, loved Johnny Cash. His guitar teacher is a friend and she took him to an open mic when he 11-12. She wrote out the mariachi trumpet line from Ring Of Fire and they played it at the open mic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: